Buffalo alternatives?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 a crap climber 22 Sep 2022

I've had a Montane Extreme Smock for years and really rate it, but always found it a little bit in the short side, particularly in the sleeves. Buffalo are even worse, they offer customised fitting but I contacted them and they're not doing it at the moment.

Ideally I'd like something really heavy duty like the Big Wall shirt for Scottish winter, and have also been thinking about a Techlite shirt for milder weather walking/climbing and winter mountain biking.

Can anyone suggest any alternatives worth looking at? Short of buying some fabric and commandeering my mother's sewing machine, all that springs to mind is a Rab vapour rise (I've got one of the lightweight versions already), but would prefer a smock to a jacket and you can't vent them in the same way as a Buffalo.

Not out to start a debate on pile/pertex, I know it can be a bit like marmite. For me it seems like the best compromise for stuff where you're probably going to get wet no matter what you wear.

DaveHK 22 Sep 2022
In reply to a crap climber:

I think alpkit do something similar, might be worth checking the fit on that.

Harry Jarvis 22 Sep 2022

You might try Cioch Direct. I got one of their Marsco smocks made to measure (longer arms, longer body), and without the side vent zips. 

http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/waterproofs/marsco.html

However, it's quite heavy and they're not cheap.

Qwertilot 22 Sep 2022

Hilltrek have a single ventile outer jacket, cf:
https://hilltrek.co.uk/clothing/jackets/suilven-ventile-pile-jacket/

They seem to be offering custom sleeve lengths/body lengths. No idea if they'd do a smock.

There was a small flurry of really quite nice jackets along these lines, Alpha direct and so on. Several have dropped off sale, especially the warmer weight ones.

ME have their Kinesis - quite like a VR really. Insulation in between a techlite & full warmth buffalo. Rohan have one, Haglofs & Norrona at least too from a quick look.

The Kinesis (and VR) are effectively permanently vented because of their air permeable outers. Which could be a definite issue in the other direction. You'd definitely want to layer over it at times just for the wind.

Always Cioch for Paramo style stuff of course.

There's also several fleeces made out of stuff quite like a Buffalo liner - Alpha/Primaloft next. Combine with a windshirt and you'd do OK.

nniff 22 Sep 2022
In reply to Qwertilot:

I've got a Hilltrek double ventile jacket - it's fabulous, but not for climbing - not made for raising your arms above your head.  I walked up the Ben in minging weather and it kept me dry.  As it turned to snow - still all good if a little crunchy, but I could really have done without the fiasco of it pulling out of my harness and my harness suddenly being considerably too big, especially with two 100 feet lengths of rope hanging from it.  There was bad language and stuff.

Mine has long arms (I like that sort of thing knuckle length).  Walking jacket - brilliant and non-sweaty.  Climbing - I'm currently on a Patagonia R2 facetech with a Rab windproof thing over the top, or a thinish hardshell instead if needs must

JB 23 Sep 2022
In reply to Damo:

I have the Alpkit one - I also had a Montane Extreme previously but that went back after the seams split under the armpit...

Alpkit one is lighter /less warm than the Montane which works for me. Long side zips and zipped hood (unlike Buffalo). I really like it...only drawback is fit which is a little too big (most of my other stuff is fairly slim cut so it 'feels' big in comparison if you know what I mean). But I guess you need the extra space to get the smock on and off and use the zips etc. I think I paid £120 which is pretty good vs Buffalo which was £150ish + extra for hood. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...