Best solar chargers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 01 Aug 2020

Any recommendations gratefully received! 

Thanks

OP bpmclimb 01 Aug 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

Ok, now seen lots of previous threads on this - probably need to me more specific with my question! In the UK, camping (away from mains power sources), climbing trips by day. Panel plus battery, or just a good panel? I've been reading that a problem in anything other than continuous sunshine is iPhones, etc not liking intermittent or variable power.

Graham T 01 Aug 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

We have got a bigblue 28w. Used it camping a couple of weeks ago and it kept phones and tablets charged along with topping up a battery pack.

Yeah they didn't work quite as well out of direct sunlight but it was still generating power

More-On 01 Aug 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

I've just got an Anker 21W panel. It will happily charge battery packs even in very overcast condions through a window, but phones (Samsung Galaxies of various iterations) much prefer direct, strong sunshine. Not a problem for me as I prefer to fast charge the phone from the pack and then top up the pack from the panel, but worth bearing in mind if you plan to use it at the crag to charge a phone as you suggest.

planetmarshall 01 Aug 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

> Ok, now seen lots of previous threads on this - probably need to me more specific with my question! In the UK, camping (away from mains power sources), climbing trips by day.

They will not be great in the UK, for obvious reasons. However, you will want both a panel and a battery.

I have a folding panel about the size of an A4 piece of paper when folded and a battery about the size of a smartphone, both made by Anker. The combination worked well in the Himalaya, but then they get sunshine there.

Don't get a cheap battery/panel combination thing. They are rubbish.

Post edited at 14:48
 Tringa 01 Aug 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

There is another thread here - https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/off_belay/best_solar_powered_battery_c...

- that be of some use.

Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...