REVIEW: Boreal Sendai Approach Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 18 Apr 2016
Boreal Sendai Approach Shoes Edging, 5 kbMartin McKenna takes the Boreal Sendai hillwalking, cragging ...and down to the shops. They may be fairly heavy, he says, but on rough ground these are robust and supportive approach shoes, with good edging performance for climbing and scrambling.

Read more
 Toerag 18 Apr 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Can we have a picture of the tread please? What sort of decent review of shoes doesn't show the tread pattern?!
 galpinos 18 Apr 2016

How much do they weigh?
In reply to Toerag:

Sorry about that. We meant to include this so its now been added.
 olddirtydoggy 18 Apr 2016

Never saw the point of approach shoes, isn't it just another piece of kit? I got a pair of lightweight summer hiking boots that cover everything.
 andrewmc 18 Apr 2016
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> Never saw the point of approach shoes, isn't it just another piece of kit? I got a pair of lightweight summer hiking boots that cover everything.

I would say the same thing about your boots though! My approach shoes weigh <400g, and while completely non-waterproof will dry quickly. I don't own any boots apart from my B3s for winter (and my rubber caving boots); I try and avoid boggy ground and I have used my approach shoes for scrambling, climbing easy mountain routes and (occasionally) approaching crags... I can see the advantages of boots for durability and waterproofing but that's not what I've ever really needed/wanted.

I do find it amusing when you see people wearing them in Font, or somewhere like Dartmoor where its just wet slippery grass on the approach :P
 Dr.S at work 18 Apr 2016

What are they like on wet slippery grass?
 olddirtydoggy 18 Apr 2016
In reply to andrewmcleod:

Thats a fair point if you don't have 150 slightly different pairs of footwear. It reminds me of a friend who has more footwear than Emelda Marcos, he's absolutely convinced they all do something different.
 ben b 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> What are they like on wet slippery grass?

Not as good as a pair of Walshes, I'm guessing...

b
 Toerag 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Ta
 Toerag 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> What are they like on wet slippery grass?

^^^^^ This is the most important question for UK climbers, and the biggest failing with most approach shoes. As long as there's a solid edging bit round the inside of the toe the rest should be a standard chunky commando sole like the vibram mountain sole.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...