UKH

3F UL Gear Lanshan 1 tents - anyone got one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

There seems to be lots of people discussing really lightweight camping gear on here now, so I was wondering if any UKCers have coughed up a 100 quid or so for a Lanshan 1 tent?

There are lots of reviews on Youtube which generally seem pretty positive, and if it works decently at about 100 quid it seems very good value. I want a really light tent for bikepacking. On overnight trips where I'm going to camp wild I'm generally happy with my tarp, but if I was going for a few days and maybe camping sometimes on actual campsites, I think I'd prefer the privacy of a tent. Also a tarp needs a mossie net as well for use when insects are an issue, and at least the net I have works fine, but takes away quite a few of the advantages of a tarp such as space. 

Obviously I'll need to get a pole for it as well if I'm using it bikepacking, but if they weigh 930 grams including everything and I add a pole, it will probably be about a kg - and that's 300 grams less than my current light one man tent. I know there are lighter tents available but not at that sort of price. 

So does anyone have any experiences with them? If nothing else it would be interesting to hear how long people have found they take to arrive coming from China.

Thanks all.

In reply to TobyA:

I haven't got one but I've been thinking about it so I'm also interested to hear what owners think of them. Ironically what's put me off so far is how cheap it is, coupled with a lack of solid info on their website about the conditions of their workers. If you buy from big gear manufacturers with ethical supply chain policies you've got at least some reassurance that slave labour wasn't involved but the same can't be said for many of the Chinese based gear manufacturers. If anyone has any info about audits etc carried out I'd appreciate it.

Cameron_S 06 Mar 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Not exactly the same but I've had the Lanshan 2 for a couple of years now, approx 100 nights and I've been pleased with it for 3 season use. You can tell its not quite as high quality as some of the more main stream brands (my bug netting developed a hole), but for the price I think 3F make good kit.

I ordered mine direct from aliexpress and it took a few weeks to arrive, but this was a couple of years ago so not sure how that holds up now. I've ordered a fair amount from there over the years and never had an issue.

I've transitioned to my main tent being a Trekkertent Stealth, which for the 1 man is 0.57kg and can be set up as a tarp if wanted and it feels more bombproof but costs nearly double so you would expect that.

Cameron_S 06 Mar 2021
In reply to pancakeandchips:

I'm not aware of any information on audits etc that's avaliable unfortunately.

If you are looking for something more ethically made I can recomend Trekkertent they are based in Scotland and made by one guy in his own workshop. I have a 2 man tent from him weighing 0.91kg and costing £250 which for a 4 season tent hand made in Scotland is a steal!

I've used it in the Cairngorms in some pretty poor weather and its held up perfectly.

In reply to Cameron_S:

Thanks for the heads up I hadn't heard of Trekkertent. I'll check them out.

Cameron_S 06 Mar 2021
In reply to pancakeandchips:

Just be aware as they are handmade they have a long lead time. Think mine took nearly 2 months, but as it was custom made didn't think that was unreasonable.

In reply to Cameron_S:

Hmmm... I've looked at Trekker Tents in the past but sort of forgot about them. Now seriously considering the Stealth again! 😀 The cost isn't outrageous by any means and nice to support a small UK firm. But I think the main thing is the weight - even with poles, that's really not much... Can you sit up reasonably comfortably in the high point at the front? Having a single pole down the middle of the door - is that a pain getting in and out? Thanks!

In reply to Cameron_S:

Which model did you get?

Sans-Plan 06 Mar 2021
In reply to TobyA:

The 2 man looks like a pretty good tent for mountain marathons and bike packing too, what do people use for poles that are not walking poles ?

Cameron_S 06 Mar 2021
In reply to TobyA:

The weight (or lacktherof) is the number 1 reason I got a stealth and I use hiking poles anyway.

I am 186cm (6ft 1) and use a thermarest inflatable pad and I can't comfortably sit uppright at the high point, I am hunched over. Depending on your height and pad it might work for you? This is an acceptable compromise for me as I don't sit up much in my tent anyway.

I find the single pole in the middle fine for getting in and out. If it was an issue you can set it up with 3 poles and have a pole to each side of the front door to make getting in and out of easier. 

Cameron_S 06 Mar 2021
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Stealth 2. It is 2 man in summer for me and the otherhalf, in winter I use it a solo tent as with all the extra kit its a bit tight for two.

Cameron_S 06 Mar 2021
In reply to Sans-Plan:

I use hiking poles anyway but if you didn't there are various places online that will make you custom tent pole lengths in a material of your choosing.

In reply to TobyA:

I had seen quite a few 3F tents in my searches. I liked the look and sound of the Tai-hang 3-pole tunnel.

But there seem to be so many sellers on Aliexpress, all with different details and a wide range of prices. I figured I really wouldn't know what I was likely to get.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32791514448.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2007101263.html

At least what appears to be a genuine website makes it a bit clearer about the options (fabric & inner type). Even if the prices do seem different again from those you find on Aliexpress...

http://3fulgear.com/index.php/product/taihang2-tunnel-tent/

I've bought quite a bit of (cheap) stuff from Banggood, where I wouldn't really have missed the few quid I'd spent, but I haven't yet plucked up the courage to venture into Aliexpress...

lithos 07 Mar 2021
In reply to TobyA:

i just made one out of spare sections of pole i have accumulated over the years, and i made a carbon fibre as well from 6mm kite spar (or arrow shafts).

not managed to use it properly in anger yet due current circumstances

JB 07 Mar 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

Hmmm that last link says the tent is suitable for "hash environment".

Sounds intriguing...

> I had seen quite a few 3F tents in my searches. I liked the look and sound of the Tai-hang 3-pole tunnel.

> But there seem to be so many sellers on Aliexpress, all with different details and a wide range of prices. I figured I really wouldn't know what I was likely to get.

> At least what appears to be a genuine website makes it a bit clearer about the options (fabric & inner type). Even if the prices do seem different again from those you find on Aliexpress...

> I've bought quite a bit of (cheap) stuff from Banggood, where I wouldn't really have missed the few quid I'd spent, but I haven't yet plucked up the courage to venture into Aliexpress...

In reply to JB:

> Hmmm that last link says the tent is suitable for "hash environment".

Ideal festival tent.. ?

shutuplegsuk 07 Mar 2021
In reply to Sans-Plan:

I’d recommend a pole from BearBones bikepacking:

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/shop/

Made in Wales, and without raising too many eyebrows, they are very stiff poles... I mean they won’t flex around in the wind/tent or tarp compression. 

In reply to TobyA:

Just on a side note, Amazon (US) have the Durston X-Mid 1 available, and the 2 will be available within the next week or so. I know the creator is trying to get them on the Amazon (UK) site too. There are various third party importers who can get the US or CA parcel and send it through to Europe for a fee.

Will be lighter and stronger than the Lanshan, I think, but more expensive. Plenty of third party poles available, 120-125cm but then you can specify the packed length for bike use. Still less than a kilo all up.

b

Damo 08 Mar 2021
In reply to TobyA:

I ordered one for a recent trip to Tasmania, but it never came (to me here in Australia). The payment went through and it seemingly was about to ship, then.... nothing. It was always going to take a few weeks, which is a lot, but after a while I grew suspicious at the silence then checked again on Ali and it was marked 'Cancelled' - no email, no message etc.

I Googled for similar situations and solutions and it was an option to just wait to see if it turned up anyway, but as by then I was a couple of weeks out from the trip I just went straight to 'Dispute' and Ali had it solved in 24hrs or so and my refund arrived several days later. Bit disappointing on the product end but can't fault the Customer Service re: complaints resolution and refund.

Ended up taking my 26 year old 3kg purple Macpac Minaret. And it was fine...

Roberttaylor 09 Mar 2021
In reply to TobyA:

I ordered the 3-season, 2-person version, plus a pair of drybags, directly from 3F. I received an email from them hours later saying that one of the drybags was out of stock and offering another product or a refund; I chose the refund, which came through within an hour of my reply.

While the tent hasn't arrived yet, I read a lot of reviews online before I pulled the trigger. My main concern was concerned that the mesh wouldn't be fine enough to stop midges, but according to at least one reviewer it is. 

I won't be able to check it over for another month or so (I'm on a ship) but I can let you know when it arrives to give you an idea of delivery times.

R

Roberttaylor 04 Apr 2021
In reply to Roberttaylor:

Update; it arrived and the quality is as good as I had hoped. Arrived three weeks or so after I ordered it. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...