3 person tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jethro kiernan 14 Feb 2021

I’m looking for ideas for a relatively lightweight 3 person tent to take the kids in the mountains, I have an MSR access for myself and I can squeeze a child in, my old quasar is a little snug for 3 and the ground sheet isn’t that waterproof any more.

I’ve considered a Lansan 3ul tipi type tent which seems light and enough room, I’m on a budget so don’t really want to spend to much for something that will only be used occasionally, I would consider paying a little more if someone had a second hand 3 person mountain tent as that may get more use in Scotland during the winter.

Andypeak 14 Feb 2021
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Not sure how light you want but the Trek 900  3 tent from Decathlon is pretty good. I've got the older version and I can't fault it for the cash. Certainly enough room for an adult and 2 kids. The new version is even lighter. They say 2.3kg but if it's like the old version you can knock 300 grams off because it comes with 2 bags, one of which is a heavy duty thing with loads of buckles etc. When you look at the materials used like DAC poles and silnylon it's pretty impressive for the money. 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trekking-tunnel-tent-trek-900-ultralight-3-pe...

Plasynant 14 Feb 2021

Hi Jethro,

I have a mountain hardware Trango 3 for sale . It’s in great condition used for about 10 nights in the alps it’s about 2 years old now . Let me know if interested. £350.00 plus postage. It’s the orange model . 

tallsteve 14 Feb 2021

Get something the kids can use themselves for scouts/DofE/post exam pissups in the local woods when they're a bit older.  They grow so fast and this tent will be pressed into service (assuming they fall in love with this outdoor mallarkey too!) so choose for now and then.

In reply to Plasynant:

Cheers Going to have a look 

summo 14 Feb 2021
In reply to tallsteve:

> Get something the kids can use themselves for scouts/DofE/post exam pissups in the local woods when they're a bit older.  They grow so fast and this tent will be pressed into service (assuming they fall in love with this outdoor mallarkey too!) so choose for now and then.

That's what I did. Bought a modestly priced 2 person tent for their teen shannigans. Cheaper than a set of new poles if they 'accidently' wrecked my good tent!

In reply to summo:

Yes, I have an old vau de that I’m happy for the to use for “teen” camping, my daughter is going to use the quasar for a mountain trip with friends I like the idea of it carrying on in the family 😄

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...