Bright trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TamMor 23 May 2022

I'm finally giving up on my old summer-weight Craghopper trousers (a Sport Pursuit deal many years ago) and need a new pair of lightweight trousers suitable for walking and scrambling (up to Grade 2, so no need to be harness-compatible). Almost everything I see is green, brown, black or dark grey. The few pairs of brightly coloured trousers I've seen are north of £100, and I'm too poor/tight to pay that for summer trousers. Has anyone got any good tips for bright trousers in the sub-£100 range?

scotthldr 23 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

Montane Terra Pant in Firefly, you’ll be seen across the Glen in them.

John1458 23 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

Magic mountain have a few pairs of salesman sample mountain equipment comici trousers at half price (~£40) in some bright colours that would fit the bill? 

Although only in mens size 34 waist or womens size 12. Its worth keeping an eye on it though as they often add more stock in lots of bright colours that don't always all make it to market. 

I've bought a fair few things from there, fortunately it turns out its often for sale in my size. 

Post edited at 14:36
 steveb2006 23 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

Not sure if you can still get them but Mountain Equipment Inception trousers where going for about £35 recently. Various colours incl orange and bright yellow.

David Bowler 23 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

100% cotton so you may die wearing them in the hills

https://www.zimbabalooba.co.uk/trousers

Should be bright enough for you to be seen from orbit.

Andypeak 23 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

If you want really bright have a look at Troll Jester. 

They also do the Omni which is slightly more subdued but they make them in red. You can also get the Montane Terra in a nice bright orange/red colour.

CantClimbTom 23 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

Meh... so dated. All the cool kids wear grey trousers with black reinforcing patches. You won't climb as well as Bear Grylls unless you start dressing like him, he taught Honnold you know (https://www.tetongravity.com/video/culture/video-alex-honnold-takes-bear-gr...)

Trangia 23 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

Depends how important being bright really is for you, because if you just want functional summer trousers why pay through the nose when you can get these for £15?

https://www.millets.co.uk/1294553/peter-storm-mens-ramble-ii-trousers-12945...

I've been using them for years and they are perfect for walking, scrambling and even low grade summer cragging.

At that price it might even be worth trying to die a pair to a colour you like?!

hang_about 23 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

I had a stay in a US lab once where the chief technician was a fan of UK vernacular. She wanted to know how phrases were used. The example of 'git' or 'get <northern>' came up. I explained that calling someone a git in a light-hearted way was fine (most of the time), a 'bit of a git' meant they were rather unsavoury and 'a complete and utter git' meant you were serious. As I left I wanted to get her a present, so found a suitable book (not Profanisaurus before you ask). I wanted to check that it was accurate - so I looked up 'git'

Git or get - unpleasant person

Usage: 'Who's the git in the orange trousers?'

Told me it was accurate!

afx22 23 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

Rab Torque or Mountain Equipment Comici may be ideal.  The latter are a lighter weight fabric (which I prefer).

The ME Inception pants were mentioned about but I find the fit incredibly poor restrictive.

henwardian 23 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

Spread a wide net online and you will usually come up with 1 or 2 specific models that are maybe end of a line or something and going for £20-£30 when their rrp is £80 or whatever. It can help to google "buy [name of trouser model]" and just slap that in for a dozen different specific trouser models and sooner or later you will get something cheap and bright and designed for climbing.

Sean Kelly 23 May 2022
In reply to David Bowler:

> 100% cotton so you may die wearing them in the hills

> Should be bright enough for you to be seen from orbit.

Those bumblebee trousers look the business!

Ciro 23 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

Alpinetrek and bergziet are usually pretty good for colourful euro sale items

In reply to TamMor:

I did gey a pair of bright orange winter trousers from Decathlon last year. Sadly (or maybe not...), despite buying the same size I always buy, they were too small, and had to go back...

MisterPiggy 23 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

How about these?

https://www.technique-extreme.com/art-pantalon-de-randonnee-espes-1641.htm

A Spanish company I think. I've got their hooded, windproof, fibre pile jacket - light and warm. Their kit seems well made, ans isn't too expensive. You can find it on various auction and pre-loved clothing sites, as I did.

mik82 23 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

As mentioned above, have a look on a European site such as alpinetrek if you're looking for "Euro" colours. 

MonkeyPuzzle 23 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Those bumblebee trousers look the business!

Don't they just! Sold!

PaulJepson 23 May 2022
In reply to David Bowler:

Ah lovely, couldn't even be bothered to get any non-white models for their cultural appropriation. 

johncook 24 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

Troll make hard wearing brightly coloured trousers that are good for most things. They are light, and allow freedom of movement, and are about £60. They are made in North Yorkshire by a long standing UK company!

Look at their website and spend! 

subtle 24 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

Tights with a pair of bright shorts over the top?

galpinos 24 May 2022
In reply to subtle:

SHATs are not cool.

*SHorts And Trousers - the sign of a cross gymer

seankenny 24 May 2022
In reply to subtle:

> Tights with a pair of bright shorts over the top?

This wins the thread.

Street 24 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

Everything seems to be going the dull grey, black, navy route at the moment. It's hard work finding things in more fun colours!

full stottie 24 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

These bright enough?

OP TamMor 24 May 2022
In reply to seankenny:

Sold!

OP TamMor 24 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

Some great tips, thanks everyone. Now I have the opposite problem to the one I had yesterday -  I need to narrow down many options to the ones I want to buy!

full stottie 24 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

The yellow ones in the photo are Mountain Equipment Inception, from Outdoor Action Ltd, £34

OP TamMor 24 May 2022
In reply to full stottie:

> The yellow ones in the photo are Mountain Equipment Inception, from Outdoor Action Ltd, £34

I like those - not in stock in my size in the yellow or orange but I've bookmarked the page.

In reply to TamMor:

What size are you? I've got some waist 32 Rab Torque trousers in bright blue which I bought off here a while back and now seem more than a little tight after a few months of injury....

MonkeyPuzzle 25 May 2022
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Ah lovely, couldn't even be bothered to get any non-white models for their cultural appropriation. 

I've just culturally appropriated a pair in time for my trip to Spain!

mountainbagger 25 May 2022
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Ah lovely, couldn't even be bothered to get any non-white models for their cultural appropriation. 

There are non-white models elsewhere on the site. The company is originally from Zimbabwe.

Kahti 27 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

I've got a pair of ME Comici in "Tasman Blue" size 30, hardly ever worn because I have other trews I prefer. Was about to sell as part of a general clearout. PM me if interested...

lorentz 27 May 2022
In reply to TamMor:

"Bright trousers, burning like fire.

Bright trews, How could your zipper fail?

How did trousers that burned so brightly suddenly fade so pale?

Bright trews..."

Art Garfunkel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...