REVIEW: Black Diamond Raven Pro axe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 23 Feb 2021
Like climbing cauliflowers made of icing sugar...

With its light weight and refined design, the updated Raven Pro is a joy to handle, says Dan Bailey. Whether you're winter walking, ski touring, or climbing something big but non-technical overseas, this is one satisfyingly ergonomic ice axe.

Read more
 AlH 23 Feb 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I can add that although i usually find light axes hard to cut steps with the adze on this seems razor sharp. Great for cutting steps/ledges, less ideal when I leant over one sitting on my downmat. "Puff" and the snow hole filled with feathers

Anecdotally too I had a light person trying unsuccessfully to self arrest with a light axe on firm neve on a course and the moment I gave them my big chunky mountaineering axe they were able to stop successfully. Just another consideration but maybe not the primary one.

ben b 24 Feb 2021
In reply to Dan Bailey:

> gained a kinked shaft and lost a bit of weight

That's lockdown for you, Dan...

b

In reply to ben b:

You've done well to lose weight

In reply to AlH:

Yes it's razor sharp: the spike too. Handle with care if you are self arresting!

CJclimbs 24 Feb 2021

Investment-cast Stainless Steel? Bloody hell... I wonder what type of shell composites and protective cover gas was used...

On a related note, do Black Diamond cast / create their own products internally, or are they made externally and then assembled by Black Diamond?

Post edited at 16:07
 IM 25 Feb 2021

Just got one of these, what a very lovely thing. I may hang it on the wall... 

May as well get some use out of it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...