PRODUCT NEWS: Alpkit Jeanius and Sequence Jeans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 03 Oct 2019
Alpkit Jeans Scrambling New jeans launched for all scenarios and with hidden superpowers in the Cordura® denim. Tougher, stretchier, warmer, and with better wicking than regular denim jeans.

Read more
 TobyA 03 Oct 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Ooh... nice. Hope they fit my fat thighs! They look great, but having tried Alpkit's nice looking canvas trousers by the time I could get a pair over my thighs the waist was way too big for me, so will have to get over to Hathersage Alpkit and try some on. Perhaps the more relaxed fit version of these will be a decent slim fit for me. 

People who had the original Alpkit waterproof jeans seemed to love them, so nice to see they are having another go and keeping the price reasonable.

ChrisBrooke 03 Oct 2019

Psyched to try these too. Need another pair of bouldering trousers. I also hope they go over my big thighs!

In reply to TobyA:

I'm afraid they didn't work on my legs - but they are pretty broad (all muscle of course)... hopefully they fit Rob better as he's taken them to Font 

HeMa 03 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> People who had the original Alpkit waterproof jeans seemed to love them, so nice to see they are having another go and keeping the price reasonable.

Yup, absolutely loved mine... and the weatherproof concept of the originals meant that I could go ice climbing in jeans after work... which was nice, albeit a tad Texan... Trump skis in Jeans .

nathan79 03 Oct 2019

The Jeanius lost my interest as soon as I saw "slim-fit". Tempted to give the Sequence model a go in the hope they're more thigh accommodating.

I regret not taking a chance on the original Jeanius back when slim-fit wasn't such a regular thing.

jon 03 Oct 2019
In reply to nathan79:

> The Jeanius lost my interest as soon as I saw "slim-fit". Tempted to give the Sequence model a go in the hope they're more thigh accommodating.

> I regret not taking a chance on the original Jeanius back when slim-fit wasn't such a regular thing.

Agreed. Maybe this is the moment/place to ask for non slim fit options.

TobyA 03 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

I want to know now whether threads about jeans attract people with big thighs who have limited luck in finding jeans that fit well and give them a chance to moan, or whether generally 'sports' jeans are all just made for people with skinny legs? I'd happily buy some of the Decathlon/Simond ones, except they are well too small over my thighs! 

HeMa 03 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

ABK jeans are not slim at all. Just FYI. 

jon 03 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I had a pair of Decathlon's original ones. They were a great fit for me but weren't very hard wearing and didn't last that long (I did wear them a lot though...) Now their latest ones are too slim. Why mend something if it's not broken?

TobyA 03 Oct 2019
In reply to HeMa:

Never heard of them. If I see any anywhere I'll give them a try.

HeMa 04 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I think I got mine from Bananafingers, but alas I don't think they have a physical shop anywhere...

axor 04 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

My thighs are average sized FYI.

Slarti B 04 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

Lets be brutally honest, I don't need a "non slim fit" option I need a "fat fit" option.  

galpinos 05 Oct 2019
In reply to HeMa:

I think their shop is in the Bloc climbing wall in Bristol. Always had good service from them. 

galpinos 05 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Original design were fine, the new ones not so much, though it’s my arse that seem to cause problems more than my thighs......

TobyA 12 Oct 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

So, as evidence that Alpkit's marketing strategy is successful, I went to the Hathersage shop today to try on some jeans. The Jeanius do indeed look very slim fit but the Sequence less so. I tried a pair of the Sequence in large first and although they were a nice 'normal' fit on my big thighs and bum, the waist was way too big. I was quite amazed that the medium were not too tight over my thighs and bum, and whilst the waist was a better fit, it was still slightly too big and I need a belt (Yay! It's official! Regular cycle commuting must be working and I'm not a fat b*stard!). They are for me a pretty slim fit, but that seems to be the fashion these days and they are amazingly stretchy anyway. So I bought a pair. They look like jeans but stretch like your favourite (!?) Ron Hills. Perfect.

The label claims the Cordura denim should last 4 times longer than normal denim, so if that turns out to be even close to true, I don't think I'll begrudge the slightly-higher-than-I-would-normally-pay-for-jeans price in a year or two. Plus, Alpkit being Alpkit, I got some cake at the till as well - who needs a discount to feel good when you get chocolate topped lemon drizzle cake instead?

GrahamD 12 Oct 2019

What is this obsession with jeans ? With all the advances in materials, why do  people keep going to 19th century navvy work trousers ? 

Mike-W-99 12 Oct 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

Because it’s not denim?

Robert Durran 12 Oct 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

> What is this obsession with jeans ? With all the advances in materials, why do  people keep going to 19th century navvy work trousers ?

Yes, bollocks, isn't it?
I explained it fully about half way down this thread:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/3rd_rock_mercury_jeans-677589

Dr.S at work 12 Oct 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

Hmm - a bit of your arse appears in your link- NSFW?

TobyA 13 Oct 2019
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> Hmm - a bit of your arse appears in your link- NSFW?

More alarming for me is that picture is now appearing in the little thumbnail snaps on the front page of Firefox that show the last four pages you visited. Not of all of Robert is visible but the rather well air-conditioned bum section of his climbing trousers disturbingly takes centre stage.

Dr.S at work 13 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, my eye was drawn to that and now I feel nauseated. If only he had been wearing Ron Hills.

MonkeyPuzzle 13 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

They're great. I have a normal waste, a massive arse and short legs (back ladies, back!) and the medium Sequence in short leg are actually perfect. Just wish they did a darker denim, but hey ho, I actually have jeans that fit!

jon 13 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> I tried a pair of the Sequence in large first and although they were a nice 'normal' fit on my big thighs and bum, the waist was way too big. I was quite amazed that the medium were not too tight over my thighs and bum, and whilst the waist was a better fit, it was still slightly too big and I need a belt 

I had exactly the same experience last w/e. Tried on L Sequence - far too big. Then M which was fine except the waist was too big and I don't like wearing a belt under a harness, but also I didn't like all the extra bits of sewing and that bizarre little pocket that builders have in their overalls for one of those 2m yellow folding rulers... Then tried Jeanius L and M and the legs were OK despite the slim fit label. But they'd sold out - after only three days - of M with short leg. 

TobyA 13 Oct 2019
In reply to jon:

> but also I didn't like all the extra bits of sewing and that bizarre little pocket that builders have in their overalls for one of those 2m yellow folding rulers...

That's the phone pocket Jon! I wore mine out to the cinema last night (first time I've been in a couple of year I think - saw Joker, very dark), phone - turned off of course - sat securely in that pocket through the film, comfortably out of the way unlike if it in the normal pockets.

Ramon Marin 15 Oct 2019

Jeans are great for climbing, not sure what you on about. You can buy some cheap stretchy ones that last ages for £20, or fancier ones at Decathlon for about 30 odd quid. Acryclic trousers are never nowhere near as warm and are expensive. the added advantage is that I wear jeans to work and when they are looking tired or trashed then they become my climbing trousers and stretch their life. Plus i like the are made of cotton and not petroleum products, nicer on your skin. What's not to like?

Post edited at 14:08
 Robert Durran 15 Oct 2019
In reply to Ramon Marin:

> Jeans are great for climbing, not sure what you on about.

I'm not sure if you looked at the thread I linked to. My scorn is for the sort of trousers advertised there and here which are not really jeans at all.

> You can buy some cheap stretchy ones that last ages for £20.

If those real jeans work for you, great.

TobyA 16 Oct 2019
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Where have you found stretchy jeans for 20 quid Ramon? Primark seems the most likely candidate and I admit I haven't actually been in Primark for 2 or 3 years, but I'd certainly go and have a look if that is your source!

I think it was you who recommended the ultralight downjackets from Muji originally on UKC, and when I found myself in London and going past a Muji shop, ended up buying one! You stand a real chance of becoming my fashion guru if you can point me towards 20 quid stretchy jeans.

Robert Durran 16 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> Where have you found stretchy jeans for 20 quid Ramon? 

I get stretchy jeans (though obviously not for climbing) from Asda for about £15 I think.

> You stand a real chance of becoming my fashion guru if you can point me towards 20 quid stretchy jeans.

Please can I now be your fashion guru now (If I'm not already).

TobyA 16 Oct 2019

> Please can I now be your fashion guru now (If I'm not already).

With the headband, absolutely. 

Not.

Robert Durran 16 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

steveriley 16 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I am currently trialling M&S stretchy jeans at £22 with the added bonus that I can pick up some of their Citra IPA at the same time.

Ramon Marin 16 Oct 2019
In reply to TobyA:

TKMaxx Toby, though I found £19.99 ones on sale at GAP last year, also Uniqlo web sales, most times you can find decent jeans for under £25

TobyA 16 Oct 2019
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Cheers, and I meant Uniqlo for the down jackets, not Muji. I'm getting my Japanese shops mixed up!

Unfortunately Uniqlo seems to still be basically a London thing. There's one in Manchester, otherwise it's all SE.

I suspect with my big thighs I've probably not even had a look at skinny (but stretchy) jean designs, figuring - probably correctly - that I'd look quite silly in them! But maybe I should investigate further.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...