Boxer short recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lboutside 19 Jan 2022

I've been using UnderArmour 6" Boxerjocks for a few years for all my walks & hikes, they've done a relatively decent job at stopping chafing and have been reasonably comfortable but the latest pair I bought haven't lasted as well as they normally would with the thigh area already showing signs of wear with a seam failing on the waist band as well. Trying to remove the tags this time round was a real PITA too (honestly, who wants tags in their undies anyway?) Maybe it was just an unlucky one off, but it's kind of put me off them a little.

So I'm looking for recommendations for something else to try, happy to spend the money as any sort of chafing in that region is definitely something I want to avoid. Preferably something with decent length on the leg as it's my inner thighs that tend to take the brunt of it.

TIA.

Jacobyte 19 Jan 2022
In reply to lboutside:

Runderware. Order online.

OP lboutside 19 Jan 2022
In reply to Jacobyte:

I thought they only did female stuff so I didn't even bother looking when I recently finished a Strava challenge of theirs this month. I'll have a nose now, cheers.

denis b 19 Jan 2022
In reply to lboutside:

One of the best hiking/climbing recommendations for clothing I ever got from UKC was for M&S Autograph Microskin Trunk style underwear. Have never looked back. Inexpensive, no chafing, light, breathable......I could go on.

Exile 19 Jan 2022
In reply to lboutside:

SAXX. Not cheap but very good. 

Mark Haward 19 Jan 2022
In reply to lboutside:

I've found the BAM boxers good. I've used them for skiing, walking, climbing but haven't tried them in the alps yet - sigh! 

Levy_danny 19 Jan 2022
In reply to lboutside:

I use uniqlo airism boxers for hiking, gym etc and really rate them.

Neil Williams 19 Jan 2022
In reply to Jacobyte:

> Runderware. Order online.

Beware though.  Runderwear has a natural latex "grip" around the bottom of the legs to stop them riding up, if you are at all sensitive to natural latex they will leave your legs bleeding - after just 2 days of wearing them (not the same pair both days! ) on an expedition it looked like someone had run a knife round my upper thigh.  I was astonished, until I tried them I didn't even know I was sensitive to natural latex, it's just that I'd seemingly coincidentally never bought underwear/compression shorts that contained it.

If you're at all suspicious that that might be the case, try one pair first, and only buy more when sure you don't react.

The best I've found for active stuff is X-Bionic The Trick, I got a load on the cheap from Sportpursuit years ago, but full price they are a rip-off.

Post edited at 10:26
 stani 19 Jan 2022
In reply to Mark Haward:

Boxers from B&M???

In reply to stani:

> Boxers from B&M???

Thus speaks someone who is fortunate to have a decent gap between their thighs and thus not require "anti-chafe" arrangements on long walks and runs!

For those of us with "rugby thighs" normal boxers don't work for more than just a bimble to the shop, sadly.

angry pirate 19 Jan 2022
In reply to denis b:

+1 on this. Mine are old and still brilliant.

thlcr1 19 Jan 2022
In reply to denis b:

Agreed. I use the M&S microskins all the time now, not just for walking and climbing. They last for years and always comfortable.

ripper 19 Jan 2022
In reply to lboutside:

Can we not just acknowledge the truth that dare not speak it's name? That, no matter how unfashionable, old-style 'brief' undies with a pouch that keeps the tackle front and centre, and has a nice layer of material between ballbag and thigh to stop sweating/chafing, are far more comfortable than any boxer-style item?

OP lboutside 19 Jan 2022
In reply to ripper:

> Can we not just acknowledge the truth that dare not speak it's name? That, no matter how unfashionable, old-style 'brief' undies with a pouch that keeps the tackle front and centre, and has a nice layer of material between ballbag and thigh to stop sweating/chafing, are far more comfortable than any boxer-style item?

Hahaha, if you are lucky enough to not rub on your inner thighs below the hang of your nads then of course, I've tried briefs and unfortunately for me all it led to was needing to slather myself in sudocrem for a few days afterwards!

In reply to ripper:

> Can we not just acknowledge the truth that dare not speak it's name? That, no matter how unfashionable, old-style 'brief' undies with a pouch that keeps the tackle front and centre, and has a nice layer of material between ballbag and thigh to stop sweating/chafing, are far more comfortable than any boxer-style item?

Only if, as noted above, your thighs have a decent gap between them.  If I was to wear classic briefs, I would have raw thighs after a couple of miles.  I once went for a run wearing shorts with just the liners (because I was on a work trip and hadn't taken enough pairs of compression shorts to go underneath for the number of runs I had planned) and 5K was enough to actually draw blood.

Post edited at 12:38
 Forest Dump 19 Jan 2022
In reply to denis b:

Another for these, they're pretty much all I wear now, that and the aforementioned Under Armour.

Incidentally, bought a few more pairsnif those recently. No problems as yet

Ben Callard 19 Jan 2022
In reply to lboutside:

The Decathlon running boxers are really good. 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-breathable-running-boxers/_/R-p-121488

In reply to ripper:

I've not got noodle legs, my thighs touch and rub, underpants are "pants" in that regard.

Andypeak 19 Jan 2022
In reply to Mark Haward:

> I've found the BAM boxers good. I've used them for skiing, walking, climbing but haven't tried them in the alps yet - sigh! 

They fit well but absorb moisture like I've never seen before and take forever to dry. The one I own can still be damp 3 or 4 days after washing then and leaving them on the airer. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...