Belay Glasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cú Chullain 04 Sep 2019

Was in Decathalon the other day having a mooch and saw these for sale.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/belayer-turquoise-glasses-id_8495298.html

"We developed these glasses for climbers of all levels who are tired of getting a sore neck while climbing indoors or out. Without having to manoeuvrer, you can easily see the climber with precision."

I know rock climbers don't need much persuasion when it comes to buying shiny new kit but these glasses seem to be a bit OTT.

jezb1 04 Sep 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Really? Belay glasses are great, I use those Decathlon ones, they're a bargain, worth every penny.

Climbthatpitch 04 Sep 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Thanks for the link.

Might be my next purchase 😁

spidermonkey09 04 Sep 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Have you actually been climbing in the past 5 years? They've been around at least that long. Personally they give me a bit of motion sickness but almost everyone I climb with has a pair, thinking about it. 

Post edited at 10:16
 Pete Dangerous 04 Sep 2019
In reply to spidermonkey09:

They've been around for 10 years at least

HB1 04 Sep 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain: 

Not OTT at all.  I've had a pair for 10 years or so. What a huge difference they make - not just for the neck muscles, but also  the fact that, as belayer, you feel so much more in touch with your partner - you're more aware, closer to the climbing action, part of things. Get some!

OP Cú Chullain 04 Sep 2019
In reply to spidermonkey09:

> Have you actually been climbing in the past 5 years? They've been around at least that long. Personally they give me a bit of motion sickness but almost everyone I climb with has a pair, thinking about it. 

Been climbing plenty of times in the last five years and I can honestly say I have never seen them! Maybe I am climbing at the wrong walls and crags!

In reply to Cú Chullain:

Try them, they are good. More use sport climbing/on the wall than trad climbing. 

The added advantage is they act as blinkers for your be layer, so he is more likely to be watching you rather than the girl in the tight vest next door. 

Qwerty2019 04 Sep 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

If you saw me at kendal wall on Monday evening you would fully appreciate belay glasses.  3hrs of belaying with a climber going up and down the 25m wall.  My neck would be in pieces otherwise.

Iamgregp 04 Sep 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I never go climbing without a pair, absolutely brilliant things they are...

Those £15 Decathlon ones are a bargain and all....  Will defo get them when my current (pricier) pair break...

Enty 04 Sep 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Decathlon ones are by far the best budget glasses. They have literally saved my neck.

E

In reply to Cú Chullain:

Another vote for these Decathlon glasses. Great value compared to other ones on the market. I've seen them for £55 at a local wall. They have saved my neck and shoulders in the winter at the indoor wall.

Qwerty2019 04 Sep 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I have the much more expensive (£55) Y&Y clip on belay glasses.  Found them excellent.  I wear normal glasses so I can’t wear the decathlon ones.  I just clip these on.  Been really pleased with them

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...