Best backpacking tent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Deadeye 13 Jul 2019

Time for the Quasar to be replaced.

Looking for something lightweight, 2-2.5 person (i.e. roomy 2)

What's well-regarded these days?

PPP 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Sorry to do this, but... as catchy as "the best" sounds, it's difficult to define that. Are you looking for a sturdier tent or lighter instead? Do you want a free standing tent? Planning to use it in windier conditions: winter, higher altitude, etc? One entrance or two? Big porch? 

It's just so frustratingly hard to define best overall as what's best for one could be the worst for another! I have went through phases of what's the best rucksack and it's amazing how the preferences differ over the years. 

Deadeye 13 Jul 2019
In reply to PPP:

> Sorry to do this, but... as catchy as "the best" sounds, it's difficult to define that. Are you looking for a sturdier tent or lighter instead? Do you want a free standing tent? Planning to use it in windier conditions: winter, higher altitude, etc? One entrance or two? Big porch? 

> It's just so frustratingly hard to define best overall as what's best for one could be the worst for another! I have went through phases of what's the best rucksack and it's amazing how the preferences differ over the years. 

No worries.  I was looking for recommendations as, of course, best will be in the eye of the user (with a strong post-justification bias).  So if folk say "I have this and it's great", I'll take a look and see if it might be great for me.

jethro kiernan 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

MSR elixer is relatively roomy, well made relatively inexpensive , but yes a little bit more info, is weight a priority, strength, price

where you heading? The Cairngorms in winter is going to require a different tent to Brecon Beacons in the summer

Andy Hardy 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Traditionally, the best tent is the one having the most fun, on that basis Billy Smart's big top has to be in with a shout.

Deadeye 13 Jul 2019
In reply to jethro kiernan:

3 season (I'll break out the Quasar for winter).  Best volume for weight really (although I already have a Wendy House   )

Post edited at 09:18
 Dave Cundy 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Billy Smart's circus...!!  You must be almost as ancient as me!

kevin stephens 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Well regarded is this
https://gb.hilleberg.com/EN/
Rather expensive but they don't get internets posts about breaking poles or crap customer service

Post edited at 09:27
 Andy Chubb 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

I have an MSR Mutha Hubba, which is light (approx 2kg) and roomy for 2 people. It has a good pole configuration which makes the most of the internal space and means it doesn't flap too much in the wind. How robust it is and how long it will last remain to be seen, but I like it.

jethro kiernan 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

That’s why I would consider MSR they are relatively spacious, the Access 2 is worth a look if your planning on more mixed weather camping

I’ve  had a quasar (still do but it’s 30 years old) an Elixer 2 and I now have a Access 2

Hillerbeg are pretty Gucci in price at least but I’ve no experience with them

olddirtydoggy 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

We've used a Mountain Hardwear Ghost UL3 for backpacking. I wouldn't use it as a mountain tent unless the forecast was glorious but it's got us round New Zealand for 3 weeks, Yosemite for 2 weeks and various other camping/climbing trips. The UL3 for 2 people and kit works great.

Only close one we had was in NZ when heavy rain and strong wind hit quite fast. Nearly got destroyed but managed to get it packed just in time. Interestingly many other tents on the site were flattened. Not a bomb shelter but then again that's not what it's designed for. Discontinued now but some still available in the supply chain.

kevin stephens 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Andy Chubb:

> I have an MSR Mutha Hubba, which is light (approx 2kg) and roomy for 2 people. It has a good pole configuration which makes the most of the internal space and means it doesn't flap too much in the wind. How robust it is and how long it will last remain to be seen, but I like it.

Go Outdoors in Sheffield have a number of MSR tents pitched in their upstairs display room

Siward 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Well my strong post-purchase bias is for a Hilleberg Nallo- classic tunnel tent design, twin walled, spacious, goes up inner and outer together. https://gb.hilleberg.com/EN/tent/red-label-tents/nallo-2/

Best bought in a sale/nearly new on account of the price.

It's very like my old Vango Hurricane, which was a fab tent which I used until it was worn out.

The obvious alternative I'd consider would be a Macpac Minaret. Light, but not super light (i.e. robust, proper groundsheet) and I like the sound of the polyester flysheet. https://www.needlesports.com/690/products/macpac-minaret-kiwi.aspx

In reply to Deadeye:

> Best volume for weight really

Then you should be looking at a tunnel.

Flinticus 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Have you looked at the Terra Nova Southern Cross ?

Dark-Cloud 13 Jul 2019
In reply to jethro kiernan:

I bought an Elixir, great tent, pitches very well and loads of room, weight isn’t an issue if split between two.

planetmarshall 13 Jul 2019
In reply to kevin stephens:

I have a couple of Hilleberg tents so obviously rate them, but they tend to be 'bombproof' rather than 'lightweight', so more of a direct replacement for the OP's Quasar rather than something lighter for use in more benign conditions.

rjwlkr 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

I'd throw in another rec for the MSR elixir. I have the 3 person version for two of us and it's roomy (could probably have gone for the 2), has stood up to brief but strong wind and rain, and plenty light to pack and carry. 

Pitches inner first so it'll be wet inside if you need to do it in pouring rain, but so far we've managed to avoid that being a problem.

OwenM 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Have a look at Trekkertent, I have one of their one man tents which is excellent. It's a one man band so things do take some time to arrive.

Another good company is Tarptent but you have to order them from American and pay the duty.

Welsh Kate 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

I'd take a look at the Terra Nova Southern Cross 2, and the Tarptent Scarp 2 from Henry Shires. As someone else said, the Tarptent comes from the US so there's duty to consider.

Both are great tents for all-season use (the Tarptent has cross-poles to turn it into a really beefy offering) and offer a decent amount of room, plus a door on either side. Decent weight / space ratio and neither is on the Scandinavian price scale!!

Flinticus 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I've a tarptent 1 man (Moment DW). I might buy the TN Southern Cross as it ticks so many boxes: free standing, pitch as one, lightweight (<2kg) and 4 season. Next year...

SouthernSteve 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

> Have you looked at the Terra Nova Southern Cross ?

Not that roomy, but quick to pitch and very stable. S

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...