REVIEW: Arc'teryx Arakys Approach Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 30 Aug 2016
Arc'teryx Arakys montage, 3 kbArc'teryx's new Arakys is an ultra-light approach shoe with an interesting set of features. So how does UKC's Ellie Fuller get on with it?

Read more
 afx22 30 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Does anyone know anywhere in the Yorkshire area that stocks these?

I think I've tried all the local shops, plus those in the Lakes and Snowdonia... I'm keen to try some on. Thanks.
 Rob Morgan 30 Aug 2016

I have a pair of these. I'd agree that these are best used for short / easy walk-ins. As the review says, the best thing about them is that they are lightweight to take up multipitch routes.

For longer walk ins or a bit of scrambling I didn't find them stiff or comfy enough and recently decided to replace them (with a pair of Scarpa Crux).

I also found they do not give me confidence on the terrain I often encounter - shiny / soggy limestone in the South West. They seem to slip around loads on this, whereas the Scarpas I now have are far better.
 David Barlow 30 Aug 2016

I use Evolv Cruzer http://www.evolvsports.com/shop/approach-shoes/cruzer-slate/ for easy approaches to long alpine multi-pitch routes.
 teomalchio 30 Aug 2016

the spice must flow!
 Dr.S at work 30 Aug 2016
In reply to teomalchio:

Are they any good in sand?
 sidewinder 30 Aug 2016
In reply to afx22:

As far as I can see they are sold out ~everywhere. I wonder whether they will be re-stocked next year/season? If not this review is perhaps a little late.
 3leggeddog 30 Aug 2016

Hmm, only good for short walks and the main advantage is you can slip them on and off at the bottom of the crag.

Buy some flip flops and spend the £95 saved on a flight to the sun
In reply to teomalchio:

One of my favourite films
 bettypastie 31 Aug 2016
In reply to sidewinder:

Up and Under has some in stock in the blue that you could get online if you were desperate and couldn't find them locally...
http://www.upandunder.co.uk/Outdoor/Footwear/Approach-Shoes//P---Arakys-Men...
 1poundSOCKS 31 Aug 2016
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> One of my favourite films

One of my favourite books.
 Toerag 05 Sep 2016
In reply to teomalchio:

Interestingly it's spelt 'Arrakis' in Dune - I wonder if there is a copyright issue, or do Arcteryx like to put y's in things?
 DaveHK 05 Sep 2016

So to summarize then: They're not for proper climbing, they're crap on wet grass and mud, they give you sore feet after about 2hrs, they're hard to get your feet into and they cost a hundred quid.

I think 3leggeddog has the right idea.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...