Base Layers vs Underwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jockodiounto 07 Apr 2019

This might sound like an odd question, do people wear base layers as well as underwear? I struggle with chaffing from boxer short waist bands rubbing at the back so I have taken to tucking a very light merino t-shirt INTO boxers. Is this really wrong?

Just wondering……...

Post edited at 19:36
 Dark-Cloud 07 Apr 2019
In reply to jockodiounto:

Boxers ? Shudder, synthetic trunks is where it’s at.

Nothing working with tucking thermals into underwear, I do it if running, stops them riding up and leaving exposed skin which gets rubbed by a pack, also when skiing to stop drafts etc.

Monk 07 Apr 2019

If I'm doing anything serious, i wear undercrackers made from the same stuff as thermals. Normal ones just chafe, as you have discovered. 

GridNorth 07 Apr 2019

Under Armour with 6" long legs.  The best underwear I've ever worn.  I started wearing it for climbing but it's so comfy I now wear it as everyday underwear.

Al

Dave the Rave 07 Apr 2019

Pair of speedo budgie smugglers. Cheap and built for dips in the summer.

Billhook 07 Apr 2019

'baselayers' under walking trousers?.   Softies!  ordinary everyday underwear is all you need unless you're out in summer trews in the middle of winter.

I don't know what 'base layers' are, but if they are anything like "Long Johns" they're totally unnecessary in the UK and much colder climates. About as useless as pyjamas in bed.

Doghouse 07 Apr 2019
In reply to John Stainforth:

> I don't know what 'base layers' are, but if they are anything like "Long Johns" they're totally unnecessary in the UK and much colder climates. About as useless as pyjamas in bed.

What a load of sh* te!

In reply to Doghouse:

Agree. All I wear is some speedos and a pair of poly cotton trousers all year. If it’s cold I add some 30yr old helly lifa longjohns. The warmth they create is amazing making wearing overtrousers unnecessary in all but foul weather.

In reply to GridNorth:

> Under Armour with 6" long legs.  The best underwear I've ever worn.  I started wearing it for climbing but it's so comfy I now wear it as everyday underwear.

> Al

Betty Swollox? 

Street 07 Apr 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

Likewise! UA are the only ones I buy now. They crop up on Sport Pursuit fairly often too at a decent price.

GridNorth 08 Apr 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Betty Swollox? 

Not that I've noticed.

bouldery bits 08 Apr 2019

Helly Hansen X-Cool boxers. 

Never understood spending huge quantities of money on wicking this and that and then pairing it with cotton undies in a high friction (and delicate!) area. 

Toerag 09 Apr 2019
In reply to bouldery bits:

I find artificial fibres next to my skin results in spots akin to heat rash. Cotton undies are my preferred option. Merino is also OK but not durable in the lighter weights.

bouldery bits 09 Apr 2019
In reply to Toerag:

> I find artificial fibres next to my skin results in spots akin to heat rash. Cotton undies are my preferred option. Merino is also OK but not durable in the lighter weights.

Ah, I'm lucky with that.

I agree - merino is expensive and doesn't seem to last too well. Good luck finding the perfect under crackers!

nathan79 09 Apr 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:

The 6" boxers are much more breathable than the longer compression shorts.

jethro kiernan 10 Apr 2019

under armour or decathlon sports pants, both picked up in sales.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...