Back-up phone for emergencies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 norrisdan71 30 Jan 2023

Morning

I would like to take a backup phone in case I kneel on, drown or lose on my iphone while I am away in Norway for a month. Can anyone recommend a cheap and cheerful model with good battery, possibly the capacity to play podcasts and audio books. I don't know whether 2,3,4 or 5G is a necessity in Norway - all I want to do is make calls. There's £20 models in argos, would that do if I get a sim in Norway when I arrive?

Thanks, any advice much appreciated

Diddy 30 Jan 2023
In reply to norrisdan71:

I had similar issue for Austria, Germany, and USA. I found, like here, in many towns and certainly big cities, airports there are phone shops who will advise the best action; likely a SIM for their service providers;

Just for safety issues in the mountains I bought a minimalist phone and deal in the USA; $20+ a few years back.

When I updated my Smart phone I kept the old one; they have different providers, 02 and Three. I take both so I when I venture out in the hills I am likely to obtain a signal in emergency. I tell her indoors I will not be in daily/regular contact. Check your route online to see what phone reception is possible.

In reply to norrisdan71:

You also need to consider SIM 'life', and whether it will be revoked if you don't use it. Three do this, even if you have credit on it (PAYG). Giffgaff revoke roaming if you don't use the SIM.

ianstevens 31 Jan 2023
In reply to norrisdan71:

If the handset is unlocked you can pick up PAYG sim cards in most of the airports without difficulty. Calls to Uk numbers with a Norwegian sim will be expensive mind. Unlike the UK, Norway invests in infrastructure - so phone signal is generally pretty good unless you are somewhere really remote. 

midgen 31 Jan 2023
In reply to norrisdan71:

Bear in mind roaming agreements are still largely in place so you can use a UK SIM in Norway fine (obviously check your particular provider). 

ExiledScot 31 Jan 2023
In reply to midgen:

Not all have eu roaming now that the transition period is over, but if it's an emergency then cost won't be a primary consideration.

Op,

https://smarty.co.uk/  do very cheap sim cards with eu roaming. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...