Alternatives to Garmin Connect?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xharlie 04 Jan 2022

Can anyone, here, point me to an alternative phone app. (to Garmin's abysmal "Connect") that can communicate with a Garmin GPSMAP device (via bluetooth, presumably) to transmit a .gpx track to it *without* requiring one to sign up for a wanna-be social network "in the cloud", invariably log in every single time one uses it and inevitably be required to agree to new terms-of-services and privacy policies and cookies and all that crap -- every single time?

Some time ago, I posted on these forums asking about the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr. I since bought the device and, having had it for a little over a year, now. The battery has exceeded expectations – it having been my original worry – but the software and Garmin’s “Connect” service are honestly abysmal -- so awful, in fact, that the device is basically an expensive brick.

Wish I hadn't bought Garmin.

At this point, my only hope of actually using the device without it costing me my sanity is that someone else has made a third-party app. that can communicate with it but I can't find one so I'm asking. Please tell me such a thing exists.

EDIT: I should point out that I known the USB cable works, from a PC, without requiring "Connect" but that's no good when one is away from their PC and receives a .gpx track via a message or from another app, like Bergfex, which is invariably the way I want it to work. Garmin's "Explore" app. (which requires "Connect" to talk to the device) *used* to work a little better (i.e., after fighting with "Connect" to pair with the device, one could use "Explore" and ignore the fact that "Connect" exists and must be installed and logged in to their stupid site) but even that doesn't seem to sync. properly, anymore.

Post edited at 15:37
 tony 04 Jan 2022
In reply to Xharlie:

> Can anyone, here, point me to an alternative phone app. (to Garmin's abysmal "Connect") that can communicate with a Garmin GPSMAP device (via bluetooth, presumably) to transmit a .gpx track to it *without* requiring one to sign up for a wanna-be social network "in the cloud", invariably log in every single time one uses it and inevitably be required to agree to new terms-of-services and privacy policies and cookies and all that crap -- every single time?

I can't help thinking you might be doing something wrong. I use the Garmin Connect app on a very regular basis, and while I'll grant you it's not the most seamless piece of software, I can connect automatically from my Garmin watch, I've never seen anything about social networks, and I can't remember ever having to agree to new terms of service.

Ridge 04 Jan 2022
In reply to tony:

> I can't help thinking you might be doing something wrong. I use the Garmin Connect app on a very regular basis, and while I'll grant you it's not the most seamless piece of software, I can connect automatically from my Garmin watch, I've never seen anything about social networks, and I can't remember ever having to agree to new terms of service.

Other than needing a Garmin account to log in, which I assume the OP has, I'm also unsure about the social networks thing. Connect is set up so you can use it in a similar way to Strava, where people can see your profile and activities etc, but I just have mine set to 'private' by default.

Likewise, no constant prompting for agreement to terms and cookies etc.

In reply to Xharlie:

Are you using an iPhone? If so there’s a simpler way to open a GPX file directly in the Garmin Connect app than the slightly convoluted way which Garmin suggest. 

Glyn Davidson 04 Jan 2022

I use a Garmin Watch (Fenix 5 Plus) and absolutely love it. It's kept me safe on the hills countless times. It's so incredibly useful being able to go out for a run in the mountains, in thick fog, and not have to stop to do any navigation. I just glance at the watch and instantly know if I'm off track or not.

I've never had any problems with the Connect App, albeit with a watch. I prefer to plan my routes using Strava, but this connects seamlessly with Garmin Connect. 

Plus you get all the other good stuff associated with a Smart Watch.

Glyn @ Climb Wales

https://climbwales.co.uk

StuDoig 04 Jan 2022
In reply to Xharlie:

Like the other posters above I've not had any great issues with Garmin Connect.  I've a instinct solar watch and a 66 series gps map and both link and integrate with no issues (even with a older smartphone).  I previously had a problem with being able to toggle off waypoint collections in explore but a recent software upgrade seemed to fix this.

As a couple of suggestions:

1) are there any firmware or software updates pending needed to your device (can check in either garmin basecamp or express)?

2) can you check the connection problem isn't with your phone (i.e. can it connect fine to other bluetooth devices).

3) Try the classic uninstall connect app, "forget" the device from your phone (and phone from device) and re-install and pair.

Whilst connect certainly isn't the best app, it seems functional enough with my devices, explore seems better for transferring GPX tracks or waypoints though.

No idea what's going on with the "social media" aspect - the app keeps me logged in unless I choose to log out and can't remember last time I was asked to re-agree to terms of service.  Have you setup your phone up to automatically log you out of websites / apps when not in use, never save passwords etc?  That might be the issue if so as you'd then need to sign in again each time you opened the app.  It sounds like a setting or permissions issue somewhere on the phone rather than with connect.

GrahamD 05 Jan 2022
In reply to StuDoig:

I'm another who hasn't any problems with Connect since I stopped using the 'features'.  Years ago the mapping was usable and you could set up ride groups to share routes with.  Sadly no longer really usable (map page became too cluttered) but Connect still 'invisibly' uploads to Strava and syncs to the watch.

kathrync 05 Jan 2022
In reply to Xharlie:

I'm another who has no particular problems with Connect. I would second the suggestions to try to debug your connection a bit, and possibly see if you can find a friend who uses it to have a look.

I use Connect with a multisport watch, a cycling computer and a handheld GPS. All of the devices connect seamlessly to the Connect app on my phone (Android version) when they are switched on. The only time I ever have to log in on the phone is if I clear the data for the app, and I can't remember ever having to accept new terms of service conditions or similar. The online version, of course, requires you to log in and accept cookies, but that's no worse than any other site. I've had no problems synching with Explore. As someone else said, if you don't want it to act like a social network site, just make your profile private.

The actual functionality of the app is good in some places and less good in others, but Connect will seamlessly pass gpx and other data to other synched apps if you don't want to use Connect itself. I don't use Strava, but it works well for me with TrainingPeaks - in fact after a run my data usually pops up on TrainingPeaks slightly before it appears on Connect.

Post edited at 12:44
 AGilmour 05 Jan 2022
In reply to Xharlie:

I managed to load .gpx on to my etrex 10 via my Android phone using a USB-C to full size USB adapter and then the normal USB cable. Just had to use the file manager to copy the file across to the correct folder as you would on a computer and this worked well. Haven't tried it with my Fenix as have had no issues with Connect but can't see why it wouldn't work with it, and probably other Garmin devices. 

mav 05 Jan 2022
In reply to Xharlie:

I'm struggling to be sure what the difficulty you are having, but years ago, I had an old garmin that had to hook up to my computer by cable, rather than via phone. I used an app called sportupload, or sportablet, or something, which used another route to get it via my phone. But this was two garmins and several phones ago, and I can't remember why it was needed or precisely what it was called. We are taking 2012-2015 roughly. I do remember it worked very well. 

JimR 05 Jan 2022
In reply to Xharlie:

I'm another with no issues with Connect. I've got it linked to Strava and it just works!

PPP 06 Jan 2022
In reply to Xharlie:

You could give a Garmin Explore a go, but it’s not a third party app and I’m not entirely sure what problems you’re encountering with connect. 

DaveHK 06 Jan 2022
In reply to Xharlie:

> Wish I hadn't bought Garmin.

If it's worse than Suunto's interface it must be truly shite although my impression is that it is generally better. I plan to move to Garmin when current Suunto watch dies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...