Black Diamond Capitan Helmet fitment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonnybmac 25 Jun 2022

I struggle with helmets that fit me. I'm sort of a small head for a M/L helmet, but too big for an S/M usually. 

BD's Capitan helmet has sizes [S/M] 53-59 cm / [M/L] 58-63 cm and is only available to me online unless I travel many hours to try it out.

I have a 55cm size head, which would mean a S/M.

I've never been an S/M before (M/L in half dome), so I'm tempted to get a usual M/L? should I stick with the advised S/M, and trust that the sizing will fit my head, or will it look too small on my bonce, as I'm conscious being the bottom end of M/L that would look too big. Perhaps S/M could be the perfect helmet for me.

Half dome comes in these sizes, so the S/M max is similar, yet the small on a half dome is slightly too small for my head.

S/M] 50-58 cm , [M/L] 56-63 cm

Does anyone have any experience with this helmet and sizing?

CantClimbTom 25 Jun 2022
In reply to jonnybmac:

What can anyone say other than you're going to have to find a shop and try rhem. What might fit one person may just not sit right on you (and vice versa)

In reply to jonnybmac:

If BD helmets don't fit you right try a different brand. I really like the petzl Boreo.

OP jonnybmac 26 Jun 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Yeah, that's kind of obvious, I was just hoping I could get lucky with some feedback 😅

​​

In reply to pancakeandchips:

Boreo isn't much good either. i have quite the long head 😂

hutchymh 26 Jun 2022
In reply to jonnybmac:

My BD helmet is a S/M and I have a 57cm head.

Unsure if there's much difference between lids but mines is a Vision.

Not sure if that helps!

Post edited at 10:18
In reply to jonnybmac:

Have you tried the Petzl Scirocco or Trango Halo? 

I appreciate its an effort but perhaps a visit to a shop would be of benefit!!

OP jonnybmac 28 Jun 2022

Thanks for the replies.

I went for a 1.5-hour drive to my nearest store to try on a few helmets.

S/M seems to be the right size, since the M/L does fit, albeit with noticeably small amounts of room, and the ratchet strap is very close to my ears which renders it kind of oversize. 

I really liked the low-profile fitment of the Vapour. If it wasn't for the many holes and poor durability, I think I'd of chosen this helmet. I'm not sure if it was the colours but there seemed a significant difference in how high the grey stood above my head when compared to the Vision mips. 

The Vision, Vapour and Capitan (couldn't test in person so basing on reviews) all seem a similar fit system, with a review on BD USA saying the Capitan is fits a hair smaller than the Vvision. 

In the end, I took the plunge on an S/M Capitan online, as I liked the orange/black colour. Looking forward to it arriving!

CantClimbTom 28 Jun 2022
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Another vote for the sirocco!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...