PRODUCT NEWS: Burton McCall to introduce anti-midge Thermacell at Outdoor Trade Show Manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 13 Jun 2018
Thermacell Competition, 4 kbThermacell repellent devices protect you and everyone around you within a 20m² area. No need to use smelly, harmful sprays or oily lotions. The technology uses heat to disperse a repellent into the air creating a zone of protection from those pesky mosquitoes, midges and other small flying insects. Now that's what we call freedom to enjoy the outdoors.

Read more
pasbury 14 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

If that works on the Scottish uber-midge I'll eat my DEET.

Hat Dude 14 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

If they were really confident of it, they'd introduce it somewhere like The Braemar Gathering

In reply to pasbury:

I know Dan is working on a review currently, so don't want to put words into his mouth, but here's a few initial impressions from my perspective:

Having given this a spin on Skye the other week when the midges were probably 8/10 (i.e impossible to be around without a headnet, with plumes/clouds of them forming around you), I can honestly say that there was no way that this device was ever going to stop them in their tracks - there were simply too many. It was the same sort of conditions that Smidge and DEET have zero impact too, because it's not necessarily about the biting - it's the sheer number of them swarming around you (it was so bad Dan had a coughing fit from inhaling too many).

What I'd be interested to see is how it performs when conditions are a little less severe, say 4-6/10, as I can see that being more realistic. When you get to 8-10/10 you're basically resigned to running away, hiding, or just accepting the end of days and giving in to it all.

Be interested to see how Dan get's on throughout the rest of the summer. Bet he's relishing the thought of getting out in those midgy conditions

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

I'd echo all Rob's comments. When it's really bad then nothing works, and to date I'd say this includes the Thermacell. Perhaps it thinned out the numbers, or maybe not - there's no way of telling when you're engulfed in clouds of them. 

I have yet to trial it in more manageable midge conditions.

Whether it works or not, I'd just like it noted that I have definitely taken one for the team with this review.  I'm getting itchy just thinking about it...

It surprises me that the midge eater people haven't developed a camping stove sized portable unit. 

It says no harmful sprays or smelly lotions and yet it is producing insect repellent. This is, presumably, some sort of chemical. What is it?

jimtitt 16 Jun 2018
In reply to Presley Whippet:

They make different models including one for screw-on cartridges.

jimtitt 16 Jun 2018
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> It says no harmful sprays or smelly lotions and yet it is producing insect repellent. This is, presumably, some sort of chemical. What is it?

Depending on the country d-Allethrin, Esbiothrin or Prallethrin. The ones sold in Germany have d-Allethrin.

HeMa 16 Jun 2018
In reply to jimtitt:

For those camping and drinkin’ beer/cider from can’s. There’s a fun DIY version. You just need to buy the patches for Raid Electric Repeller (cheaper than Thermacell ones), empty beer cans, knife, and small candle. 

Result should look like this. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/q7XszXKlHp/

not as efficient as a thermacell, but have worked like a charm in both northern and southern Scandinavia (plus Fin). Just make a few around the camp. 

Robert Durran 16 Jun 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> It was the same sort of conditions that Smidge and DEET have zero impact too, because it's not necessarily about the biting - it's the sheer number of them swarming around you.

I really don't know how you can say that is Zero impact. Yes, swarming midges are annoying, but surely relatively benign compared to the itching of hundreds of bites. I think it comes down to trusting the deet/smidge. I find that with it liberally applied so that no biting happens, I can largely ignore them flying and crawling all over me; there's almost a triumphant satisfaction in having beaten the bastards and being able to get on with things despite them.

In reply to jimtitt:

Cheers, I didn't know that. I will look out for them. I like the beer can and candle bodge, could be quite effective at the crag on midgy days and if not, at least you will have had a beer. 

HeMa 16 Jun 2018
In reply to Presley Whippet:

yes, emptying out the beer cans is the best thing.

oh, but if the air is moving, these ain't working... albeit if it is windy, them buggers rarely are a problem.

and in order to work, you really need to have 'em stationary for around 15 mins... perfect for basecamp or the belay spot on long redpointing/working sessions... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...