Blackout tents?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wingnut 25 Dec 2021

Anyone here used one? Any good? What's the temperature like inside in hot weather?

Asking on behalf of my brother, who has children aged six and three and would like to introduce them to camping next summer while still making sure they get enough sleep.

Roberttaylor 25 Dec 2021
In reply to Wingnut:

They are brilliant. I use a three-person pop-up blackout tent when car camping and it's like having a cool, dark cave on a hot summer day. You don't get burned out of the tent in the morning, you can get to bed early. 

I'm buying another one to take to the states next summer. 

Babika 25 Dec 2021
In reply to Wingnut:

They're great according to my 23 year old son. 

Mainly used at festivals when trying to sleep during the day. He didn't find it too hot with 2 in but 3 might be? 

In reply to Wingnut:

My sister likes her Decathlon FreshBlack tent for festivals.

Hovercraft 26 Dec 2021
In reply to Wingnut:

I’ve got a Coleman festival blackout tent which I got - having never been to a festival - for general camping  specifically to deal with the issue of making sure kids can sleep when it’s light outside.

it’s a 2-3 person dome, and apart from obviously being less well made, I haven’t yet found any obvious difference in terms of temperature, waterproof ness etc than my quasar.

So for what I bought it for it has been brilliant, although only used so far in the garden and the odd night on dartmoor, and never on a scorching day

steve_gibbs 26 Dec 2021
In reply to Wingnut:

I’ll second the Decathlon ones. The combo of a black interior and white exterior, mean they stay cool inside in roasting sunshine and stay dark when it’s light circa 4am in the summer. The only negative is they’re dark enough you’ll need a headtorch to see anything inside during the day!

I found mine sufficiently durable for  Alpine campsite use the last two summers, however they’re certainly not suitable for camping in the mountains nor trekking, as they’re heavy and wouldn’t withstand strong winds. See..

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-tent-for-3-people-white/_/R-p-313085

OP Wingnut 27 Dec 2021
In reply to steve_gibbs:

>>not suitable for camping in the mountains nor trekking

They'll be car camping. The youngest is three.

OP Wingnut 27 Dec 2021
In reply to thread:

Thanks all, looks like a thumbs-up. Will send my brother a link. (o::

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...