Best single rope for UK trad?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayW 06 Aug 2020

What's everyone's thoughts on this? I'm currently sporting a 9.8mm workhorse from Dick's Climbing (it's their own rope made in conjunction with Mammut I think) which is coming towards the end of its life. 

I climb mostly on UK grit and some limestone. What do people recommend for a good all round workhorse? I already have half ropes. 

Thanks in advance.

Post edited at 14:01
 Gav_92 07 Aug 2020
In reply to JayW:

i like the 9.8 mammut eternity, can get it cheap at alpine trek just now

In reply to JayW:

What Gav_92 said!

I find 9.8 is a good thickness as an all round sport and trad rope. 60 is more than enough for the UK.

Mammut or Sterling

ian caton 07 Aug 2020
In reply to JayW:

Beal top gun 2 with all the treatments you can get. The treatments, dry type stuff, increase the durability massively, whatever the brand. Worth the extra IMHO. There are vids someplace about this, but reinforced by personal experience. 

Mark Stevenson 09 Aug 2020
In reply to JayW:

If you've already got a set of doubles, it's dead easy, you want one or ideally both of the following:

• c.30metres of soft handling, relatively fat single rope. Perfect for most climbing walls, natural Grit and other short cragging. (Anything from 25m to 35m seems to work well depending on the height of your local wall/crags. 9.8mm or 10mm is great and lots of options are available. At that thickness, you can prioritise suppleness and good handling. The Edelrid 30m offcut I got from Dick's years ago is amazing, handles brilliantly and seems almost indestructible. )
  • 40m of triple rated rope. Absolutely perfect for scrambling, mountaineering and easy multipitch where it makes the walk-ins and rope handling a complete joy compared with doubles. (Mammut Serenity 8.7mm singles are available in this length and are amazing ropes.)

HTH

wbo2 09 Aug 2020
In reply to JayW: no sport ever? I've got a 70m edelrid, but got away with 60m for a long time 

neuromancer 09 Aug 2020
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

I agree with the afore poster. 

The next rope after a pair of halves and, maybe, an indoor 30m, is a 60m workhorse sport rope. Something 9.5-10mm but treated and smooth running. 

In reply to JayW:

Check out Edelrids ropes - especially the eco swift. Incredible rope and the only manufacturer to gain Blue Sign certification? Please correct me? 

https://www.edelrid.com/us/company/sustainability.php 

Does anyone know a more sustainably made climbing rope? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...