Approach shoes - Replacement for Five Ten Camp 4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Slarti B 21 Jul 2022

I bought my Goretex Camp 4 approach shoes about 5 years ago and, after a bit of breaking in, have been very happy with them.  They are now staring to fall apart and it looks like they are no longer made. 

Can anyone suggest a good replacement, preferably with Goretex?  I have quite wide feet!

AlanLittle 21 Jul 2022
In reply to Slarti B:

I went from Camp 4's to Sportiva TX4's which fit my wide foot better. The Mid version has a goretex lining, which I personally see as a minus, but whatever.

jezb1 21 Jul 2022
In reply to AlanLittle:

The low model also has a Gore Tex version.

PaulJepson 22 Jul 2022
In reply to Slarti B:

You might be able to get them resoled if the uppers are alright still? Maybe fire a photo over to https://www.llanberisresoles.com/

MischaHY 22 Jul 2022
In reply to Slarti B:

TX4 is the one. Actually doesn't need GTX as it's water resistant enough and will be way more breathable as a result. 

Armadillo 22 Jul 2022
In reply to MischaHY:

> TX4 is the one. Actually doesn't need GTX as it's water resistant enough and will be way more breathable as a result. 

When my TX4s eventually wore out, I bought the TX5 Low (GoreTex lined).  Much prefer the TX4.  The TX5 is stiffer (presumably because of the lining) and comes up a bit tighter on sizing.  I'll be going back to the TX4 next time.

MischaHY 22 Jul 2022
In reply to Armadillo:

>  The TX5 is stiffer (presumably because of the lining)

Ah, no - the TX5 is generally designed to be a stiffer shoe. It's the far end of the TX approach series and mainly aimed at distance hiking with some capability on more technical terrain. For this reason it uses a stiffer sole and more robust upper materials which help to offer more foot support and maintain the lifetime of the shoe but do mean you lose on flexibility and general tactile feel. 

> comes up a bit tighter on sizing. 

This could be related to the GTX but unlikely as the membrane is very thin. Perhaps more likely is that the increased stiffness of the upper materials leads to a perceived increase in tightness due to the shoe conforming less to the shape of the foot. The extreme end of this is the need to always size up 0.5-1 full size compared to street when choosing big old school leather boots as these are the least conforming and therefore need more space inside to feel comfortable. Thank goodness for modern shoe designs!  

OP Slarti B 22 Jul 2022
In reply to Slarti B:

Thanks to everyone for the replies, very helpful and I will check out the suggestions.

AlanLittle 22 Jul 2022
In reply to MischaHY:

> The extreme end of this is the need to always size up 0.5-1 full size compared to street when choosing big old school leather boots

Good point. I think my TX4's are actually half a size up on my normal street shoe size.

CantClimbTom 22 Jul 2022
In reply to Slarti B:

I love my TX4 mid gtx, but... After buying my son a pair of karrimor Mount Mid I started looking at them and seeing how similar they are.  They're £39.99 in Sports direct. As a serious suggestion.. have you considered them?

Edit: if you haven't seen them (only seeing Karrimor and the price) don't downvote what you don't know 

Post edited at 19:34
 oldie 22 Jul 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Thanks I'll have a look at those.....one downside for me of Hi Tec, Karrimor etc is that equivalents are often heavier than more expensive brands. But as you say it's worth a look.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...