Alpkit Koro Stove Leaking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sabbott 10 May 2021

I just found that my aging Alpkit Koro Stove is leaking from a crimped joint and when I asked Alpkit if they sold spare parts, I got the surprising response  "We don't offer replacement parts I'm afraid just for a safety issue"

Wondering if anyone else has had issue with these stoves leaking? I wonder if I would have got a different answer if I said I just wanted it in a different colour?

lboutside 10 May 2021
In reply to sabbott:

I'm assuming it's outside the 3 year Alpine Bond period? I swear I read somewhere a few years back about a Koro that leaked where the braided hose goes into the valve, when they got a replacement it happened again but this was admittedly a while ago. If it's within the 3 years Alpine Bond I'd just try and get a replacement

galpinos 10 May 2021
In reply to sabbott:

Yep, mine leaked. Got it replaced. Not had any issue since but it knocked my confidence in it and it rarely gets used.

OP sabbott 10 May 2021
In reply to sabbott:

Its definitely over 3 years old ( bought in 2014) and out of warranty, I accept that, it was just the surprisingly poor answer from Alpkit, that got me, "We don't offer replacement parts I'm afraid just for a safety issue"

Not that I was after a warranty repair, I actually asked to buy a new hose,  but surely a significant safety issue on a product that clearly has history of such issues should be honoured!!

Pedro50 10 May 2021
In reply to sabbott:

The construction of their key sentence is poor and ambiguous. Ask them to clarify what they are actually saying.

jbrom 10 May 2021
In reply to sabbott:

Mine leaked at the braided hose at the stove end, got it replaced no quibbles, but I think it was within three years old.

I have since had a leak at the canister end of the hose, but that is a threaded fitment which had come loose over time after being repeatedly rotated fitting gas canister. Fixed by tightening the valve housing back into the hose thread. Was slightly alarming when that caught though, looked like the whole top of the canister was on fire. The canister and stove got booted far away from the tent quick snap! For someone who was never good at football I was pleased my accuracy was spot on for that kick!

Post edited at 15:42
 PPP 10 May 2021
In reply to sabbott:

It’s probably because Chinese manufacturer Firemaple does not supply spares and they can’t do much. 

Might be worth looking for a replacement hose for Firemaple Blade 2? 
https://firemaplegear.com/products/blade-2-titanium-ultralight-backpacking-...

Never owned Koro so not quite sure if Blade 2 is exact model. The Brukit was appalling and got rid of it quickly. 

OP sabbott 10 May 2021
In reply to sabbott:

They're basically saying they don't hold spares for these and as its out of warranty won't replace it.  I looked for Fire maple spares but came up with nothing. The newer version has heatshrink over this joint (as does the Blade 2) so they've obviously not fixed the issue.

As a wise man once said to me, buy cheap buy twice....so the bin it is for it!!

I've also got one of the Brukits they re-called as they could leak, but missed the date so swap that so that can go in the bin as well......

Mal Grey 10 May 2021
In reply to sabbott:

I've had two go. First was well out of 3 years. Second was possibly still in, but I just binned it as I didn't want another. I did contact Alpkit.

gimmer 10 May 2021
In reply to sabbott:

Mine leaked where the braided tube joins the stove body - Alpkit gave me my money back as they were out of stock at the time. I bought it around 2013/14 and it lasted 2 years.

I bought another once they came back in stock as I like the design and the stability.  The design has improved as there is now a plastic sleeve swaged over the joint where it leaked so presumably this is a common problem.

PPP 10 May 2021
In reply to sabbott:

Sorry, but could someone explain me “missing the recall date” bit? Surely, defective goods don’t become safe to use again? 

I realise that it would be cheeky to keep using an item for a decade and then decide to return for a recall though… 

Removed User 10 May 2021
In reply to sabbott:

Try Fire Maple. In the shops in China they sell lots of parts for their stoves.

OP sabbott 11 May 2021
In reply to PPP:

They said if you had used it without issue, it would probably be fine but if you hadn't yet or if it leaked, then return it.

https://alpkit.com/blogs/news/brukit-safety-recall#:~:text=By%20Alpkit%2011....

I've used mine and haven't seen a leak. I meant I'd missed the notice when it first came out in late 2017. I could maybe look to swap it as well, but again its been a while.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...