8.5-9mm rope of the reel - where?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 20 Apr 2021

I've been using an old 60m cut in half for grit for the past few years and have been loving the short ropes - however, my wife pointed out recently that the rope was knackered before I cut it half and I should probably retire it.  I recked for grit I can go shorter still and 25m would do nicely, but no one sells ropes this long so it would need to be off the reel. I've checked out my usual cadre of specialized shops and can find few options normalish half ropes off the real (apart from V12 who seel an ok looking Beal one), the few others seem to be very specialized alpine mountainering ones - i.e. Eldered's aramid thingy.  

can anyone recommend where I may be able to purchase such an item?

cheers

PaulJepson 20 Apr 2021
In reply to ebdon:

Why can't you just buy a single 50m or 60m rope and double it again? It's nice to have different colours but I've never noticed a problem on short routes. There are also bi-colour and bi-pattern ropes (where the colour or pattern change at the middle point) if this is a big problem. 

OP ebdon 20 Apr 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

I could indeed do that - and it may come to it, but I'd rather someone cut it with a prober hot knife, rather than me butcher it with a blowtorch and old butter knife, and also ideally I'd like different colors as in extrimeis I have been known to panic and grab the wrong rope and gotton into a tangle.

hmm  - now although I think about it a new 50 cut in half (by me) would only have two crap ends as it would only need 1 cut  - whereas one off the reel would need 4 (although cut much better by the shop)

Cobra_Head 20 Apr 2021
In reply to ebdon:

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=Edelrid+Swift+Protect+Pro+Dry+8.9mm+(per+metre)

Rock and Run!

4 seconds to type this in "9mm 25m Climbing rope" and get results.

Post edited at 14:56
OP ebdon 20 Apr 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

My first port of call (I have a R&R problem and should probably be taken off their mailing list for my own good) - however, it sounds like a very specialized rope - not something for basic cragging, it doesn't sound very stretchy, not great for my tendency to fall off on crap gear and the closeness of the ground on grit...

PaulJepson 20 Apr 2021
In reply to ebdon:

You also don't necessarily have to cut it. Lots of people use a doubled up rope. For grit I often take a work-horse 60m sport rope (which a big sheath % for durability). Most routes are fine on a single rope and for those that aren't, I double it up. Second can tie into the middle of the rope by various methods (I like the fig-8 on a bite with a locker but some people girth-hitch themselves into it). 

OP ebdon 20 Apr 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

I used to do exactly this  - but am a lazy sod and very much appreciate the ease of having two ropes for coiling, trying in etc... and I'm not sure I can go back.  

In reply to ebdon:

I used to have two 25m ropes for Grit that have since been chopped up for tat.

If anything they were a little short, which made building belays tricksome, and I would get 30s if buying again. 

lithos 21 Apr 2021
In reply to ebdon:

or  find a friend and get pair of 60ms and cut them (you should be able to do an ok job if you tape the end then cut and seal it)  and have 2 sets, one for each. Quite a few people in our club did this.  Plus you can get quite good deals as it doesn't need to be a light, thin, dry treated fancy rope for grit cragging

In reply to ebdon:

> I could indeed do that - and it may come to it, but I'd rather someone cut it with a prober hot knife, rather than me butcher it with a blowtorch and old butter knife, 

I'm not sure what your concern is here? It's not too hard to get a reasonably clean and sealed cut with a hot sharp knife. Worked fine for me when I bought a 60 meter 10mm wall rope and chopped it in two. As long as it doesn't fray there should be no issue, the last couple of inches of the rope aren't safety critical.

CantClimbTom 22 Apr 2021
In reply to ebdon:

In reply to ebdon:

This is 10mm not 9mm won't it do the job?

https://www.dicksclimbing.com/collections/rope-per-metre/products/beal-102m...

Actually I prefer cutting a rope by knife (tape over that section first) then melting end with a lighter as I shrink on a tag (rope type, date, length) and I can choose to make the end slightly a blob if I want to, which helps keep the tags from sliding off.

Also you can get rope centre marker (from Dick's) if you like that on your ropes.

Luke01 22 Apr 2021
In reply to ebdon:

As someone mentioned above, I also used to use 25m ropes on grit and quite often found them too short.

I don't get your misgivings about cutting a rope. What are you expecting the shop staff to do differently? A hot-knife is a hot knife. Rocket surgery it ain't. 

OP ebdon 22 Apr 2021
In reply to ebdon:

Thanks all, V12 have done me proud, I  appreciate cutting rope isnt rocket science, I've cut enough in my time but I suspect theres a reason an industrial hot knife costs £200 and it didn't cost much more than a 60m chopped by me. This also has the advantage my wife wont go nuts that I've ruined another knife with molten nylon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...