B2 Boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dakin 21 Oct 2020

Hi all,

Recently bought a pair of Scarpa Manta GTX for winter walking with crampons etc.

My question are;

1) are B2 boots suitable for wet walking in autumn and spring or are they generally only used in winter? Alternatively I have a good pair of Brasher boots that have only let me down on the wettest of outings.

2) Do these boots need breaking in? I assume yes like all boots but I have read no because of how rigid they are they don't break in so much.

Sorry if the questions sound stupid but you read such contradictory things on the Internet and you can't beat 1st hand experience.

Thanks

craig1983 21 Oct 2020
In reply to Dakin:

I have the Manta Pro GTX and they were comfy straight out the box.  I think with modern material boots, breaking in isn't really an issue...more so with leather.

I've worn them outwith winter before and they'll do fine, but because they're stiff I did regret it by the end of the day and wished i'd just used my summer boots.

mcawle 21 Oct 2020
In reply to Dakin:

They're not unsuitable outside of winter conditions (and they are common for use in the summer in alpine conditions), but they may be overkill for summer/autumn in the UK - stiffer and warmer than you may need if you already have a decent pair of boots. Also they probably cost more than your existing boots, so there is the question of saving wear and tear on them when you have the chance to wear your existing ones.

Re: breaking in - I'd say it will depend on your feet. The stiffness alone can take some getting used to, even if you don't have issues with blisters etc. I would plan on taking them on some short walks first and gradually ease in, rather than committing straight to a massive day (or else you could carry your old boots just in case).

OP Dakin 21 Oct 2020
In reply to all

ill just take my summer boots and do some small walks to break them in ready for some winter stuff

Thanks for getting back to me so fast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...