Aiders for a tall person

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr. Lee 14 Sep 2019

Planning a trip to Yosemite next year with the plan being to hopefully try the Nose. I've been onsighting up around 5:10c in the last year, and hoping I can bump that up to 5:10d with some actual training, abd therefore aiming to try and free a fair few pitches.

I've got nil proper aid experience though and I'm looking to buy a first set of aiders with which to practice with over the coming year. Looking to buy some aiders that will be suit a mixture of aid and free climbing, and also something that will function well for a tall person (6ft3, 191cm, size 12 feet). The Metolius 5 step etriers sound a good option from what I've read, but I don't know how my height affects practical use. Still sounds quite bulky but maybe more practical for my primary purpose compared to a ladder type aider? Any useful input very welcome, cheers.

alex_arthur 14 Sep 2019
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I find ladders with a spreader bar much easier to use and less prone to twisting etc. They aren't the lightest option but I think the increased usability is hugely worth it. It sound like you are probably going to be aiding a lot of the pitches so a pair that are comfy to stand in all day is what you are after. I've got the Yates ones and think they are great.  I don't think height will be an issue, though I'm only 5'8.  Practice as much as you can before the trip.  Chris Macnamaras book is a great place to start. 

Post edited at 16:03
 Takein 15 Sep 2019
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Hey, the fixed spreader bars Alex mentions are def easier to use and loads more comfortable but also heavier to carry. So a good rule is that if you're aiding more than freeing, consider the fixed spreader bar option. But if you're freeing more than you're aiding then the soft aiders are great and will save you weight.

Height shouldn't be an issue. You can buy four and five step aiders and if you went for shorter (eg four step) aiders then it would probs still be fine but would likely be quite a step up to get onto the bottom of the aider. So the 5-step option you've been looking at is a good bet.

Andy Kirkpatrick's website is a gold mine of advice and info on all things aid.

Offwidth 15 Sep 2019
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Buy this from Andy the 'king of aid advice'... loads of technical info and pros and cons for gear choices.

https://andy-kirkpatrick.com/shop/product/aid_basics

Post edited at 20:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...