Altimeter/smart watch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 11 Apr 2019

So, I asked the UKC collective some time ago about what watch to buy to replace my Suunto Altimeter which died (it was a present for my significant birthday) So my beloved folks did the research and thought they would not go for the most complicated Garmin Fenix, but got me the Garmin Instinct instead. Lovely. Very nice of them!

However, to understand what this alleged less complicated watch does you still need a PhD. I have got one already, but not in Garmin watches. Has anyone got any top tips. The online manual is very difficult to understand...I just want to use the watch, the altimeter/barometer and see how much I have climbed etc. Is there any useful tutorial around?

Gadameer 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Heike:

This guy has a whole bunch of video tutorials on the instinct here...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3SdeibuuvF-ganJesKyDVQ/search?query=insti...

Martin W 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Heike:

If it's anything like the Forerunner 735XT that I bought recently, the manual is not really very helpful (having downloaded the manual for the Instinct: yes, it looks very similar in style i.e. densely written, neither structured so as to communicate the basic principles of the device well, nor particularly easy to use as a reference.)  The style of these manuals strikes me as being characteristic of user documentation written by someone who knows how the thing works and can't get themselves in to the head of someone starting with an effectively empty knowledge base, and minimal context within which to comprehend the words in front of them.  It's not helped, of course, by the fact that so much tech these days is supposed to be so easy and obvious to use that it doesn't need a manual.  Yeah, like heck.

I found that the best way to get the hang of my Forerunner was just to play with it for a while - even pressing buttons randomly to see what they do in different contexts or on different menus.  If you manage to mess up the settings you should be able to reset it back to the factory settings and start again:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/instinct/EN-GB/GUID-46551446-AAE7-4...

and if it hangs, just restart it:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/instinct/EN-GB/GUID-626CD309-6FCC-4...

Fairly obviously, you need to do this before you plan to use it in anger!

I surprised myself by managing to work out how to install an app from the Garmin store on to my Forerunner that gives me a 10-figure OS grid positional fix.  That felt good, having initially been disappointed to find that it didn't do it "out of the box".

Good luck!

OP Heike 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Gadameer:

Thank you, I will watch later!!

OP Heike 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Martin W:

Thanks, yeah, I have been pressing buttons randomly and have activated god knows what, like stop watches, timers, alarms, but  unfortunately not the ones that I want. I am sure I will get there in the end. At least these responses prove that I am not totally dim...

martin09 12 Apr 2019
In reply to Heike:

you will have to pay but GPStraining.co.uk -has online tutorials for most stuff.

mbh 12 Apr 2019
In reply to Martin W:

>I found that the best way to get the hang of my Forerunner was just to play with it for a while - even pressing buttons randomly

Don't know if this applies, but I tried that on a new mobile phone a few years ago and somehow got it into Turkish language mode. Getting out was tricky.

Martin W 12 Apr 2019
In reply to mbh:

Hence my reference to (a) factory reset, and (b) do this before you plan to use it in anger.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...