best options for patching goretex jackets & trews

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GraMc 21 Jan 2021

Both are knackered and need to do a bunch of taping.

Previously i have used tenacious tape stuck on with seam grip. Considering dropping 30quid on the roofers / joiners tape that Colin Haley recommends.

Anyone else have anything that works particularly well? 

Tigger 22 Jan 2021
In reply to GraMc:

I like McNette Seam Grip. Simply push the two sides of the tear together, squeeze a little onto it and then spread the seam grip along the tear. Leave it to set and then repeat on the reverse side if you think it needs it (i personally don't).

I've only used this on tears of up to 25mm, but haven't been able to pull the tear open again once set.

gneiss boots 22 Jan 2021
In reply to GraMc: I have just read about Tyvek patches in a Patagonia sponsored athlete article which look interesting and were apparently far more durable. I guess they are found in builders merchants but he swore by them. I shall try to find it but wonder if others here have ever heard or used these?

Ridge 22 Jan 2021
In reply to GraMc:

Seam seal tape, as used to er.. seal the seams on waterproofs.

I bought 3 metres for the huge sum of £3.88 in 2004 (still have the invoice in the envelope with the tape) after a recommendation from Captain Paranoia on this very forum.

Irons on (put a tea towel over it so you don't melt it or the waterproofs) but round the ends off first as a square cut is more likely to catch on something.

Available per metre here:

https://www.profabrics.co.uk/products/seam-sealing-tape-for-3-layer-fabrics...

crayefish 22 Jan 2021
In reply to GraMc:

What's wrong with tenacious tape?  It held my skiing clothes together for well over a decade! 

OP GraMc 22 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

I've found that tenacious tape does not stick well enough for waterproofs (works fine on my nano puff and down jacket though) 

Also haven't had much luck with seam tape staying put always find the edges come unstuck, might just use a combination of that and seam grip...

OP GraMc 22 Jan 2021
In reply to gneiss boots:

Yer that's the stuff I mentioned about about Colin haley - seems alot of money to spend on some tape though!

OP GraMc 22 Jan 2021
In reply to Ridge:

Just realised this aren't so good as they aren't wide enough to cover right angle tears, might google see if they come in wider strips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...