Alien revolution cams, any user experience?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Hindley 06 May 2022

My beloved Totem Basics have died. Alien Revolutions look like a worthwhile replacement, very similar but with narrower heads. I can't see a UK based review - Has anyone any direct user experience?

C Witter 06 May 2022
In reply to Chris Hindley:

I have the green and the black. A previous generation (Evolution) got slated in the US, so no-one seems to look seriously at the Revolutions, which addressed the original issues in a redesign. I've used the green a lot and think it's cracking. Narrower heads than Basics and fairly good build quality - at least as good as some of the newer offerings. I have a z4 and it's not quite as great as it looks... got a little bent and disaggregated through minor use; a friend has the WC zeros and they have a really stiff action that makes them a bit of a pain; the DMM ones are reported to get bent out of shape very quickly and I've seen this on a friend's. Given they are also cheaper, I think the Revos would be a good shout.

John1458 06 May 2022
In reply to C Witter:

I second everything C Witter has said. I originally bought green, yellow and grey evolutions about 7 years ago and whilst purely in terms of being placed and not walking they were great, the build quality let the evolutions down.

The grey and green have now over been replaced by revolutions (the grey got replaced 6 years ago and the green 2 years ago) and I've also bought the red and blue revolutions in the last couple of years. 

I really like the revolutions, the build quality is good I think. I did buy a few of the dragonflies, though they're first bit of dmm kit I wasn't a fan of (felt like they had a smaller range in comparison and the stem felt overly flexible) and have since sold them. 

I can't comment on the WC or BD offerings in comparison to the revolutions I'm afraid.

I've got blue, black and yellow Aliens and really like them. Have also got Zeros friends and like them equally!

Small and lightweight. Can't say anymore really. They do work, it was scary! 🤣

OP Chris Hindley 07 May 2022
In reply to Euan McKendrick: Thanks for the advice guys, I’ll give them a go. 

timjones 07 May 2022

> My beloved Totem Basics have died. Alien Revolutions look like a worthwhile replacement, very similar but with narrower heads. I can't see a UK based review - Has anyone any direct user experience?

I have both totem basics and Alien Revolutions on my rack. They are pretty much indistinguishable in use, if anything the build quality and ease of handling on the revolutions feels slightly better.

tigra 07 May 2022

Think they are good. Agree with most of the other comments on the thread. 

Thought the build quality was good. Smallest one held a decent fall. Used as part of belays and the like quite confidence inspiring. Take a good beating when I was using them. 

I did find the smaller sizes stuck now and again and required fairly frequent lubrication to prevent this. May be use related though! Was using them quite a lot at one point on sea cliffs. This may of course have happened with any small microcam! 

I have all but the green one and think they’re great pieces of kit. Worth noting though that the axles and stems rusted up badly within a couple of days of being on Skye. This was before we’d even climbed any sea cliffs. 
Customer service from Fixe was excellent and all cams were replaced FOC. 

I now use a maintenance spray on them regularly and haven’t had the same issue since. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...