Calor Gas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hat Dude 11 May 2023

I've just discovered that Calor Gas in their wisdom have discontinued the 3.9kg gas bottles for both Propane and Butane 

Really annoying as the front box on my GoPod is designed for these & I've now got to lash out on a Flow Gas or very expensive Gasflow alternative

I suspect a lot of UKC van owners use this size so in case you didn't know, thought I'd give a heads up to not leave it until the last minute before a trip if you need a refill.

Sealwife 11 May 2023
In reply to Hat Dude:

I “think” they might have changed their minds on that but the 3.9kgs are in very short supply so not easy to get a full one.

There was an outcry because lots of people rely on them, caravans, vans, boats and have lockers specifically designed to fit.

OP Hat Dude 11 May 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

Latest I've just read is that they have delayed rolling it out, hopefully permanently!

JimR 11 May 2023
In reply to Hat Dude:

Flogas equivalents are taller so check locker size if switching 

Hooo 11 May 2023
In reply to Hat Dude:

You could start doing your own refills?

It's a popular solution with CampingGaz users once they find out how expensive a refill is. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a Calor cylinder.

Ridge 11 May 2023
In reply to Hooo:

> You could start doing your own refills?

> It's a popular solution with CampingGaz users once they find out how expensive a refill is. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a Calor cylinder.

How would you do that, link your empty 3.9kg cylinder to a (for example) 47kg cylinder and let them equalise?

Ridge 11 May 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

> I “think” they might have changed their minds on that but the 3.9kgs are in very short supply so not easy to get a full one.

Shortage of most cylinders. According to the guy I get my home cylinders from, due to the empties being turned into home made stoves for the patio / gazebo / summerhouse / van during lockdown.

Hooo 11 May 2023
In reply to Ridge:

I have a 15kg Calor cylinder. You need to hang it upside down from a tree (you definitely don't want to do this indoors!), So a 47kg cylinder might be a struggle. Connect it to the empty cylinder. Open both valves. The liquid butane flows into the empty cylinder. It takes 10 minutes or so. You can speed it up by warming the full cylinder and cooling the empty one, but I don't bother.

There are a few important safety points, so read up further (or I'll explain if you're interested?) before trying this.

OP Hat Dude 11 May 2023
In reply to JimR:

> Flogas equivalents are taller so check locker size if switching 

They evidently do one 340mm tall same as Calor

Purple 11 May 2023
In reply to Hat Dude:

The 'foot' of the similar Flogas cylinder is wider than the 3.9kg Calor so check if it's compatible with anything at the base of your gas box e.g. gas feed pipe.

I switched to Gaslow - not cheap but long term I'll appreciate having a fuel gauge and being able to fill up for cheap at the LPG pump.

Ciro 11 May 2023
In reply to Purple:

> I switched to Gaslow - not cheap but long term I'll appreciate having a fuel gauge and being able to fill up for cheap at the LPG pump.

I've gone with an underslung LPG tank, and it's great, but I am slightly concerned about the continued availability of LPG at the pump, as stations move over to electric.

Ridge 15 May 2023
In reply to Hooo:

Cheers. I'll bear it in mind!

LastBoyScout 15 May 2023
In reply to Ridge:

> Shortage of most cylinders. According to the guy I get my home cylinders from, due to the empties being turned into home made stoves for the patio / gazebo / summerhouse / van during lockdown.

Interesting. I know our local Scouts have a pile of 15Kg ones they don't want any more - they'd like to sell them to make a bit of space and money.

Fairly certain I'll get rid of our 15Kg one when it runs out and just stick with the 8Kg one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...