AtomPacks Feedback

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 damowilk 02 Aug 2020

Hi,

Anyone bought an AtomPacks pack and mind giving their opinion? Or of another company that does customisable packs? 

I’ve given up trying to find my perfect ski touring/mountaineering pack off-the-peg, and am considering using a company that does either bespoke or customisable base packs.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Doug 02 Aug 2020
In reply to damowilk:

https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/ offer customised sacs, the standard models look good  in the shop although I've never used one

pyrrho101 02 Aug 2020
 Andypeak 02 Aug 2020
In reply to damowilk:

I've got an Atom Pack. I went for a customised Mo  and I am very happy with it. Perfect built quality, well designed, good communication throughout. My only very slight criticism is that I think his litres are on the small side and the bag feels smaller than the 55l it's supposed to be. 

L.A. 02 Aug 2020
In reply to damowilk: I really rate Aguille packs. Ive had 3 made for me over the years. The quality is outstanding, utterly bombproof, no gimmicks and still pretty light. Adrian the owner is happy to discuss and suggest any modifications with you.

https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/products/rucksacks-bags/

Bear with the website its not the best and for some reason there's also a secret page on their website of classic packs that doesn't show anywhere on the menu.

https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/products/uncategorized/classic-range/

Post edited at 09:41
 bouldery bits 02 Aug 2020
In reply to pyrrho101:

Crikey! There's some serious commitment on that thread. Wow.

I thought I was hardcore when I chopped my toothbrush for the OMM.

OwenM 02 Aug 2020
In reply to damowilk:

I have a Atompack Prospector, 40lt if I remember correctly. Had it a couple of years. Very well made and really good material. I don't think he makes the prospector anymore. Two side pockets are very generous and the big mesh pocket on the back is very useful for stashing wet kit. There's also a mesh pocket on the bottom of the sack which is probably the most useful. It's ideal to slide your map into out of the way, just don't do this with a paper map. It's a roll top design and zig-zag bungy up either side and across the back mesh pocket. I have a hip pocket either side and one shoulder pocket, these are add on extras. 

When I ordered it there was a waiting list of about five weeks in the end it took ten weeks to arrive. They are very expensive and I have to say not really worth the extra. The back system is made of a plastic sheet which doesn't really transfer the weight to the waist belt. Consequently it's not that comfortable to carry, all the weight hangs off your shoulders. Mine isn't waterproof either. They don't have any system for carrying skis, unless he's added one to his newer models.  

OP damowilk 04 Aug 2020
In reply to OwenM:

Thanks for all the replies.

Harry Ellis 05 Aug 2020
In reply to damowilk:

I’ve been using this since winter and think it’s great. https://atompacks.co.uk/collections/the-pinnacle

Framesheet has an aluminium stave which adds good load carrying stiffness. Fabric is the same stuff Pod made Black Ice from. I used it for ski mountaineering in Scotland this spring and it worked well. Carried skis and boots on the sides and was comfy. Would recommend. 

random_watcher 05 Aug 2020
In reply to damowilk:

> I’ve given up trying to find my perfect ski touring/mountaineering pack off-the-peg, and am considering using a company that does either bespoke or customisable base packs.

Just out of interest what features are you looking for? I've also struggled to find the perfect ski touring/mountaineering pack and was wondering if we are just overly fussy or all just looking for completely different things.

OP damowilk 05 Aug 2020
In reply to random_watcher:

I freely admit I’m probably overly fussy!

My Wishlist is:

55 litres give or take, and 1.5kg or under. Traditional top access bag, I’m undecided if an optional side entry zip is worth the extra failure point.

Light but durable fabric like Dyneema, 

Hip belt pockets, lid closure, not roll top, external helmet carrier would be nice

Seperate avi compartment, ideally as a front pocket

2 technical tool carrier, the tunnel and clip style, not just loops.

Side ski A frame carry. Diagonal carry optional as I don’t use one that often.

The closest I’ve come was the Bergen’s Helium Pro, but it’s a disappointingly fragile fabric.

random_watcher 05 Aug 2020
In reply to damowilk:

That doesn't sound too fussy and is not dissimilar to what I would be looking for. It is a bit surprising there doesn't seem to be much on offer that comes close to this.

I think the closest thing that I have found is a Mammut Trion 50, not quite perfect but it is tempting me.

EdS 05 Aug 2020
In reply to damowilk:

sounds like what I was after  - except I wanted 35l or there abouts but expandable

In end I got a Ferrino TRIOLET 32+5 as it ticked most boxs (plus a few others) and it was on an exceptional deal. So far pleasantly surpised - so much so sold a couple of pack.

I'm liking that it can be stripped back in backsheet - so can be used as hand luggage as well

https://www.ferrino.it/en/shop-en/equipment/backpacks/mountaineering/75581g...

HammondR 05 Aug 2020
In reply to damowilk: good grief, 55kg sounds big. Just curious what you intend to cart around with you? My largest pure touring pack is 30 litres and if real climbing might be thrown in I us the 33 litre Aiguille Cirrus.

r.king 05 Aug 2020
In reply to damowilk:

The black diamond cirque pretty similar spec but only comes in 35 and 45l. 

Maybe still worth a look to see if the 45 is at all close to the volume you need. 

​​​I'm fairly picky on bags and love using the 35.

OP damowilk 05 Aug 2020
In reply to HammondR:

55kg would be big!😀

NZ mountaineering/touring! Might start with a 1 day bush/river walk in, occasional night out etc. I do have a smaller day touring pack.  And I do like to have a bit of extra space to play with. 

HammondR 05 Aug 2020
In reply to damowilk: oops!

vscott 06 Aug 2020
In reply to damowilk: worth a look at back country access packs - prob got something not too dissimilar to this wish list. 

Scott K 06 Aug 2020
In reply to damowilk:

Cilogear might work. The 45l worksack is supposed to be good for ski touring. I have a 30 l and it is nicely made. They also do NWD fabric but brace yourself for the price! Just looked on the site and they have ski packs!

Post edited at 10:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...