4 Season tent choice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stayfreejc 12 Jun 2020

I have always made do with lower end tents and currently have a Wild Country Zephros 1  as my main all round tent. I’ve decided to finally bite the bullet and just buy one good tent that will last. I want a 4 season tent as I am not a fair weather camper but am struggling to find anything suitable. I’d like a free standing tent if possible. I’ve been drawn to the Terra Nova Southern Cross one but have heard it’s very cramped. I’m sure it’s the same size as a Laser Comp which I can live with. Has anybody got any experience with these tents? I’ve also been looking at the Hilleberg Atko. Does this tent have more room than the laser comp style tents? I know it’s not freestanding but if it’s really that good then I can look past that. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers 

SouthernSteve 12 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

I have the southern cross 2. It is very stable but you are right, it is small and I would not choose it with a big friend although works well with wife. 

The best winter tent I had was a Phoenix Phortress, but that is archaic now. You could squeeze in three if desperate and that space meant for clean organised camping. 

Andypeak 12 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

The one I've always lusted after is the Tarptent Scarp 1. It's a bit like a Hilleberg Atko but  it has 2 optional crossing poles which make it free standing for when conditions require. It's an American brand but pretty much designed for Scottish conditions. 

Scott K 12 Jun 2020
In reply to Andypeak:

A scarp sold on ebay last week for a decent price (compared to importing). I have one and can't fault it. Great quality and tons of space. Easy to get dressed and pack your gear away while inside if the weather is bad. With the crossing poles on it is freestanding but that takes the weight up by about 300g.

Phil1919 12 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

4 season camping is pretty extreme. Do you really mean 3 season? 

jezzah 12 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

Having camped in some pretty wild conditions all through the year all around the world over the past 30 or so years here are my top bomb proof tents that mean you are likely to be packing up your sleeping bag in the dry and able to head out for the day rather than driving to the nearest cafe wondering what your next replacement tent is going to be:

1 person: Hilleberg Atko. 

Loads of room (I am 6'1 and can get all of me and my expedition kit inside) with space for 2 if you squash together). Has loads of ventilation options to reduce moisture/ condensation buildup

Downside: None, well I suppose it's a few grams heavier than single tents like the TN Laser

2 person: Terra Nova Super Quasar

I have a standard Quasar and also the ETC Quasar but in my view the Super Quasar works best. It's got a slightly higher head room in the middle and you can guy the flysheet out if necessary.

Downside: Porch is still quite small so taking off your waterproofs without bringing water inside the tent is tricky. Also you pitch the inner first so if it's raining hard you can get quite a bit of a soggy tent even before you have got in.

Free standing 2 person

Hilleberg Allak

This free standing tent is so good, comfy, roomy and you pitch the inner and outer simultaneously. 3 identical pole lengths that fit into colour coded slots. The door opening both sides is really nice if you need to get out without climbing over your tent partner.

Downside: Cost, it's a bit pricey. Also the fiddly way the material above the fly sheet (outer fly) attaches for the first time can be a bit baffling. 

Cheers

Jeremy

Siward 12 Jun 2020
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> The best winter tent I had was a Phoenix Phortress, but that is archaic now. You could squeeze in three if desperate and that space meant for clean organised camping. 

Still use mine! Is there anything as good on the market these days? (No)

Mind you, it's about 5.00kg

OP stayfreejc 12 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

Thanks for the replies. I am leaning towards the Akto. I’ve heard nothing but positive things. The only thing that put me off was the fact it’s not free standing, but that’s not a deal breaker. Plus it’s a sensible weight. 

cb294 12 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

Have you considered the Hilleberg Soulo? Would be my choice for a one person tent, as it is free standing. It is a bit heavier, though, not much difference to my Fjällräven 2P tunnel.

My current dream tent, though, is the Big Agnes fly creek carbon: 2persons , 3 seasons, Carbon poles and Dyneema fly, weight around 600g.

Since I won't be hiking up North this summer anyway, that dream must wait....

CB

Siward 12 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

Someone mentioned Fjallraven tents here the other day- there is the Hilleberg-esque Abisko Lite:

https://tinyurl.com/y84hxtt9

Or the larger Abisjo View 2: https://tinyurl.com/ycfz4urm or Abisko Lite 2 https://tinyurl.com/ydglnon8

I'm tempted myself actually...

In reply to cb294:

Yes, I did consider it, but the price and weight put me off. It looks a great tent but nearly £800 for a tent is a bit much for me. 

In reply to Siward:

I’m very tempted by the Fjällräven. It’s pretty much an Atko with lighter material and costs less. 

JStearn 12 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

Where are you going to use it? Scotland in winter or further afield? Can't go wrong with Hilleberg for quality but they are heavy and bulky. If I was going solo in Scotland I would consider the Soulo over the Akto/Abisko/Laser Comp style. My climbing partner has had his laser comp pole destroyed in wind and tent collapsed. Even my Hilleberg Jannu has had a pole snapped camping near Ben Nevis (stayed standing though as it is a 3 pole design like the Soulo). The Soulos pop up on ebay now and then, although not as frequently as Aktos. If you won't be camping in snow/serious winter weather, I would recommend to look at a UL mid. I use one now for everything except high altitude and snow camps and have sat out some seriously gnarly weather in it, and it's much lighter than a double wall tent. My point is, if the weather will be extreme enough, I'd probably go for strength in the Soulo, and if not, you will get as much shelter at a fraction of the weight from a UL shelter.

In reply to JStearn:

I mainly camp in the Peak District, but do occasionally make my way up to Scotland. I have got a very strong free standing wild country 4 season tent but it’s old and heavy so only use this if I am not back packing. As much as I am tempted by the Soulo the price is to high. If one were to come up on eBay I would be seriously tempted.  Most of my kit is UL and have been tempted in the past to just get a UL tent, but I’d rather carry a bit more weight and have the security of not worrying about the weather. 

In reply to stayfreejc:

The Terra Nova Southern Cross on paper looks perfect. £400, 1.6kg, 4 season and free standing. I’m just a bit reluctant as I have not spoken to anybody with first hand experience with them in bad weather. 

Post edited at 13:48
cb294 12 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

I have the Abisko Light 2, a tunnel a bit lighter and smaller than the Hilleberg Nallo, and am very happy with it.

I need to stop thinking about tents, as I am nearing S-1....

CB

Run_Ross_Run 12 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

I had an akto and my recommendation would be to avoid it all costs. I'm only 5ft 10 and head and feet were always touching the inner so a wet footbox on the sleeping bag was the norm each morning. Ventilation was really poor even with the vents fully open. Used it for about 10 nights in total then sold it.

Quality is superb tho. But I can't rate it I'm afraid. 

Currently looking at a soulo but need to see one in the flesh to see if it's as cramped inside as the akto. 

Post edited at 14:16
 jethro kiernan 12 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

Have a look at MSR Access 1-2, I’ve got one and although I’ve not had it out in properly unpleasant weather it has had a few blustery winters Nights out and it was pretty robust, the Hilleberg soulo was a little expensive for my taste but is probably more robust, I managed to pick up the MSR on sale.

TMM 12 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

https://www.tarptent.com/product/scarp-1/

Have you looked at these? Can be made freestanding and very strong/snow shedding with the optional crossing poles.

I like the Akto but I am just over 6ft and I like to be able to sit up and there's not enough height for me. Beautifully made but expensive given the weight. Cost offset in the re-sell if you decide to part company.

The Tarptent products are very nicely made and well thought out. No hesitation recommending the Scarp as an Akto alternative.

OP stayfreejc 14 Jun 2020
In reply to TMM: That looks interesting. I’ve heard about them but never researched them. I’ll take a look.

cb294 14 Jun 2020
In reply to TMM:

The additional crossing poles look genius!

CB

ballsac 14 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

a big shout out to the Alpkit Kangri - 2 person (with room for all the winter stuff, and not too bad if two people end up sitting inside it for a day) - utterly bombproof, very well designed, and - having previously owned a TN Quasar for a decade - better than a TN Quasar, both for living in (taller, bigger vestibules, and more pockets) and for standing up to the weather.

not light, but nothing able to cope with Scottish winter conditons is going to be...

David Myatt 14 Jun 2020
In reply to Siward:

Yes, we stll use our Phortress for winter car camping, but have Hilleberg Nallo for two person backpacking. Have just ordered a Macpac sololight one person tent from RnR for £215 to relace a Saunders tent from ‘76. Good review by Toby on UKC, and at an excellent price.

David

Jamie Hageman 14 Jun 2020
In reply to David Myatt:

Me too!!  Love the yellow fly, and can't wait to get out with it.  Not really a winter tent though - that mesh would be draughty.  For winter I love my RAB Summit Extreme, though it might not be for everyone.

Mark Haward 14 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

Another vote for the Kangri.

SouthernSteve 14 Jun 2020
In reply to David Myatt:

Can't believe that two of you are still using a Phortress. Mine was so pale and thin despite lots of love it had to go about 15 years ago. It was the early 80's version just after Phoenix parted company with Ultimate, originally a mucky brown colour and for me at the time was so..... expensive. My wife's original Tadpole is still intact, but really it hasn't had that much use despite being very old. 

The only thing I do not miss is the flapping valance which on a summers night would sometimes sound like something was trying to get in. I carried that tent around for 2 or 3 of us quite regularly - just can't imagine that now.

trollman 14 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

I had an Atko, great tent, but for me was too cramped for the long winter night camps when you have much more kit, so sold it and brought the Allak, luxury camping for one and cosy for two but as mentioned, has  two doors and porches so makes it work, you do have to put in some overtime to buy one these days...

Post edited at 20:32
 Welsh Kate 14 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

The Scarp's a great tent. Have to say I haven't used mine with the cross poles, though I've got them. It's just I don't tent to go out in extreme enough conditions to warrant using them. I love the design of the Scarp - with its two porches it's really versatile with plenty of room.

SFM 15 Jun 2020
In reply to cb294:

> My current dream tent, though, is the Big Agnes fly creek carbon: 2persons , 3 seasons, Carbon poles and Dyneema fly, weight around 600g.

Worth bearing in mind how much mesh on the inner BA use on lighter tents. I have a standard Fly Creek with around 50/50 fabric/mesh on the inner and it’s noticeably airy in any wind. Only used mine in Scottish summer but in colder conditions I can’t imagine it would be the cosiest of tents. 

cb294 15 Jun 2020
In reply to SFM:

Good point!

CB

TobyA 15 Jun 2020
In reply to David Myatt:

I have kept using that tent quite a lot since the review, it's little but a good one, and stood up well even to pretty high winds and driving rain. Annoyingly I noticed that I've managed to bend one of the female ends of 1 pole section, not broken but just so it's flared. I put some tape around it to protect the pole sleeve, but will try and find out if I can buy one replacement pole section from macpac. I don't think it happened once the tent was up,  but almost certainly by me flicking the poles together carelessly in a rush to get it up in poor weather! I've not managed to do that before in at least 30 years of putting up small backpacking tents, most of which had aluminium poles. But the poles that came with my macpac, are noticeably lighter and narrower diameter than most of the other pole sets that I've used with other tents in recent years. so just something to keep in mind when putting it up in the dark in the rain!

leon 1 15 Jun 2020

In reply to: Theres an Allak on Gumtree at the moment for £650 but it is in Cardiff Theres also an Atko in Bicester @ £450

(Note- those tents have nothing to do with me)

Post edited at 10:18
 Siward 15 Jun 2020
In reply to SouthernSteve:

The Phortress only comes out for proper winter camps and so has remained in remarkably good nick. I have this quote from Chris Townsend which sums it up well:

“I reckon the strongest tent of the many I’ve used – several hundred at least! – is the Phoenix Phortress … It’s the only tent I’ve used where I’ve woken in the morning, thought it was a calm day and had my head practically blown off when I stuck it out of the door.”

Now, has anyone got a mythical Phoenix Phearless? 

OP stayfreejc 15 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

Thanks for all of the replies. I’ve narrowed it down to either the Fjällräven Abisko Lite 1 which is on offer for £400 or the Atko which is £578 at the moment. A massive part of me wants to get the Akto just because it’s Hilleberg, but the Abisko is the same weight, same quality (from what I’ve read), packs smaller and has a bit more more head room. It’s also has the option to unzip the door so it’s full mesh which would be much better in the summer whereas the Atko only has a small flap. As I’m looking to use it in all seasons that appeals to me. I can imagine the Atko gets pretty stuffy in the summer? 

cb294 15 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

> .... but the Abisko is the same weight, same quality (from what I’ve read), ....

The Fjällräven tents are good but not as good as the Hilleberg equivalents. We have tents made by both companies, and the higher price of the Hillebergs is reflected in their more robust build, especially zips, tie ins, and other small details. Much of the weight advantage also comes from the more robust floor and fly sheet.

One thing where I actually prefer the Fjällräven is the stuff sack with its integrated compression straps and tie ins for carrying it outside the rucksack.

CB

EdS 15 Jun 2020
In reply to Siward:

> Still use mine! Is there anything as good on the market these days? (No)

> Mind you, it's about 5.00kg

Still use my Phreak - 30 years old and still going strong

mauraman 15 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

I have bought the Terra nova Southern cross 1. It works well for me. Small, light, easy and quickto pitch. I am small so I don't feel that is restricting me. Used on a three days walk in Exmoor, on the wake of storm Dennis (the day after) it rained most of the time and the terrain was boggy and saturated. not a pleasant walking experience but at night I was warm and dry. The tent did the job well

In reply to mauraman:

That’s good to know. It was on offer for £400 but has now sold out other wise I’d still be tempted. Thanks 

In reply to stayfreejc:

Just a question for you Atko owners. Does the tent get too warm in the Summer? The only thing putting me off is the fact that only a quarter of the door can be opened whilst still having the mesh. I can imagine it would be a pain in Scottish midge season as you can’t really leave the door open without getting eaten alive so would end up quite enclosed.

OP stayfreejc 17 Jun 2020
In reply to stayfreejc:

Well I ordered the Fjallraven Abisko one Lite. Hopefully it’s the right decision and hopefully I won’t find out it was a mistake on the Cairngorm plateau. 😂

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...