Am I missing something here?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rlocock 01 Nov 2019

I went to my local Go Outdoors to return some faulty boots. They would not give me a refund, only an exchange. When I got home I checked the price online and made a price match request.

The go out doors link sent me to JD Sports, who replied saying that if the goods were more expensive elsewhere they would not have asked for the extra money!

Does this mean that Go Outdoors are yet another company to come under the JD Sports umbrella, and price match is a thing of the past ?

Jockspotter 01 Nov 2019
In reply to rlocock:

I believe they are - They mention in the T&Cs of the price match that they don't match to the JD Sports group and I seem to remember I looked it up at the time and they were. (Same with Ultimate Outdoors I think)

TobyA 01 Nov 2019
In reply to rlocock:

For a number of years. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/28/jd-sports-buys-go-outdoors...

But what's your issue? You got the boots replaced. I'm confused from your post as to what the price has to do with it. Don't you have a new pair of boots now to replace the old faulty ones?

Ian W 01 Nov 2019
In reply to rlocock:

how long ago did you buy the original pair? 

Surely you would have price matched at that point.....if a few months have elapsed, all sorts of other factors affecting the pricing may have come into play.

OP rlocock 01 Nov 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I got a different (cheaper) pair of boots as I did not want to risk a repeat of the problem. I bought some overtrousers to make up the difference (and paid a bit extra). When I got home I saw that they are cheaper on another site and requested a cashback claim.

OP rlocock 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Ian W:

The boots were 8 months old. The issue is with the overtrousers I bought to make up the difference in price between the returned boots and the replacement pair, which were cheaper.

Dark-Cloud 01 Nov 2019
In reply to rlocock:

To be honest I’m not sure what you think you are missing ? You bought some trousers and found them cheaper somewhere else and want money back from somewhere, is that the idea ? 

Donotello 02 Nov 2019
In reply to rlocock:

All I got from this post was you didn’t know Go Outdoors was owned by JD. You thought it was some independent company? 

Timmd 02 Nov 2019
In reply to rlocock:

To get replacement boots after 8 months even if they're cheaper, and some waterproofs to make up the difference seems like a reasonable deal to me.

Post edited at 01:11
In reply to Timmd:

> To get replacement boots after 8 months 

Not if there was an inherent manufacturing fault.

Timmd 02 Nov 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

> > To get replacement boots after 8 months 

> Not if there was an inherent manufacturing fault.

That's a very fair point. Possibly I've had my expectations lowered by poor customer service! Have a like. 

Post edited at 13:36
 ianstevens 02 Nov 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

> > To get replacement boots after 8 months 

> Not if there was an inherent manufacturing fault.

Probably best to avoid half the garbage GO sell in that case

OP rlocock 03 Nov 2019
In reply to Donotello:

I was not aware of how many other companies are in the group. They offer a price match but not against others in the group, who are often cheaper.

OP rlocock 03 Nov 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Not quite. I bought the trousers and found them cheaper elsewhere. Go Outdoors offer a price match which is all I wanted them to honour.

TobyA 03 Nov 2019
In reply to rlocock:

> I bought the trousers and found them cheaper elsewhere. Go Outdoors offer a price match which is all I wanted them to honour.

Can you seriously buy something, take it home, find it being sold cheaper elsewhere, and then go back to the shop and ask them to give you some money back retrospectively!?!?

trouserburp 03 Nov 2019
In reply to rlocock:

I don't know why you're getting the dislikes. JD Sports are very brazenly not making any attempt to honour their statement 'if you find a product cheaper online or in another store within 7 days of your purchase, we will beat the price by 10%', which is a promise that factors into people's decision to shop there and not another, maybe more worthy, competitor (I imagine most people don't bother to look up their trousers elsewhere but it was still a factor) 

Report them to ASA 

pasbury 03 Nov 2019
In reply to rlocock:

Suck it up. Go Outdoors are already ‘almost’ pushing out loads of small proper retailers. The only reason they haven’t properly taken over is because their range is a bit pants and the staff are generally inexpert.

Post edited at 22:02
 TobyA 03 Nov 2019
In reply to trouserburp:

So you have 7 days to check the price? That seems quite fair actually.

But it looks like the first reply actually answered the OP's rather confusing question. The first reply says in the T&Cs that the price match can't be against other parts of the same group. I'm sure its not in big letters, but if it says it, it says it I suppose. You can't really say they are brazenly not honouring the offer, if its something specifically excluded in the offer's terms and conditions.

Ian W 03 Nov 2019
In reply to TobyA:

It does however seem a bit odd that they are selling the same product in two differently named stores in the same group at different prices.......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...