Belt for outdoor trousers/shorts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zarathustra 30 Jun 2021

Hello,

I was wondering if somebody could please recommend a suitable belt for climbing shorts/trousers?

I have a fabric one that came with my Montaine trousers but I was wondering if there is a suitable leather one?

many thanks. 

In reply to zarathustra:

Austrialpin do good belts, they're not cheap though.

Arcade belts are less expensive and work very well

drconline 30 Jun 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

I'm a big fan of stretchy woven webbing belts with friction buckles.

e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KYEYGWO-Elastic-Outdoor-Adjustable-Stretch/dp/B07D...

Easy to adjust (no holes, just a friction clamp) and a bit of give when you're reaching for a tricky foot placement.

Added bonus (not so relevant now) is they don't set off airport metal detectors.

OP zarathustra 30 Jun 2021

Thanks both! I’ll take a look. 

cheers. 

TobyA 30 Jun 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

I like the lightweight plastic buckle ones that have come with various "tech" trousers like Montane Terras. I use them on softshell troos that didn't come supplied with a belt. They are light and relatively comfy under a climbing harness. Presumably any leather belt would do the same job, but probably less comfortably, and probably slower drying and so on. What don't you like about the one that you have?

In reply to drconline:

A fellow belt connoisseur I see.

I believe it's well past time belts had their own forum on here, I'm sure you'll join me in my new pressure group,

Basemetal 30 Jun 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

Sew the low-profile buckle of your choice on a metre of your preferred webbing? I did this about 30 y ago and it's still my favourite belt. Took about 5 minutes to make.

oldie 30 Jun 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

Not quite on point but does one really need a belt when wearing climbing trousers with a climbing harness on? I've never liked the idea of wearing a buckled belt under a harness and wear Ron Hill or salopette type trousers which don't require one. I've recently started wearing elastic braces for DIY etc and find they give good freedom of movement, though they'd not be suitable for climbing as would catch on things.

girlymonkey 30 Jun 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

There is a company who make belts from old climbing rope. I find mine very comfortable and I also like that it's reusing old ropes

https://dirtbagsclimbing.co.uk/shop/accessories/belts/bowfell-belt-17/

Post edited at 16:21
 Bob Kemp 30 Jun 2021
In reply to Punter S Thompson:

> I believe it's well past time belts had their own forum on here, I'm sure you'll join me in my new pressure group,

I don’t think the majority of UKCers would wear it. No stomach for it… Personally I think the idea’s pants. 
(Sorry- seem to have exceeded my bad joke quota there.)

Lankyman 30 Jun 2021

> A fellow belt connoisseur I see.

> I believe it's well past time belts had their own forum on here, I'm sure you'll join me in my new pressure group,

Oh do belt up!

Removed User 30 Jun 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

I recently forked out for the following belt which has some old school appeal. The buckle is plastic but solid.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/x-access-hunting-belt/_/R-p-144503?mc=8368917

Wider webbing is essential in by opinion, to stabilise and retain one's girth without pinching...

earlsdonwhu 30 Jun 2021

Not sure if they are still made or in adult sizes.

Toerag 30 Jun 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

I have a friction belt as my 'daily driver' and wouldn't wear it for climbing because it's easily opened by scraping one's front across the rock. It is a large jack wolfskin one though, a small plastic one may not suffer as much.

LastBoyScout 30 Jun 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

> Sew the low-profile buckle of your choice on a metre of your preferred webbing? I did this about 30 y ago and it's still my favourite belt. Took about 5 minutes to make.

That was my original chalk bag belt. Got re-purposed for triathlon race numbers by sewing a couple of bits of cord on.

My current chalk bag belt is the strap out of an old Specialized bike helmet - perfect length and width.

LastBoyScout 30 Jun 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> There is a company who make belts from old climbing rope. I find mine very comfortable and I also like that it's reusing old ropes

Nice idea, but they need to use a better buckle - that one is TOO wide.

Gwain 01 Jul 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

I got a buckle free one. It's more comfortable than a buckle with a harness on. 

Dark-Cloud 01 Jul 2021

Its another vote for Arcade from me, I use them on everything.

BuzyG 01 Jul 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

I simply use a normal leather belt that I might wear with any pair of trousers.   The current belt, I used with my out door kit, is all over 30 years old and works as well as it did on day one. 

https://bucklemybelt.com/collections/1-inch-25mm-leather-belts

Post edited at 09:44
 Graham 03 Jul 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

I got a Mammut Alpine belt and I think it's great. Slightly stretchy, nice flat buckle.  

CantClimbTom 05 Jul 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

Personally I find that belts, especially the buckles and climbing harnesses don't go so well so I take the belts off, that's exactly why I like elasticy waist trousers like the Montaine ones, or I so did until some ******* on these forums pointed out that they make you look like a wannabe Bear Grylls. That burst my "I still look cool" bubble and crushed my dreams

MeMeMe 05 Jul 2021
In reply to Removed User:

What the hell is a 'hunting' belt?

Are you supposed to strangle something with it...?

Iamgregp 05 Jul 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

used to have a couple of pairs of Wild Country trousers that have an integral belt thingy, but I’ve not been able to get hold of them of late so bought one of these La Sportiva belts https://www.lasportiva.com/en/rauti-belt-black-x75999999 which I now wear on my jeans and climbing trousers. Really like it as it has a small, unobtrusive, buckle, which doesn’t slip or need adjusting at all.

neuromancer 10 Jul 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

You spent £45 on a strip of webbing and a threadback buckle?

CantClimbTom 11 Jul 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

Good point, instead OP can get a pseudo leather one with a buckle for £75 from Hugo Boss to get that German fashionista look and spend even more

I'm baffled by the whole thing, because belts sometimes come with trousers and last me longer than trousers I have a small excess of belts, the idea of spending money on them is confusing for me. 

Alternatively you could use a length of 4mm accessory cord and tie a bow, or 2 micro sized quicklinks (maillons) to make a double ring type adjuster if you want to look kewl like the kids

In reply to CantClimbTom:

Or use 6mm accessory cord so you've always got some bail tat on you. Even in the supermarket.

rsc 11 Jul 2021
In reply to pancakeandchips:

No no no, you haven’t thought this through. If you bail using the cord that holds your trousers up, what’s going to happen next?

Ian Parsons 11 Jul 2021
In reply to rsc:

You'll be ok as long as you can lower at the same speed as your trousers. And don't stop.

In reply to rsc:

Well, at that point my dignity is already in tatters.

Iamgregp 12 Jul 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

Bought it in the La Sportiva shop in Finale.  Can't remember how much I paid for it. Probably around that.  I don't mind paying good money for quality clothes that'll last...

For example the jeans I wear are over £100 but they last and last, and when they get holes in them you can take them back into the shop and they'll repair them for free.  Very much into this way of thinking.  Hate fast fashion / cheap clothes.

Xharlie 12 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> There is a company who make belts from old climbing rope. I find mine very comfortable and I also like that it's reusing old ropes

Isn't that just called "cutting a length of old rope and tying a knot in it"?

Not precisely low profile, per se...

girlymonkey 12 Jul 2021
In reply to Xharlie:

No. They take the core out and flatten the sheath. They stitch 3 sheaths together and put a buckle on it. If you followed the link you would see it. Very comfy and robust

Xharlie 12 Jul 2021

> Alternatively you could use a length of 4mm accessory cord and tie a bow, or 2 micro sized quicklinks (maillons) to make a double ring type adjuster if you want to look kewl like the kids

If you use rated webbing for a belt, you can also pocket the plastic buckle and sacrifice the webbing should you need to bail. Perhaps cutting a notch or mark into the buckle for each bail will become some future ritual or tradition of shame of some sort.

CantClimbTom 12 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Ermm... ermm...  couldn't you just buy a climbing belt? Essentially that's what they made as they used a harness buckle.  Which due to safety regulations these days cannot be explicitly called a climbing belt or a belay belt. But I think it can be called a caving belt even though it's the same thing as it doesn't imply you would belay with it  (but of course people can and do use them, just don't be left hanging in freespace if you want to keep breathing)

https://www.inglesport.com/product/warmbac-caving-belt/

girlymonkey 12 Jul 2021

Indeed you could! It was  suggestion, like many others on here!! I personally try to buy things second hand or upcycled as much as possible, so for me this is a great option. Each to their own though

neuromancer 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

I concur. I'm not sure, however, that a bit of nylon that is only expensive because it has a brand on it really qualifies in the same way as Edwin jeans do over going to the Gap. 

My mate once paid 75€ in a shop in andermatt for a t-shirt. It had norrona on it. God knows what possessed him. Or me for paying 30€ for a dynafit visor. Fashion victims. 

Iamgregp 13 Jul 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

Yeah you're right - In all honesty I could have got much the same thing for around half the price without the branding on it.   Maybe I am a fashion victim,

But then on the other hand what's the alternative?  Save 20 quid and spend the next 5 or 6 years (possibly even longer) wearing a belt every day that means nothing to me and doesn't reflect the branding of a company that I like and and am happy to display my support for?  

For the sake of 20 quid, around the price of a round of drinks on a Friday night? 

It's Nudie jeans I wear.  Check out their sustainability/recycling/repair ethos, absolutely top notch.

CantClimbTom 13 Jul 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

Wow this jeans thing is making feel unfashionably inadequate. I pick jeans based only by if they look normal and will they actually fit my chunky thighs and big azz. I have terrible  difficulty with trousers since loose fit look went out of fashion, maybe this too explains my lesser interest in belts?

(Due to years of doing barbell squats 3 times a week, not solely caused by eating pies)

Dax H 13 Jul 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

Happy to make you a beast of a belt buckle in my forge if you like.

Very strong made from 10 or 12mm round bar but possibly a bit heavy for climbing. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...