Beal dry cover Vs golden dry?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baron Weasel 16 Sep 2019

I need to replace my ropes and I've decided on beal as my last one has been brilliant. It's mostly for trad climbing on lakes crags, but will also be used for some Lakes and Scottish winter a bit too.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra cash to get golden dry over dry cover? 

Post edited at 23:36
 pass and peak 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Baron Weasel:

I tend now for my half ropes to just get dry cover, use them exclusively for winter until they start to noticeably start to freeze up, or start to soak up more moisture than I would like, I then allocate them as summer ropes  only and bring out the new set for winter, usually get 2 winters from a pair. There again, depends on how much climbing your doing and if your going to use the same ropes at the same time for both winter and summer, if that's the case I'd go with golden dry!

OP Baron Weasel 18 Sep 2019
In reply to pass and peak:

Thanks, that's exactly the information I was after. As I'll be using them for both I'm going to buy golden dry - they've been approved by the finance committee

Martin Hore 18 Sep 2019
In reply to Baron Weasel:

I've bought two Beal Cobras in the last three years with the Golden Dry finish. I love the handling characteristics but have found that the sheath is not very durable. Small nicks have led me to cut one (from 60m to 50m) and I now have some doubts about the other (the worst nick is in the middle). I may be over-cautious, but for my latest purchase I've switched to Mammut Genesis following recommendations on here. So far so good but it's fairly early days with the new rope.

I climb mostly trad with a bit of winter/alpine. Interestingly, the cut down Cobra survived a week's glacier trekking this summer without further damage and little water absorption considering - so I wouldn't question the golden dry finish.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...