Anything wrong with getting cheap cat 4 sunglasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonzza 14 Jun 2022

I'm heading to the alps this summer and need some cat 4 sunglasses.

There seems to be a massive variation in the price, and I'm on a budget. I'm reluctant to spend a lot of money on something that can easily be lost/sat on (I've never has a pair of regular sunglasses last me more than 2 years before reaching an unforunate end). On the other hand I don't want to damage my eyesight by cheaping out.

So I was wondering if anyone could tell me: as long as they meet the requried standards (ISO 12312 and UV 400) is there anything inherently wrong with getting the cheapest pair of cat 4 sunglasses I can find (and any tips were to buy them)?

(current cheapest I can find is this https://evolutionsunglasses.com/product/mistral-grey-category-4/)

Ciro 14 Jun 2022
In reply to jonzza:

The cheap ones will scratch more easily, but that shouldn't affect sun safety, just longevity.

Cat 4 means it blocks 92 to 97% of visible light, so some cat 4s will be darker than others, but they'll all be fine safety wise, as long as they provide decent coverage of your eyes.

Decathlon have a slightly cheaper pair than the one you linked (non polarised) as well as good value slightly more expensive polarised ones.

OP jonzza 14 Jun 2022
In reply to Ciro:

cheers

In reply to jonzza:

> I'm heading to the alps this summer and need some cat 4 sunglasses.

> There seems to be a massive variation in the price, and I'm on a budget. I'm reluctant to spend a lot of money on something that can easily be lost/sat on (I've never has a pair of regular sunglasses last me more than 2 years before reaching an unforunate end). On the other hand I don't want to damage my eyesight by cheaping out.

> So I was wondering if anyone could tell me: as long as they meet the requried standards (ISO 12312 and UV 400) is there anything inherently wrong with getting the cheapest pair of cat 4 sunglasses I can find (and any tips were to buy them)?

Not if you get up in the morning and the light is hurting your head. As an alternative, you could get the rhinestone shades!

jonesieboy 14 Jun 2022
In reply to jonzza:

Nothing wrong at all. I've often used Decathlon ones. I always break or lose them long before longevity becomes an issue!

In reply to jonzza:

Buy two cheap pairs instead of one expensive pair and carry them both. My partner dropped hers off a summit and we had to descend and recross a glacier with her practically blind.

Post edited at 00:38
 BruceM 15 Jun 2022
In reply to jonzza:

Cheap ones can break easily when you sit on them or stuff them in your pack.  Broken sunglasses up on the glacier for a day could be serious %&*.  (Or maybe easily patched up with medical kit tape.)

A pair of Bolles is about £75 on amazon and is made of polycarbonate so pretty tough.  I've worn them and crammed them in my pack for about 25 years.  Reliable.  I now have multiple pairs, but they last for zonks.

My cheaper glasses I use for MTB are fragile and I have to treat them very lightly.

gravy 15 Jun 2022
In reply to BruceM:

Bolle Spider Flash will do you.  Cheap (£10), durable, fits well covering the eyes from stray light.  To my mind look ok.  No need for fork out more.

BruceM 15 Jun 2022
In reply to gravy:

Hey cool.  Thanks.  Haven't seen them, but look ideal.

Lukasz Kisala 15 Jun 2022
In reply to jonzza:

A month back ago I got the cat 4 decathlon ones and been using them on a recent trip. They do scratch easily so be aware but overall I'm happy with them (cost me around £30). These are lightweight and wrap your eyes closely so sunrays ain't getting from the side (if that makes sense). I also like the fact these do not "pinch" my nose which a lot of others do.

Post edited at 14:19
OP jonzza 15 Jun 2022
In reply to jonzza:

Thanks for your input everyone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...