Arcteryx customer service

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 k_os 04 Aug 2022

A section of my Alpha AR jacket delaminated and I contacted them about it, which they promptly responded to ask that I send it to them in Switzerland for review. They quickly reviewed the jacket and told me that they couldn't repair it and offered a discount on a new jacket (while they keep the old one) or return my jacket. 

I tried to query the outcome for a while, but gave up. All I want now is to have the jacket returned to me, but it's so far taken a number of weeks of asking by email, social media, their UK stores, tried their phoneline (no answer) and I still don't have any idea of when I might have a jacket back.

Does anyone have a contact for Arcteryx that might work?  

olddirtydoggy 04 Aug 2022
In reply to k_os:

Just out of curiosity, how old is the jacket and what kind of use has it had? Not wanting to start a pile of negativity towards you on here but I'm curious to hear how the product has performed. Best of luck getting it resolved.

OP k_os 04 Aug 2022
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

3 years old, used for a few weeks skiing this year, infrequent hill days and one Scottish winter trip. I tend to just use it in winter, but covid scrapped two of the three winters I've owned it.

I'm not even fighting the refusal to repair it at this stage, just want to try get it back before they turn it into a hipster handbag...

dominic o 04 Aug 2022
In reply to k_os:

I had a similarly disappointing experience of Arcteryx product not living up to expectations nor their warranty process recovering the situation. Seems out of keeping for such an expensive and self-proclaimed innovative brand. I've never bought anything else from them since. Good luck with your claim! 

Gemmazrobo 04 Aug 2022
In reply to k_os:

I asked if I could source a replacement stuff sack for one of my jackets, would have paid for it, and apparently the only the way this was possible was by sending (at cost) them the entire jacket.

matt1984 04 Aug 2022
In reply to k_os:

The customer service seems to be hit and miss. I had a new betaLT send back to Switzerland and retreated or something and it was fine after, all done really quickly, but then they also couldn't sell me or recommend me a new set of laces for some aerios mids.

OP k_os 10 Aug 2022
In reply to k_os:

Well, I finally managed to get my jacket back from them, 2 months after sending it to them and 3 weeks of asking for it back and it's in exactly the same condition as it left. 

I'm fairly certain they could have told me they wouldn't repair/warranty it when I sent photos to them to review, but who knows. 

Anyway, Patagonia has a really good repair service if you're thinking of getting a new jacket...

Philb1950 10 Aug 2022
In reply to k_os:

I had a pair of ski salopettes where the snow cuffs became unstuck and a jacket where the foam lined hem became unstuck. Arcteryx promptly repaired both items despite the salopettes being nearly 10 years old. They did advise that I should wash and reproof both items. 3 years later both items are still going strong.

crayefish 10 Aug 2022
In reply to k_os:

Another reason (aside from price!) to use high quality local manufacturers such as ME and Rab.

Babika 10 Aug 2022
In reply to crayefish:

> Another reason (aside from price!) to use high quality local manufacturers such as ME and Rab.

Very true.

I learnt the hard way by having an Arcteryx Alpha jacket start to wear badly after 4 trips out. It was replaced but the new one lasted a bit longer and had to go back to Switzerland where it was....washed. Despite them telling me I had to wash it professionally  before sending it back. Which I did. 

My current jacket is a RAB. I definitely won't be buying anymore Arcteryx

Godwin 10 Aug 2022
In reply to k_os:

Why did you contact Arcteryx and not the retailer you bought it from. I see this time and time again, people contacting the manufacturer, who they have no actual relationship with.

I very much doubt the people at the office you sent it to, would know how to turn on a sewing machine, let alone start repairing a jacket, a replacement or a discount was the only possible other outcome. Out of interest, how much of a discount did they offer you?

Reading this "Arc’teryx Products are designed for long life and durability, if care instructions are followed carefully. If your Product appears worn out, then it may be time to replace your product and we hope that Arc’teryx will be a part of your next buying decision. Practical Product Lifespan will be determined in the reasonable discretion of an authorized Arc’teryx Customer Service representative who shall take into account at least the following factors: the type and nature of the Product, the nature of the use of the Product, nature of the Product issue involved, and age of the Product. The Arc’teryx Customer Service representative may require consumer information in order to make the foregoing determination and may not be able to make a determination without such accurate information from the consumer"

here https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/help/product-service, I would deduce that I would not be buying Arcteryx.

OP k_os 10 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

They were the retailer as I bought it directly from them, so sent it to their European repair centre at their request, not just a random Arcteryx office. 

The discount was initially 20%, but increased to 40%, and in both cases they would keep the old jacket (which still works fine bar the delamination section). I was hoping for a repair, not to buy new. 

Godwin 10 Aug 2022
In reply to k_os:

It all hinges around the expected life of the Jacket then. From what you say they thought you had, had 80% of the life, therefore offered you 20%.
I would suggest 40% is a reasonable offer, for a 3 year old jacket, but I would expect a more generous offer after being asked to pay the premium prices Arcteryx charge . Modern High End Fabrics have many virtues, but I think a long expected life is not one of them. I wonder why they would not let you keep the faulty one, they must have a reason.
My Old Paramo Smock is looking a bit tatty, but the new ones just do not look as Bomb Proof. Maybe lighter and other things, but I doubt they will still be going in 5 years, never mind 15.

OP k_os 10 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

I think you've missed my intentions. I was hoping to repair something that I already own to prolong it's usable life, rather than buy something new.

Godwin 10 Aug 2022
In reply to k_os:

Good intentions, however Arctreyx products are made in Canada, Vietnam, Cambodia and elsewhere. Posting your Jacket to Switzerland, would never result in a repair, it would never be economic, for Arcteryx at Swiss wages, and I doubt they have any facilities there for repair in any case.  I could be wrong, often am, but that will just be an office suite, with a Nespresso machine in the corner. If repair was your intention, it was a total wasted effort, you would have been better to contact someone like Lancashire Sports Repair.

OP k_os 10 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

But Arcteryx aren't made in Lancashire, that would never result in a repair!

Post edited at 20:09
 wbo2 10 Aug 2022
In reply to k_os: Patagonia and Norrona products are both made in Vietnam, Cambodia etc. but I can assure that both of these companies will repair jackets, trousers, shorts in my case for , Norrona at least, a small charge. I think Patagonia are even better re. cost and what they'll fix.

I suspect Arcteryx in Switzerland will fix stuff, BUT , delaminating = wear and tear and they won't fix that.  Also, being in Switz means it's expensive, but then Norrona fix stuff in Norway, not known for low costs either

Godwin 10 Aug 2022
In reply to k_os:

> But Arcteryx aren't made in Lancashire, that would never result in a repair!

It may, but you would have to pay, and at the end of the day, its always about who pays

VictorM 11 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Many brands have repair centers on European soil. Patagonia is even able to repair a lot of stuff in their stores!

I think in cases of delamination it's really up to the discretion of the representative and it hinges on the size and nature of the damage. It might be just one spot that is starting to delaminate, but chances are that it will happen on other parts pretty quickly as well. 

Take into consideration the costs of taking it apart (especially if it's in an area such as the back of the neck or the hood), sewing a new piece in and then retaping the seams. This adds up. So it might be that the costs of repair just didn't match giving you a big discount on a new jacket. They could have explained this a bit better of course, and their responsiveness here is abysmal. 

Given that two years is the minimum legal warranty on consumer goods in Europe three years is a sucky age. Stuff often still feels brand new, but warranty often doesn't cover it anymore - unless the brand decides to do so out of policy.

I am in no way trying to justify Arc'teryx here, just trying to think about possible reasons for it. 

Godwin 11 Aug 2022
In reply to VictorM:

>

> Given that two years is the minimum legal warranty on consumer goods in Europe three years is a sucky age. Stuff often still feels brand new, but warranty often doesn't cover it anymore - unless the brand decides to do so out of policy.

Europe, EU and UK are very different.

At 3 years it hinges around fit for purpose and what it is reasonable to expect. Arcteryx, who have seen the Jacket have their opinion, and the OP who has seen the Jacket have theirs. As these differ, this is what Small Claims Court is for.

It could be the jacket looks pristine and Arcteryx are wrong, or the Jacket could look like a floor rag, and the OP is wrong. I have no idea ¯_(ツ)_/¯ 

In reply to Godwin:

> it would never be economic, for Arcteryx at Swiss wages, and I doubt they have any facilities there for repair in any case.  

Are you deliberately not reading the replies made to you?

"They were the retailer as I bought it directly from them, so sent it to their European repair centre at their request,"

In reply to k_os:

'Patagonia has a really good repair service'. I'll second that. Dropped a pair of simple guide pants (somewhere between 10 and 15 years old, much used, hole worn in backside)  in to their Manchester shop late June asked if they could do a repair. Received them back this week, really neat repair, involving opening seams to incorporate patch material, thoughtful cut of patch and reinforcing the other side to avoid the same happening there. No charge for repair or postage. That should give me another few years of one of my favourite bits of outdoor clothing. All greatly appreciated

In reply to Colin Scotchford:

Another thumbs up for Patagonia’s after sales service. I had an 11 year old and well used Patagonia waterproof that started to delaminate around the cuffs and neck so, being cheeky, I sent it back. They replied very promptly with a 50% off discount voucher which I view as a result. Also had a zip on a similarly well used fleece replaced for free a couple of years ago.

deepsoup 16 Aug 2022
In reply to k_os:

This just popped up elsewhere on here - another interesting contrast to the ultra-expensive Swiss brand:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/press/berghaus_champions_repairing_over_rep...

In reply to deepsoup:

Another example of excellent customer service, Cascade Designs. I had a thermarest, that was around 10-15 years old, that developed a large (12 inch diameter) blister between core and outer layer. Sent it off to them for recycling or replacement whichever they felt appropriate. Received a new one within 4 weeks, no questions asked. Really impressed. 

Jenny C 30 Aug 2022
In reply to k_os:

Historically Cascade Designs have always have always offered really good customer service under their lifetime quarantine. 

(Thermarest, Platypus, MSR, etc)

ianstevens 30 Aug 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Which Swiss brand are we talking about? This is about Arc'teryx, which last time I checked, were Canadian...

Dark-Cloud 30 Aug 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

Owned by Amer sports, presume they have lumped them in with their other brands EU service centre

deepsoup 30 Aug 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

> This is about Arc'teryx, which last time I checked, were Canadian...

So they are.  It's surprisingly difficult to tell from their website, I did try to check at the time but obviously made a mistake.  Thanks for the only mildly sarcastic, positively gracious by UKC standards, correction.

Gwinn512 30 Aug 2022
In reply to dominic o:

Same experience here recently. Have a 3 year old Alpha FL jacket, that's mostly stayed in a backpack as a bad weather backup, worn probably less than <20 days over my ownership. Started showing delamination on a sleeve.

After taking lots of pictures and providing a fairly extensive description, they still asked me to send it to Switzerland on my expense, with a 4 week turnaround for the assessment (not even repair).

Didn't go through with it since it was summer and I needed the jacket. Not the sort of service or quality I expected for the price tag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...