Best cramponable boots for Achilles tendonitis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 simonx 29 Dec 2021

I have Scarpa Manta B2 boots from > 12 years ago, usually used for 3-6 days per year in Scottish winter conditions, I have had issued with my Achilles wearing them occaisonally in the past, such that I wear 3 season boots for as much as possible, carrying the Mantas until needed.

I've not been since 2019 and now happen to have permanent tendonitis on one Achilles, mild enough such hat no issue on long walks in 3 season boots, but really think I need to switch my winter boots. 

I have some CT Nuptse 12 point crampons (C1). I'm hoping to buy some B1 boots (or even cramponable ones that aren't B1), that are easy on my Achilles, but suitable for the crampons when appropriate.

Any guidance on models to consider much appreciated! A spot of online research suggests Scarpa Ribelle / Charmoz - but I think they're both just about B2s, so maybe I could do with slightly less stiff boots. Alternatively the Mammut Kento gtx, but I've read some suggestions that these have poor grip, which given I have a slightly dodgy knee (from ski accident in 2019) would be enough to rule them out, if true.   

Cheers.

spragglerocks 29 Dec 2021
In reply to simonx:

I've had similar issues with my achilles, a long walk in along the Mer de Glace in summer in a pair of Nepal Evos prompted me to spend a lot of money in Chamonix on these: 

https://www.lasportiva.com/en/trango-cube-gtx-man-yellow-11jybn

They take my grivel air tech crampons fine and are much lighter than my previous boots.  No real issues with my achilles using these, but I also have heel wedges to help with that too.  The only issue is they aren't the warmest - they are basically designed for summer alpine use from what I can make out.

For what it's worth I also found that some ski boots I had that were sized on the small size caused me real issues with my achilles - so after 1 day of skiing I could hardly walk.  So it's worth maybe being liberal with the sizing as direct pressure on my achilles seems to make it worse.  I have now purchased new boots (1 size up) and don't have that issue anymore.

Good luck!

wbo2 29 Dec 2021
In reply to simonx: Apart from flex, to relieve strain on the achilles you're looking for cushioning, some drop? The Ribelle lite should be a bit more running shoe shaped for you?

If you can live with C1 crampons I've been using a pair of Salomon X-alp carbons - perfect boot for Norway 3/4 seasons, but they don't seem to be selling them now.  Reinforced running shoes with C1 compatability

Myfyr Tomos 29 Dec 2021
In reply to simonx:

Some years ago, I suffered badly from Achilles tendonitis when wearing big boots.  On the advice of a physio friend, I got a pair of rubber heel wedges to fit under the insole. It increased the "drop" by about 5mm and worked wonders. Have got them in all my boots now and haven't suffered since.

OP simonx 30 Dec 2021

Thanks for all the advice, further research beckons and I shall definitely get some heel wedges.

The X-Alp sounds interesting in particular.

tjdodd 30 Dec 2021
In reply to simonx:

I have suffered tendon issues for a while and tried superfeet insoles that provide more cushioning and increase the drop,  I have not had tendon issues since.

OP simonx 23 Jan 2022
In reply to tjdodd:

Thanks TJ, I remembered I had some Superfeet insoles in my ski boots, so tried them in the Mantas on a modest Kent walk yesterday, Achilles aching to moderate level, especially on uphill sections. Suspect nothing wil make these boots a reasonable option, need to try to get some cheap B1 boots for the trip!

I'll get some heel inserts to compare. 

OP simonx 23 Jan 2022

Does anyone have any insight on Scarpa's SL Active B1 boots? Sound like they might be suitable.

(except I'm reluctant to gamble £260 on them!)

https://www.scarpa.co.uk/walking-boots/sl-active/

pad01 23 Jan 2022
In reply to simonx:

Recently retired a pair of these, down to poor TLC on my behalf at the start of their life, lesson learnt. 
can’t comment on the Achilles issues but for a pair of boots for all year round use and with crampons when needed, I loved them, never had any issues with them and fitted like a glove from the off. One day I’ll get them resoled and hopefully patched up and bring them back out. 

In reply to simonx:

> Does anyone have any insight on Scarpa's SL Active B1 boots?

Like all aspects of footwear, it really depends on how well they fit your feet. You may need increased drop, or you may need reduced drop, or some other particular shape to avoid pressure on your Achilles. Assuming it is contact that's causing your problem.

CurlyStevo 24 Jan 2022
In reply to simonx:

I take it you just want the the SL's for winter walking as B1 / C1 are not really suitable for climbing. For this type of use extended crampon use wouldn't be the norm. A lot of winter walking routes can be done without the need  for using  crampons (depending on route / conditions, but its still usually a good idea to carry them). The SL Activs would be fine for this (and occasional longer crampon use), they do have some padding / lining inside, I'd describe as a 4 season boot that would be warm for 3 of the seasons. In winter they are not that warm but they are not too bad for walking as you are typically moving unlike climbing!.  Probably fairly typical compared to many B2 boots on that front I'd guess. Good socks can help.

Obviously they are bendier and therefore probably a bit less comfortable with crampons etc on. I've used them with micro spikes and you can feel the spikes through the shoe sole but its not too bad, I've not used them with crampons as I own B3 boots and C2 / C3 crampons for that type of thing, but I would expect them to be a bit uncomfortable with extended crampon use. The stiffness of the sole however certainly helps generally on snowy ground or steep vegetated slopes.

Being leather you may find it a bit of a job to dry them over multiple day trips, although probably less of an issue than with your Manta's, most brushed leather once it looses its factory treatment soaks up some water even after subsequent treatments I find, something that happens much less on well dubined full grain leather.

The SL's really come in their own in autumn or spring where you are likely to encounter a lot of mud and / or snow patches. They perform reasonably at scrambling too, edging really well although less so at smearing, but scrambles aren't normally very technical in this regard.

Post edited at 10:40
OP simonx 25 Jan 2022
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Thanks for excellent feedback, and Pad01 & Cap'n P too

Yes  walking not climbing, and a knee accident a few years ago means not much scrambling either. Interesting comments re: the leather, I keep the Mantas well dubbed, so the brushed leather is something to keep in mind. I'll try to try a pair on somewhere soon.

Cheers.

Myfyr Tomos 25 Jan 2022
In reply to simonx:

I have a pair of SL Active and think they're wonderful. No waterproof membrane, just good quality leather and a super build. Clean and wax them regularly and they are a very waterproof pair of boots. Much lighter than my winter Mantas but not nearly as warm. Try them in the shop with a pair of green Superfeet and heel wedges in them - they work for me.

CurlyStevo 25 Jan 2022
In reply to simonx:

Yeah so you can dubbin brushed leather like on the manta's, I've never done it and it will look a bit crap probably, but I have heard it works (rather than say nikwax which certainly is not as good as the original treatment IMO). I tried that silicone cream stuff (as well as nikwak) on my la sportiva nepal extremes but it wasn't any better. Full grain like the SL's is ofc made for dubbin.

The downside to sl's is weight and feeling a bit clumpy, the upside is they walk anywhere as long as its not too hot or really cold. Not a great summer boot unless you expect a lot of mud / wet, they are too warm and heavy, but still solid performers on the munros on most 'summer' days.

Post edited at 22:40
OP simonx 26 Jan 2022
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Thanls Myfyr and Stevo again. I should get some gel heel wedges tomorrow, so I'll try in the old Mantas on the weekend with the green Superfeet soles (hadn't thought of using both tbh!!). In the meantime, I need to drag myself to a Cotswold's or Brigham's asap to try some on at least.

PS They'd only be for winter(ish) mountain walking, when chance of crampon usage.

OP simonx 13 Feb 2022

Have taken the plunge and bought the SL Actives in a 44, which seems the right size, except I get a bit of heel lift in them - I have skinny ankles which may be a factor. I tried a 43, which weren't too bad but would have got tight and very uncomfortable with swollen feet walking all day. I have them at home to wear around the house for now, have put in the Superfeet insoles and a gel heel insert - still get the heel lift.

Any suggestions on how to address the heel lift much appreciated.

johnt 13 Feb 2022
In reply to simonx:

You could have bought a 43.5 from a European website. It sounds like the 44 maybe too big for you -  also consider that the Superfeet and heel insert may have lifted your heel out of the heelcup which will cause more heel lift (and ettectively shortens the length of the boot). I often find that initial heel lift disappears once the feet, socks  and boot have warmed up a little. ..

Jordan-L 13 Feb 2022
In reply to simonx:

I found this method of lacing seemed to prevent heel lift for me. 

youtube.com/watch?v=cfHvThw2oE4&

I only seem to need it on one of my boots though, the other one doesn't seem to get much heel lift. 

I just found this method too when looking for that video, although I haven't tried it. 

youtube.com/watch?v=AbUAMPQDjyk&

OP simonx 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Jordan-L:

Thanks JB! Been meaning to get round to trying thes this week, but failed so far, tonight hopefully. They look great potential solutions.

JohnT - fair point but I think 44 is the right size, there was also still some heel lift in the 43s, less though that might have disappeared once worn in as you say.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...