Are Simond helmets any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Graeme G 07 Jul 2020

I’ve read a few reviews questioning the fit and longevity. But for the price they seem like a really good buy.

Anyone use them who can offer any personal experience?

tjin 07 Jul 2020

Fit is rather personal. The only thing that helps with fit is to go to the store and fit it. 

OP Graeme G 07 Jul 2020
In reply to tjin:

Yeah, I did wonder at some of those reviews. Not like we’re all the same shape.

In reply to Graeme G:

The adjustment can be a bit fiddly, but I like them - I have several (for personal/professional/caving use). 

OP Graeme G 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Thanks. 

beardy mike 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

Bought one on a whim after leaving home and realising I’d forgotten mine and couldn’t go back. We were going to do Skeleton Ridge and I figured it would be irresponsible to turn up without one. So rushed into Decathlon between trains and bought one and it’s been my helmet ever since. It’s not posh, and it makes you look like a mushroom but quite frankly I don’t often have to look at myself and I don’t really care if other people get sore eyes from it. While I was there I bought some of their extremely cheap nylon slings - they were pretty great too... just old school bombproof slings which are soft and knot-able and really good for building a belay with.  

OP Graeme G 08 Jul 2020
In reply to beardy mike:

Thanks. Do they not look like every other modern helmet? I’m still using my ‘old school’ Petzl Ecrin, and fancied an upgrade.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/climbing/climbing-helmet/petzl-ecrin...

GrahamD 08 Jul 2020
In reply to tjin:

> Fit is rather personal. The only thing that helps with fit is to go to the store and fit it. 

This ^

If its comfortable,  it's good!

TobyA 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

Petzl did a little "in memoriam" on social media for the Ecrin Rocs a year or two ago - it was 10 years since they had last made one so they were all past their maximum life span. They were suggesting things to do with your old Ecrin Roc like plant flowers in it!  

My mate has one of the foam Simond helmets, has used it loads, it seems to work fine - weighs not much more than a Petzl equivalent and cost a quarter of that! What's not to like?

OP Graeme G 08 Jul 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Jeez, it must be significantly older than I remembered. Maybe I def should buy something new.

And that was my thought. I mean £20 vs minimum £50 to over £100. Just seems sensible, assuming it fits of course!!

beardy mike 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

The new peztl ones are quite a bit lower profile than these - they are definitely along the lines of the first Meteor generation than the current ones. But you certainly won't look more ridiculous in it than you do in an Ecrins.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...