Best mobile phone for winter moutaineering uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Workman 26 Dec 2019

I'm looking to by a smart phone, one that I can use for navigating in Scottish mountains in winter. What's best? I've been looking at land Rover Explore Phone - on the net.  I'm registered with OS maps.

Dave the Rave 26 Dec 2019
In reply to John Workman:

I use MPC. Great coverage even in remote areas. 

angry pirate 26 Dec 2019

I have a Getnord Lynx which weighs a ton but is properly waterproof and seems really sturdy.

In true forum form I haven't used it in Scotland yet but in wet and windy Snowdonia recently I used it with OS mapping to navigate in biff conditions and left the map and compass in the rucksack to prevent them being blown away. It worked flawlessly and the battery survived two days in flight mode with over 80% to play with at the end.

Works a treat on a bike mount in pouring rain too.

Guy Hurst 26 Dec 2019

Any phone with a decent quality screen and battery life, together with an Otterbox commuter or Defender case and a waterproof pouch. That way you've got a very tough nav package for the hills, but which is also good for day to day use and so won't be left hanging around for the battery to go flat and lose performance.

bouldery bits 26 Dec 2019

I have the Land rover phone.

Love it with Viewranger (I got a free year's subscription with the purchase of the phone). Don't use it for Nav too much though - just occasionally double checking / route planning. I like a map and compass because I'm an anachronistic throwback. Camera a bit naff but enough for me. I am yet to kill it and I killed a JCB phone.... The spare battery pack is a winner as well. The screen also still works when soggy and is of a pleasing quality and size for watching the biathlon on Eurosport. 

5 stars. Would recommend. 

Andypeak 27 Dec 2019

CAT phones are also an option. Made by the same company as Land Rover phones. I've had  mine just over a year and not destroyed it yet. They have a new one out with a better camera now

JohnnyW 28 Dec 2019

I use an Ulefone Armor5, which was recommended to me by some folks on another outdoor instructors site. It is Chinese, and therefore pretty cheap, but is bulletproof so far, which is well over a year, used daily and pretty much abused, both in the UK and abroad.

It has a really chunky 5000ma battery, and alongside my Memory Map app as well as Viewranger when in Russia and Nepal, worked great.

My only niggle is the camera is poor in low light, and that's it - It's excellent in good light.

£130 plus £14/month SIM only. Bargain. I will have another if they upgrade the phone. 

Ridge 20 Jan 2020

Bit of a thread resurrection.

Looking for a new phone, not necessarily 'ruggedised', but large battery and decent camera main considerations. Any thoughts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...