Backpack fitting (child carrier)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 30 Mar 2020

Now we have a daily family walk I'm getting lots more use out of the Osprey Poco child carrier we bought (I've carried our relatively heavy 1yo in it every day for the last few days), going on roughly 60-90 min walks up hills etc.

Finding that it's making my back ache while I have it on - kind of in the middle ish but nearer the top, I adjusted the strap height thing for people of different heights and that made a difference but not for long.

Could it just be because I've been wearing it so much and he and the backpack weigh a tonne and I'm not used to it? When I hike I don't carry half as much weight and that can be for 10 hours and my back doesn't ache.

or is it that I've not adjusted it or it doesn't agree with me?

The bag has really firm hip belts and I do feel they are taking a lot of the weight but still my back hurts.

Cheers for any advice!

ogreville 30 Mar 2020
In reply to elliot.baker:
try loosening off the tension on the shoulder straps. This worked for me when having the same problems. Bit counter intuitive but seemed to work.

I also realised that the weight distribution is very different from a regular pack. Normal pack seems much closer to the body and lower down. When the wee one is sleeping it also seems to make a difference as they aren't holding the weight of their own head. 

Exaggerated good posture, channeled through the core seems to help. Really trying to keep the weight centres too seems to work- wider legs and walking poles etc. 

AlanLittle 30 Mar 2020
In reply to elliot.baker:

Small, concentrated weight, further from your back & jumping about makes it much harder than a normal rucksack of similar weight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...