3 season sleeping bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 30 May 2023

Evening

Can anyone please recommend to me a new sleeping bag?

I want something similar to the old ME Lightline.

Mummy fit, hood, full zip, down filled and comfort to 0 degrees C with scope to minus 5, weighing less than a kilo.

ME Classic 500 looks similar to what I want. 
thanks

Dave

LastBoyScout 30 May 2023
In reply to Dave the Rave:

ME Helium?

Andypeak 31 May 2023

To my mind the best value bag available at the moment is this one. Fits every bit of your criteria and I can personally vouch that it is brilliant. 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trekking-sleeping-bag-mt900-0-c-down/_/R-p-30...

Ryan23 31 May 2023

I have a Sea to Summit Spark II, comfy, light, works well. I haven't used it down to it's  limit though, I got it mainly for everything down to low single figures and I was warm at those temperatures.

OP Dave the Rave 31 May 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks.

That looks very similar to the classic 500 I was looking at but is lighter. Have you got one?

Ta

Dave

In reply to Ryan23:

Looks a nice bag, I’ll compare it to that helium which is a bit less expensive.

ta

dave

In reply to Andypeak:

Thanks Andy, I’ll have a closer look at the construction etc. I don’t have much experience with decathlon stuff

ta

dave

olddirtydoggy 31 May 2023

Sportsshoes.com has a Deuter bag with the same specs as your old Lightline except it's 200g lighter at 1kg and it's on offer at £155, around 100 quid off. Crunch the numbers and the spec but it might just work for you.

CantClimbTom 31 May 2023

The Sea to Summit Spark sp2 is a bit warmer than the Helium. Not taking the "comfort" numbers too seriously as it's so subjective

ME reckon helium comfort limit is comfort limit 10C (and extreme/suffering -1C) 415g and about £190 or something

Sea to summit sp2 is comfort -2C (and extreme/suffering -18C????? really??)  506g but you'll need to spend £330 or something to get one. https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/spark-spii-down-sleeping-bag/

The sea to summit bags are really really nice, I use the SP1 most of the time, and find it plenty warm for 3 season especially when it's in a bivy bag, but if you plan to go below zero you might get cold if not wearing a down jacket etc. https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/spark-spi-down-sleeping-bag/

if you sleep warm andor can wear an insulated jacket in the bag for occasional freezing temps,  maybe consider the less warm but insanely light Sea to summit Spark sp1 which is only 342g. Warning:  it does cost £270 or something

LastBoyScout 31 May 2023

> That looks very similar to the classic 500 I was looking at but is lighter. Have you got one?

Yes - can't remember if it's the 250 or the 400, though. Used mainly with a bivvy bag for bike packing in the summer.

In reply to LastBoyScout et al

Thanks a lot

I think I prefer the look of the Helium 400 and possibly the 600.

The sea to summit says it has stitched through lower half and the helium slant walk throughout.

I’m not too fussed about getting below a sub 500g  weight, 800 to 1000g is fine.

I’ve two bags currently, both 24 years old so I expect some degradation in performance with them. I’ve got an ME Snowline which I think is -15 comfort and an ME? Dream catcher which I think had a comfort to 0c, and packs small.

I took this to the highlands recently and it felt quite flimsy and sparse of down. Temp outside was 4c at night. I woke cold at 2am and had to do up the hood fully and make a proper pillow from a fleece, then got a good few hours sleep.

I think a helium 400 would give me a decent upgrade for late April to end of October hill camps in the lakes and Scotland?

Thanks

Dave

Oh, and then there’s the matt issue. Used a karrimat so that I could store it on the outside of my 40L pack. I should have just squashed in an old thermarest 3/4 which is pretty comfy but again 20 odd years old. Are new matts any better? 

LastBoyScout 31 May 2023

I've also got a Snowline of similar vintage - great bag, but I hardly get to use it at the moment.

It used to be possible to get down bags topped up with fresh down, but I'm a bit out of touch with who will do that these days - have a chat with ME and they may be able to point you in the right direction.

In reply to LastBoyScout:

The snowline seems as good as new, it has a lot of down to lose. The summer bag? Dream catcher never had much down but has been great. I’m not sure it’s worth having it topped up, it’s still a good summer bag. I just want something that’s going enable a smallish pack for 3 seasons that doesn’t necessitate taking the snowline which is bulky. I reckon one of those Heliums will fit the bill.

Thanks for your help 

Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...