REVIEW: Alpkit Viso 2 Tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 19 Jan 2018
Victoria pegging out the Viso 2 at Clashtoll. It's hard to tell but the winds were high!, 3 kbThe Alpkit Viso 2 is ideal for 3-season car camping or travel. It's no lightweight, but if you're counting pounds more than grams, and value a bit of living space, it's a solid choice at a reasonable budget, says Martin McKenna.

Read more
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

That's a good review that obviously comes after a good deal of use; excellent stuff.

I have, inevitably, a minor gripe.  Could you - that is, UKC/H rather than Martin McKenna personally - make a practice of giving the length of the inner tent, please?  It's terrific that there's lots of headroom in this tent for the larger camper but at, I eventually discovered, 214 cm long inside it isn't any good for this 6'4" camper (I'm mixing metric and imperial units, I know; but the point still holds) who needs a minimum inner length of 220 cm and a little more if possible; and I'm sure there are plenty other tall folk out there who have this criterion as a limiter on their choice of tent.

Cheers chaps,

T.

In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Thanks for the feedback. That's a good point, something I'd never really thought about being 5 foot 8/9 ish! I'll get that added in though when I'm back down the road this weekend. 

BrendanO 21 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Interesting to read the point about leaving the inner attached to the outer and just packing/repitching like that - this seems a very common (and useful) tent feature to me, though it seemed a novelty to you Martin. However, I am a buyer of cheap tents (indeed, I often "find" them, abandoned at the end of music festivals; friends have received presents this way), as I generally don't backpack. For motorcycle camping for a few days/fortnight, the pitch-in-one shortcut is very handy indeed. And not having the stress of drunk bikers/HERAS fencing/vehicles/fireworks fall on your posh tent in the night is a relief - all these have happened.

However, at a climbers' wedding a year back, I was very envious of the lovely selection of tents surrounding my Tesco (really) 2-man...one day I will have something lovely, light and strong!

In reply to BrendanO:

> Interesting to read the point about leaving the inner attached to the outer and just packing/repitching like that - this seems a very common (and useful) tent feature to me, though it seemed a novelty to you Martin.

The reason being is I've typically used inner pitch first tents, I use TN Quasar Ultra as my mountain tent. These tents obviously don't offer that option, and when it comes to car camping it's nice just being able to fling up 1 thing and jump in.

In reply to Pursued by a bear: I've measured the inner this morning. It's 240cm long, 135cm wide at the door end and tapers to around 110cm at the opposite end. I guess that would be good for someone your height! I've popped that into the review. 

Post edited at 09:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...