Approach shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goose299 05 Jul 2021

So my 12 year old Five Ten Tennies are well beat up and hurt my feet if I walk in them for too long so it’s probably time to get some new approachies

I hear 5.10 went downhill after Adidas took over them? So what’s the best shoe out there

To be used for family walks on fell and woodland trails and dossing round the tent at campsites. Ideally no more than £100 - is that a feasible amount? 

jezb1 05 Jul 2021
In reply to goose299:

A little more but the Lasportiva TX4s seem to be one of the most popular at the moment. I have the mid version and they’re ace.

https://www.outside.co.uk/climbing-gear/climbing-footwear/approach-shoes/la...

Prof. Outdoors 05 Jul 2021
In reply to goose299:

Why Approach shoes? You seem to be looking for more general shoes. For multi pitch mountain routes I walk in wearing Innov8 trainers. Great grip, super light and hard wearing.

At the climbing end of the spectrum I love my La Sportiva Boulder X approach shoes - for easier climbing especially. Bit heavy for clipping to a harness for multi-pitch.

For woodland walks and trails I wouldn't be looking for brand name approach shoes. Personally I would wear Innov8s as they are so comfortable. I steer clear of waterproof linings in shoes as they tend to be sweaty and not stay waterproof for too long. Option of Sealskinz socks can be used if waterproofing is required.

GoOutdoors, Decathlon and even Mountain Warehouse offer a range of cheaper approach shoes and are probably OK for less technical stuff. Comfort would determine my choice.

PaulJepson 05 Jul 2021
In reply to goose299:

I have the Scarpa Crux and Mojito and rate them as a general pair of knockaround cragging shoes (the latter being a bit more casual). 

I also have some Innov8 mudclaws which seem great for anything muddy & scrambly (only problem is they don't have a heel tag, so not as easy to clip to a harness). 

Sportiva Boulder X seem decent but are SO HEAVY. 

Pedro50 05 Jul 2021
In reply to goose299:

Surely Crocs for dossing round the tent.

kaiser 05 Jul 2021
In reply to goose299:

Current model 5-10 Guide tennies are the best they've made IMV - but don't sound right for your use case

maxsmith 05 Jul 2021
In reply to jezb1:

as above, TX4 seem hard to beat, they are like an improved version of the Boulder X (which seem very heavy in comparison)

Alkis 05 Jul 2021
In reply to maxsmith:

Well, depends on the use case. They don't climb as well as the BoulderX's but they are much better for walking in.

In reply to goose299:

I recently bought some 5.10 guides and I am very happy with them so far. They have had quite a tough ride since I got them and aren't showing any signs of weakness.

For what it is worth, I suspect quality and cool factor are being confused in the criticisms. 5.10 are so last decade honey. 

maxsmith 05 Jul 2021
In reply to Alkis:

...have to disagree with you there, for me the TX4 is pretty much the perfect approach shoe, boulder X feels clunky in comparison (particularly when climbing)

Alkis 05 Jul 2021
In reply to maxsmith:

The Boulder X is clunky but edges incredibly well, to the point where I've found it viable on slate all the way to upper 6's. The TX4 is more nimble but doesn't edge as well, as it's a more flexible shoe.

maxsmith 05 Jul 2021
In reply to Alkis:

I don't know man, I tend to wear approach shoes for scrambling and climbing shoes for climbing...but the OP wouldn't go wrong with either shoe, they'd both be great for what he's after.

LastBoyScout 05 Jul 2021
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

Had similar dilemma recently, as my Merrells are on their last legs (as it were!).

Wanted a pair of Boulder X, as really liked the design, but they were far too narrow for me and were returned.

Have a pair of Scarpa Moraine GTX instead. Fairly light, but annoyingly don't have a pull tab at the back for harness clip. They slightly pinch over my toes when walking, at least when I first put them on, but hoping that will sort itself out as they get worn - re-lacing them helped a bit.

Agree there are plenty on sale in Blacks, Go Outdoors (same company these days anyway, along with Millets and Ultimate Outdoors) and so on.

Alkis 05 Jul 2021
In reply to maxsmith:

Just to clarify, I'm not saying the Boulder X is a better shoe, just pointing out the differences. If I had another 120 quid to spare I'd buy a pair of TX4s for general scrambling etc.

Nick_Scots 12 Jul 2021
In reply to goose299:

adidas Terrex Swift Solo Trail Walking Shoes - sticky rubber and very light, designed as an approach shoe and for scrambling. They seem about half a size smaller than the other terrex trainers.

neuromancer 13 Jul 2021
In reply to goose299:

Why do you need approach shoes for dossing around a campsite or walking with the kids?

If it's wet, put some boots on. If it isn't, or frankly even if it is wet, put some trail running shoes on?

The only usage case I can really see for approach shoes is aid climbing or summer scrambling. Unless you absolutely need to signal to all of the other dads at the campsite that you're a Climber (TM). 

Post edited at 14:09
 Ridge 13 Jul 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I must admit, (even though I have a pair of Boulder Xs), approach shoes really belong in the US or the dolomites, they're not really much good for walking in typically soggy UK conditions.

Iamgregp 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Ridge:

Tell that to my Arc'teryx gore-tex approach shoes, only wellies keep my feet dryer.... Amazing grip too.

In reply to Iamgregp:

> Tell that to my Arc'teryx gore-tex approach shoes, only wellies keep my feet dryer.... Amazing grip too.

Same here for my LaSportiva goretex Ultra Raptors. Dry as a bone, and soloed up into the E grades in them. They’re my daily wear when it’s wet, and Bushidos when it’s dry.

TobyA 13 Jul 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

> If it's wet, put some boots on. If it isn't, or frankly even if it is wet, put some trail running shoes on?

So rather than one pair of shoes that can do it all you're suggesting they get a pair of walking boots (what 80 to 150 -ish quid?) and then a pair of trail runners (60 to 100 -ish quid?)?

Post edited at 17:46
 neuromancer 13 Jul 2021

No, I'm suggesting he use his normal running shoes, or even just a pair of flip-flops for bumming around a campsite rather than spending £160 on some la sportiva tx4's.

I literally said 'dont even bother with the boots'. But I get that part of your job is getting people to buy outdoor kit tho 

Post edited at 21:13
In reply to goose299:

TX4s are very good as others have said but if you are looking for a shoe more like your Tennies I would say the TX2s are a more 'like for like' replacement (I own both as well as some old Tennies that are nearly dead)

The New NickB 14 Jul 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

> I literally said 'dont even bother with the boots'. But I get that part of your job is getting people to buy outdoor kit tho 

I am pretty sure Toby's job doesn't involve getting people to buy outdoor kit.

galpinos 14 Jul 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

>  But I get that part of your job is getting people to buy outdoor kit tho 

I know teachers are overworked but if it's because they spend most of their time getting people to buy outdoor kit they doesn't seem a good use of neither time nor tax payers money.

TobyA 14 Jul 2021
In reply to galpinos:

Promise it's just a home-time hobby - double promise if my boss is reading this!!!

A long time ago when I worked in an outdoor shop in Glasgow, and later one in Leeds for a bit, my actual Saturday and holiday job was selling people outdoor kit. Reviewing kit is weird because in some ways I don't think you are really doing your job (well, hobby) properly if you don't give some people reasons NOT to buy that piece of gear.

Back to "approach shoes" - I do think that if you get a pair you like they can replace loads of different shoes as 'do everything shoes'. I sort of take neuromancer's point that you don't really need a pair if you have, say, a pair of wellies or walking boots and a pair of trail runners already - but lots of people won't. So if you buy some "approach shoes", you can use them for day walks, for walking to crags, for going off camping, for on your mountain bike if you have flat pedals etc. etc. And they don't need to cost 150 quid. My Decathlon ones were about 55 quid I think and I've had them maybe five years and used them loads.

neuromancer 14 Jul 2021
In reply to goose299:

To be fair - I did say 'part of your job' - and you are one of the more prolific reviewers of gear for ukclimbing.com! 

I dunno, I just have a thing against approach shoes.

Even though I have two pairs. Work bought me them. They just sit in my cupboard unloved and unused; because if I'm climbing I'll wear shoes (or boots in the Alps), and if I'm running I'll wear running shoes. If doing neither, I'll wear sandals or just... I know, outrageously - leather shoes. If I'm riding a bike, I'll wear my SPD's. 

The New NickB 14 Jul 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

I’m a bit of an Imelda Marcos, I’ve got dozens of pairs of shoes, 10 pairs of road running shoes, 6 pairs of fell or trail shoes, 3 pairs of XC spikes, 3 pairs of walking boots, 3 pairs of climbing shoes, 3 pairs of cycling shoes, 7 or 8 pairs of leather shoes or boots of various degrees of smartness, couple of pairs canvas pumps, sandals, flip flops and a few other things.

I have one pair of approach shoes, I spend 90% my times in them, it would be less if I was in the office more. Camping in the lakes last week, no climbing but lots of walking and a bit of gentle scrambling, they got worn for everything. I went for a run, so I wore running shoes then, but apart from that.

Iamgregp 14 Jul 2021
In reply to neuromancer:

But what do you wear on the approach to the crag when you're climbing?

I'd say my footwear breaks down like this:

Trainers - 95%

Approach shoes - 3%

Katanas - When climbing

Wellies - Glastonbury

Leather shoes - Weddings, Christenings, Funerals and Bar Mitzvah's

So I pretty much get by with 3 pairs of shoes and a pair of wellies.  Don't need anything else as I can do much serious walking on account of the faaaking knees....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...