All weather car camping tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kestrelspl 23 Apr 2019

I'm looking to fill a gap in camping equipment. I have a 2 person backpacking tent (Marmot Grid 2p) and a fair weather car camping tent (Wild Country Etesian). The backpacking tent is very cramped for use when weight isn't an issue hence buying the larger tent. However, an experience with 60 mph winds in the Ogwen valley demonstrated the Etesian wasn't really weather proof enough as it got blown nearly flat, bent a pole and got a ripped inner.

Does anyone have recommendations for a slightly more spacious car camping tent for 2 people that can still hold up to everything the UK hills in three seasons have to throw at it. I've seen things like the Wild Country Hoolie 3 ETC that look like that could be good so if anyone has used one it would be good to hear what you think.

Vigier 24 Apr 2019
In reply to kestrelspl:

Vango Equinox? ( if they still make them).

DDDD 27 Apr 2019
In reply to kestrelspl:

Have a look at Robens tents.

Robert Durran 27 Apr 2019
In reply to kestrelspl:

>  I've seen things like the Wild Country Hoolie 3 ETC that look like that could be good so if anyone has used one it would be good to hear what you think.

My school uses Hoolies for D of E. I have been impressed by their ability to survive strong winds.

SouthernSteve 27 Apr 2019
In reply to kestrelspl:

We have a Terra Nova Terra Firma which has served us well in all weathers and met my wife's demand that she should be able to almost stand up – we have had this for about 12 years. The current price makes my eyes water, but that type of height and design is good. We have a van these days and so it tends to be Southern Cross or the car although the big tent is nicer than the van in the hot.

John Kelly 27 Apr 2019
In reply to kestrelspl:

I just searched frame tent on eBay - they had some great old fashioned tents for about 50 quid

Retro, tough - steel and canvas, environmental (reused), Cabanon are a good make

Alternatively

Berghaus air beam are impressive

Post edited at 08:44
In reply to kestrelspl:

I've been really impressed with my decathlon popup one. They're fine in the wind; they just flatten then pop back up between gusts. Also loads of clever little design features that make life easy. And they're half the price of the comparables. The only downside is that they're an arse to carry, but I never camp more than 6ft from the car so not an issue.

hbeevers 27 Apr 2019
In reply to kestrelspl:

We've got a wild country hoolie 2 ETC that we use for car camping. When pitched well it's solid in wind and importantly the fly doesn't flap around disturbing sleep.

The fly goes nice and low too if you're expecting heavy rain or snow. It can also be tightened up after long spells of rain. This works both ways though, don't forget to raise the fly to avoid condensation.

They're good tents for the prices they can be had at. Got ours in a Black's sale for peanuts.

In reply to kestrelspl:

It's so old fashioned I'm surprised it's not become the height of fashion again, but have you thought about a Vango force ten? The weight wouldn't be an issue for car camping.

If that is a bit too old school, I have a Macpac Olympus I could be persuaded to part with.

T.

Robert Durran 27 Apr 2019
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> I've been really impressed with my decathlon popup one.

I have a friend with one of these who also raves about it!

DDDD 28 Apr 2019
In reply to kestrelspl:

My Robens is rated to 110kph wind staying upright. I bought it after being woken one night in N. Wales pinned to the floor by my Terra Nova not being up to the job.

monkey man 28 Apr 2019
In reply to hbeevers:

Second this, have  the 3 for more space with dog and comfortable yet survived some big storms well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...