Bentley Bentayga - ideal climber's vehicle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nniff 30 Oct 2020

On another site (road.cc) I've been getting a pop-up ad which featured a somewhat posed 'action' photo of Sasha Digiulian, followed by an ad for a Bentley Bentayga 

Just out of idle curiosity, has anyone ever seen anyone turn up at a crag in one of those?  I though they were limited to Mayfair, certain parts of Cheshire and St Moritz.  Do you think we ought to advise Bentley of the typical vehicle advice threads on here - do you think the call to embrace 'adventure' is to encourage the residents of Mayfair to venture south of the river?   They assure me that "extraordinary is whatever you make it".  

Regardless, top marks to Sasha for getting Bentley to hand over funds.

AukWalk 30 Oct 2020
In reply to nniff:

Pfft, what a pleb posing with a Bentley. Only vehicle that truly lives up to a climber's adventurous spirit is the Rolls Royce Cullinan.

Local craggers near me have no class or sense, the laybys are all bursting with those chavvy Lambourghini Urus's and some working class people even turn up in Range Rovers *shudder*. 

Post edited at 14:48
 TMM 30 Oct 2020
In reply to nniff:

Good grief! Ghastly aspirational machines for appalling human beings.

I flipped mine for a RR Cullinan to escape the grasping hordes.

It could be the perfect climbing vehicle. I have a man that does my climbing for me. I'll ask him and come back to you.

John2 30 Oct 2020
In reply to nniff:

The most extravagant vehicle I have seen someone turn up in at a crag was a Humvee (absolutely enormous). I think it might have been Jack Osbourne.

ripper 30 Oct 2020
In reply to nniff:

Nah. Unimog. The end.

tlouth7 30 Oct 2020
In reply to nniff:

Shouldn't it be a Rolls Royce Cuillin?

A Jaguar E Grade would look the part, but not a lot of space for gear.

OP nniff 30 Oct 2020
In reply to ripper:

> Nah. Unimog.

with tinted windows and leather.  And those spinning wheels that keep on moving when you've stopped..... 

The New NickB 30 Oct 2020
In reply to nniff:

They do a hybrid which they reckon does 80 to the gallon, only £100 a year vehicle excise duty.

Despite not having a spare £150k to buy one, the fact that they are ugly as sin is more of a problem.

John2 30 Oct 2020
In reply to nniff:

Did you know that it is possible to specify the Bentayga with a $160,000 clock?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/videos/a27307/the-bent...

Matt Podd 30 Oct 2020
In reply to nniff:

Eat the rich!

Prof. Outdoors 31 Oct 2020
In reply to AukWalk:

Working class people are allowed to climb? Surely we should be back to Edwardian rules of privilege.

(Actually drive a 261,000k Skoda Octavia. That is miles by the way, not value)

Swirly 31 Oct 2020
In reply to nniff:

Ridiculous, surely if Bentley were marketing a car to climbers they'd call it the Beetham.

gooberman-hill 31 Oct 2020
In reply to nniff:

I can't remember who it was *, but I seem to recall that one of the Armscliff regulars in the 1960s ran an engineering company, and used to turn up regularly in a Rolls Royce.

* It might have been Trevor Peck

Steve

cb294 31 Oct 2020
In reply to nniff:

> Regardless, top marks to Sasha for getting Bentley to hand over funds.

Nah, I always found her rather annoying, now I know why!

bouldery bits 31 Oct 2020
In reply to Swirly:

> Ridiculous, surely if Bentley were marketing a car to climbers they'd call it the Beetham.

Or the 'Neil'.

Andy Hardy 31 Oct 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

Or 'The Bicep'?

Ian65 31 Oct 2020
In reply to nniff:

Yes, I parked next to one at Stanage Plantation A huge, pug ugly beast that didn't look like a quarter of a million £ car.

Prof. Outdoors 31 Oct 2020
In reply to Ian65:

Congleton Institute of Advanced Motorists have good links with Crewe based Bentley and Bentley test drivers. They often give talks and are extremely informative.

A Bentayga was brought over on one of the club meets. I am afraid I was not impressed and it looked quite tacky rather than ostentatious. Lots of tech on it but I preferred the Range Rover if I had to buy a Chelsea tractor.

Maybe a Bentayga could be "improved" by Mario Balotelli like he did his Bentley.

https://blog.dupontregistry.com/celebrity-cars/mario-balotelli-wraps-bentle...

If oppportunity arises, a tour of the Bentley factory is well worth it even just to see the cleanliness and the insight to car construction.

Post edited at 13:07
 slab_happy 31 Oct 2020
In reply to gooberman-hill:

According to legend, Peck got into climbing after meeting Pete Biven when the latter was hitch-hiking and Peck gave him a lift in his Rollls.

Dave Cundy 31 Oct 2020
In reply to nniff:

My sadly-departed friend Sean used to turn up to a Wednesday evening caving trip in his spotless Boxster.  He'd get out, open the bonnet and hoike out his Inglesports bag of muddy caving gear. And then turn around to say hello with a mischievous grin.

Ya gotta have class, whatever ya wheels B-)

Darron 31 Oct 2020
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

Trevor Pecks Roller would have been made in my home town of Crewe too.

Rich W Parker 31 Oct 2020
In reply to AukWalk:

My first thought is the RR looks like a taxi.

Philb1950 01 Nov 2020
In reply to Dave Cundy:

Boxster,s not a real Porsche.

McHeath 02 Nov 2020
In reply to tlouth7:

> Shouldn't it be a Rolls Royce Cuillin?

> A Jaguar E Grade would look the part, but not a lot of space for gear.

I used to use a Via Ferrari for my trips to the Dolomites, but since getting into sport climbing I've exchanged it for a Morgan +8c. 

PaulTclimbing 02 Nov 2020
In reply to nniff:

Lear jet to Geneva, with onward taxi to the hotel. Mule to the climb. As you get older!

Le Sapeur 02 Nov 2020
In reply to Philb1950:

> Boxster,s not a real Porsche.

Presumably every car made by Porsche is a real Porsche?

Which Porsche do you drive?

In reply to nniff:

I'd never heard of it.

Man, that is one fugly vehicle.

henwardian 02 Nov 2020
In reply to nniff:

Well done. That made me laugh very hard. I will also accord Sasha top marks for this coup.

I can only imagine that someone at Bentley thinks they might sell a few more cars if their superrich clientele think that buying one makes them appear more dynamic and action packed and exciting... or something.

Tom Valentine 02 Nov 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

If an Octavia driver is allowed to comment : I think there was some proper debate about whether the 914 was a "real" Porsche .

Philb1950 03 Nov 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

911 4S Cabriolet. Actually I’ve sold it. Scratched that itch. Sold the Ducati’s as well. Too old to ride them as they should be ridden.

jezb1 03 Nov 2020
In reply to Philb1950:

Is a 4wd 911 really a 911?

😉

cb294 03 Nov 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Man, that is one fugly vehicle.

It is a paintjob version of an Audi Q7, the number one car of choice for autobahn arseholes.

CB

Philb1950 03 Nov 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Think so. 911 turbo is 4x4. Ultimate 911? Previously though had a Carrera 2.

jezb1 03 Nov 2020
In reply to Philb1950:

I'm only messing. In normal real world use I never really clicked with my dream RWD car and didn't keep it very long. I enjoy my RS4 loads more, just because it's easier to enjoy more 99% of the time!

Philb1950 03 Nov 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Had an RS6 and the Porky is just as practical. My wife claimed 25+ mpg tootling around, (Porkys were her cars), whereas I usually got about 12 to 15. Prefer bikes. For a real dream garage and enjoyment, the late, very great and much missed John Allen had a Bentley Continental an Aston and a Lamborghini, all at once.

jimtitt 03 Nov 2020
In reply to nniff:

Back in the day (early70's) my climbing wheels were either a 4.2 E-type convertible or a Jaguar 420G (ex British Embassy car in Berlin). They were our office runabouts. My personal wheels were an ex-Warren Pearce race 3.8 mk 2.

Nowadays it's a Ford Galaxy or a 900 Yamaha.

jezb1 03 Nov 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

What office had an e type runaround?!

jimtitt 03 Nov 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Back then it was cheaper to buy an old E-type and restore it than buy a miserable Ford van. (I was assistant sales manager in a agricultural supply company).

jezb1 03 Nov 2020
In reply to jimtitt:

Oh wow, that’s crazy!

In reply to gooberman-hill: and down at Bosigran with the Bivens

veteye 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Philb1950:

Whatever the case: When the hard top version came out, i.e. the Cayman, I fell in love with it's shape. Then soon after I saw someone in Glen Coe in January with one getting loads of ice-climbing gear out of a Cayman S. About 2 years later I bought a virtually new one( year old ex-demo). 

It's such a balanced car, and so to be able to thrash it heading to the crag/hills, and then go for a climb was a real dream. The sound of the engine was so bloody lovely, and the sound of the music system at lower speeds was a great complementary pairing. I sold it too late and lost lots of money, partly due to the bearing-worry people had-not likely in mine, as it mostly happened in cars that had been driven slowly at any point.

Post edited at 00:27

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...