B2 boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FrankBooth 08 Aug 2019

I've worn Scarpa Charmoz for years, climbing/scrambling in summer, and occasionally lower grade wintery stuff. Having suffered crippling blisters (heel and toes) in everything else I tried (including Mantas which I thought would be okay), it was a massive relief that I could wear the Charmoz all day relatively unscathed.

A few years ago though, I bust my ankle quite badly (a trimalleolar fracture) and since then I've only started getting back into the hills in the past 12 months. Unfortunately, the Charmoz just don't fit properly anymore - the toes on the injured foot are a bit too bunched up and blister up badly, so I think I need something that better suits my changing feet.

I liked the look, and weight of the La Sportiva Trango Tower, but I'm guessing they're a similar last to the Chamoz? Does anyone have any experience of comparing the two in real-world scenarios? Any other suggestion? Again, I'd prefer that B1/B2 lightweight style if possible.

thanks

Frank

In reply to FrankBooth:

Hi Frank,

This mountain boots group test might be a good place to start:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/footwear/mountain_boots/all_round_b1-b2_...

1philjones1 08 Aug 2019
In reply to FrankBooth:

The Scarpa Ribelle lite have more toe room and a generally larger last. Worth a try. Not that warm and only just b2 but great for alpine summer  if they fit 

hpil 08 Aug 2019
In reply to FrankBooth:

I think La Sportivas generally tend to be narrower than Scarpas - when looking for replacement B3s i tried Nepals and Nepal Evos, and both were too narrow (but it took me a day of wearing to find out!). I ended up with Scarpa Mont Blancs for winter climbing, Scarpa Charmoz (the blue version) for winter walking and Scarpa Marmoladas (the red ones) for summer walking & scrambling.

oldie 08 Aug 2019
In reply to FrankBooth:

I got some North Face Verto S4K goretex Boots in 2016. Like them. B2, widish fit.
Light and nimble, good for rock climbing.  Less good for steep ice,  not very warm

BnB 09 Aug 2019
In reply to 1philjones1:

> The Scarpa Ribelle lite have more toe room and a generally larger last. Worth a try. Not that warm and only just b2 but great for alpine summer  if they fit 

These. Not unlike the Charmoz but lighter and hence more comfortable. I wear them all year round, even winter up to grade 2, but go for a warmer boot if I'm expecting to hang around on belays on harder routes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...