Boots for trip to Everest base camp trip?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Singinghound 22 Nov 2020

Afternoon,

Can anyone advise on the above? My daughter is doing a trip with her university to Everest base camp, and I am looking for a pair of boots for her that will do the job.

Any advice?

...And also, any other kit recommendations that I can put on her Christmas list?

Thanks for your help!

druridge 22 Nov 2020
In reply to Singinghound:

If you can confirm the time of year that would help all those able to give advice

oliwarlow 22 Nov 2020

Boot choice is quite personal - you will see people up there in full mountaineering boots and people in running shoes (porters in flip flops of course).  I can advise on the terrain though -  Assuming standard there/back route - It is all good path, although somewhat rough and stony in places.  The tourist track up a popular British mountain would be a good measure of the type of ground underfoot.  As the above poster has said time of year is factor - but you can have rain and/or snow any time of year so something she is comfortable in in those conditions regardless, just the balance of weight you want to walk with on your feet to comfort will change with how extreme you expect conditions.  For what it is worth - carrying a 10-15kg pack in that terrain I would wear a B1 boot with a waterproof membrane + have a pair of gators for if it gets snowy.

Post edited at 20:06
OP Singinghound 22 Nov 2020
In reply to druridge:

it’s in August/September 

OP Singinghound 22 Nov 2020
In reply to oliwarlow:

Thank you very much for the advice!

oliwarlow 22 Nov 2020

still in Monsoon, so there will be precipitation of some kind - both rain and snow I expect!!

Babika 22 Nov 2020

> ...And also, any other kit recommendations that I can put on her Christmas list?

A warm jacket/warm trousers. I was freezing in the tea houses and spent a lot of time wearing my down jacket. 

apwebber 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Babika:

I'd echo this, the tea houses are very cold especially once you get up a bit higher. A thick down jacket is very very useful. Also if they plan to watch Everest as the sun goes down from Kalapathar it gets COLD and a down jacket and mountain gloves are definitely advised.

mike123 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Singinghound: whaterver she chooses make sure they are well broken in . I'd go with some thing light weight and goretex lined .i used  to really like a solo for this kind  of thing but the last pair I had , had rubbish soles . If all the current nonsense is over go somewhere that has several shops  ( e.g. Keswick , Ambleside , hatheraage) wander around and try a few pairs on. Fishers in Keswick seem to have the best choice and good advice  , needless sports probably have a smaller choice but very good advice .  Kit wise , three or four good dry bags for kit , duffel bag ( mountain equipment / north face etc ) with a cover made  out of the strongest material known to man   . Nice new duffel bags only take a couple of days to look very lived in when strapped to a yak . Most important is the best sleeping bag you she can beg steel or borrow, it can get very cold at night even in August September . It's not going to be as cold as winter but it can be cold enough to be very uncomfortable in a rubbish bag .

Martin Bennett 23 Nov 2020

I've just got some Salomon XA Pro3D Goretex and they're amazingly comfy straight out of the box. They're very very light, the sole seems good and they're as waterproof (so far) as wellies. Mine are the "mid" version but I should think they do a full ankle if you prefer. I've walked in the Himalayas up to 5000m and wish I'd had these for that trip. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...