Beal Opera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 17 Jun 2020

Connected to my last post. Steve said they were stiff. 

For those that have used them as doubles in guide more in a reverso, how easily do they flow through the device c.f. other double ropes you have used?

Thanks

rogerwebb 17 Jun 2020
In reply to David Coley:

I haven't noticed any difficulties. You do really need to make sure that you initially uncoil them exactly as instructed. A few moments of rush result in having to do a lot of unkinking.

They seem to be quite tough. 

Street 17 Jun 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:

I've got a pair of these and they were a bit stiff at the start. I took one to the Alps and it got a bit of use and softened up nicely fairly quickly though. I made sure I used the other one next to balance them out and they're both great now.

Luke90 17 Jun 2020
In reply to David Coley:

I haven't used mine in guide mode yet but in general belaying use in a Reverso I haven't noticed them feeling any worse than other new ropes.

No difficulties with unpacking them either. They come in one of those packs where you just pull the rope out through a hole in the packaging. Easy.

rogerwebb 17 Jun 2020
In reply to Luke90:

> No difficulties with unpacking them either. They come in one of those packs where you just pull the rope out through a hole in the packaging. Easy.

Either I missed that or they have improved the packaging in the last two years! 

Luke90 17 Jun 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:

Only bought mine a month or two ago so seems entirely possible that they've changed it sometime.

It was certainly a big improvement over the old method of trying to unspool the rope around your arms. Not sure how well I would have managed that one on my own in lockdown.

rogerwebb 17 Jun 2020
In reply to Luke90:

> Only bought mine a month or two ago so seems entirely possible that they've changed it sometime.

> It was certainly a big improvement over the old method of trying to unspool the rope around your arms. Not sure how well I would have managed that one on my own in lockdown.

It was the old unspooling method. I had to take one of my ropes for a long drag. Fortunately it was on snow. Excellent ropes. 

Street 17 Jun 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:

That would have been handy! I bought mine before they'd changed the packaging as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...