Advice on Via Ferrata lanyard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jimnick 24 Jan 2020

Hi,

It’s that type of thread again; I’ve used the Black Diamond Easy Rider lanyard for previous via ferrata trips and need to update my equipment, can anyone recommend a good lanyard on the market?

I'm looking for something that will suit 3-4 days of moderate routes.

The Petzl Scorpio has had some good reviews and while the Easy Rider has been fine (with no falls) there’s been some limited recalls in 2018.

Any steers would be appreciated.

Jim

99ster 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Jimnick:

Had good experiences with Petzl Scorpio Vertigo - two separate week long trips to the Dolomites.  Would be happy to recommend. 

I upgraded the set by adding an additional Vertigo wire-lock karabiner to the short arm to simplify resting - they're expensive, but worth it IMHO.

And certainly felt much happier when encountering numerous people with deadly DIY sets made from rope off cuts, etc.  Including a British woman guiding a whole family of novices on a pretty serious route!

Post edited at 18:28
 JIMBO 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Jimnick:

I've enjoyed using the skylotec skysafe kits. The easy and large opening has been good especially on thicker cables we came across in Austria. Worth a look...

67hours 24 Jan 2020
In reply to 99ster:

I've used the Petzl Scorpio Vertigo on many via ferratas across Austria in the last two years (we call them klettersteig here!).

I bought it because it was cheap, and I'm happy using it, but it has two things annoying about it that mean I wouldn't recommend it:

1. The tape lanyard to larks-foot it to your harness is very short so you have to open the zip to get it through. This always makes removing it at the end of the day really irritating, as it needs a lot of wiggling to get it through properly.
  2. There is no pivot to rotate the two springy leashes, so as you move up a route, its easy to tie them around in a spiral against each other, which requires some resetting occasionally.

Nothing major, but I've seen friends using better sets.

TobyA 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Jimnick:

With the proviso that you understand all the possible issues even with the latest generation of VF kits, then I can say the Edelrid ones are simple, light and seem hard-wearing. We've now got three of them in my family, mainly bought because that's what Decathlon were offering, but after getting the first and liking it, it seemed sensible to get others the same so we all got used to the clips and used them properly. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/set-via-ferrata-pro-v-id_8398883.html

Post edited at 19:08
Deadeye 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Jimnick:

> It’s that type of thread again; I’ve used the Black Diamond Easy Rider lanyard for previous via ferrata trips and need to update my equipment, can anyone recommend a good lanyard on the market?

> I'm looking for something that will suit 3-4 days of moderate routes.

> The Petzl Scorpio has had some good reviews and while the Easy Rider has been fine (with no falls) there’s been some limited recalls in 2018.

Um, why change if it's taken no falls and you understand it?!  Is it *that* old?

OP Jimnick 25 Jan 2020
In reply to Deadeye: I wasn’t sure if they’d been recalled as part of a wider fault, or if it was a specific incident.

OP Jimnick 25 Jan 2020
In reply to 67hours:

That’s great, thanks for that it’s good to get some specific thoughts on the kit.

beardy mike 25 Jan 2020
In reply to Jimnick:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2016/black-diamond-recalls-via-ferrata-climbin...

Here is the recall notice. If it's not part of this recall then It should be fine?

In reply to Jimnick:

Go into a shop and feel which VF carabiners feel best in your hand, they massively vary. No point having good reviews if it doesn't suit you. 

Baz P 28 Jan 2020
In reply to Jimnick:

I’ve used the Petzl Scorpio Virtigo for about 8 years now and my partner has the new version with a smaller zip case. Unlike someone above, we don’t have any trouble larksfooting them to the harness. We mainly do the harder sport type ferrata and the best bit of kit I’ve added to it is the Petzl Connect. This gives adjustable rests when changing awkward cables, changing to zip lines or just taking photos. 

Cornish boy 28 Jan 2020
In reply to Jimnick:

Good advice from purplemonkeyelephant. I ordered the Edelrid lanyard from Cotswold as it looked good on the computer screen and got a decent review but when I physically held it I wasn’t massively impressed. Ended up going for the Petzl Scorpio Eashook which felt better in my hand, had a larger gate on the krabs and operated more easily and smoothly. It also has a swivel anti-twist system (like on a spinner leash) and a short arm for resting. Used it several times in the Alps last summer and thought it was excellent. EMS did the best deal on them at the time. Hope that helps. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...