Blacks sleeping bags?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 09 Mar 2020

The time has come .... my old Mountain Equipment bag (PW in 1981) and Snugpak (round the world tour in 1996) and both on innumerable Munros, backpacks and car camps are tired and worn out - a bit like their owner.

I've seen some 3-season Berghaus and Vango bags on Blacks website https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/sleeping/sleeping-bags/

Should I open the wallet and let the bats out - or think again? I don't need a super lightweight job for Antarctica. Mostly just spring/summer/autumn in the UK - assuming we're not all locked into our homes, of course.

Phil1919 09 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

I used to have a Backs Icelandic. Did me well.

leon 1 09 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman: I got a Berghaus Transition 300 (sounds like a sex change) from Blacks a few months ago for £35, it was reduced supposedly from £85. Its a 3 season bag but its pretty big when packed and quite heavy at 2kg. I got it purely for car camping and because it was cheap. I certainly wouldn't want to carry it any great distance. I would definitely check them out in the shop for packed size, weight and, given your user name, length. Im 6' and its only just long enough

Post edited at 16:53
OP Lankyman 09 Mar 2020
In reply to Phil1919:

> I used to have a Backs Icelandic. Did me well.

Yes, quite a famous bag. I recall a mate having one. Blacks don't seem to make them now? Anyway, they were down I think and I'm down on down after being nearly done for in a down bag.

Post edited at 16:53
OP Lankyman 09 Mar 2020
In reply to leon 1:

Thanks for the length shout - I am also about 6 ft! I think the ones in the link are a lot lighter than 2kg.

Phil1919 09 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes, it was for sale in the students union shop, half price, 1977. Did yours get wet one night?

OP Lankyman 09 Mar 2020
In reply to Phil1919:

>  Did yours get wet one night?

I was in the US in winter and it got wet from condensation in the tent. All the feathers clumped together and it was worse than useless. At least with synthetic you can get into them when wet and dry them out with body heat alone.

Dave the Rave 09 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Buffalo bags are ace and should see you out

olddirtydoggy 09 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Try Sportpursuit, they often have great deals on mid priced bags.

grump gnome 10 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Alpkit do some nice synthetic bags at a pretty good price.

OP Lankyman 10 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks for the suggestions,  folks looks like some useful leads.

LastBoyScout 10 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Try eBay - lots of bags on there barely used where people have bought them for a 1-off trip of a lifetime and no longer need them.

I also picked up a brand new North Face bag for a pittance in TK Maxx a couple of years ago.

Siward 10 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Blacks then and Blacks now bear no resemblance to each other bar the name. Their bags today are basic car camping fodder really.

OP Lankyman 10 Mar 2020
In reply to Siward:

Well, took the plunge and ordered a Vango Sennen 250 on the Blacks website. Seems like a good price with the various discounts. One of the selling points for me was the 6 ft 3 height statement so should be OK. Thing now is what to do with the old ones?

Neil Williams 10 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Do you have a local Scout Group?  They can come in handy there for spares e.g. when the tent leaks because they didn't bother pegging the sides down.

Post edited at 20:24
OP Lankyman 10 Mar 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Do you have a local Scout Group?

The state they're in I think that would count as child abuse. With old boots you can re-purpose them as plant pots but sleeping bags are another matter. Perhaps I'll keep them and get buried/cremated in them like a Viking ship burial with his treasured possessions?

Wimlands 10 Mar 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Loft insulation?

OP Lankyman 11 Mar 2020
In reply to Wimlands:

> Loft insulation?

Good one, but not an option where I live.

Martin Bennett 30 Mar 2020

In reply to Removed Usercapoap:

I couldn't afford the Icelandic Special so had The Pal-o-Mine - barrel shaped - 2nd occupant could be of fairly generous proportions!

malk 01 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

i'm happy with my vango ultralite e600 3 season bag. only 1.2kg and packs down small. the ultralite pro 200 seems to be the nearest equivalent at blacks.

edit: that intrepid 1000 has the same rating but even lighter..

Post edited at 13:16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...