2 person lightweight tent advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Graeme G 26 Mar 2021

Currently trying to help someone decide on a new tent.

2 person, double skinned, lightweight and easy to pitch. Around £500

I’ve read various reviews, and whilst a few look promising, condensation appears to be an issue.

Anyone able to voice any opinion or experience to help us decide. TIA.

Mark Haward 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

More details would be useful to narrow down the options. For example: are you looking for a campsite tent or wild camping, car camping or long distance backpacking, summer or winter use, mountain or valley, UK or further afield? 

OP Graeme G 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Mark Haward:

Most likely wild camping eg 3 season overnighters on Munros (hike in, camp, hike out next day). Unlikely to be used outside UK. Thanks for replying. We wouldn’t plan to use it in bad weather, but obviously high in the hills you can’t always predict that you can avoid that.

boriselbrus 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

If it's of any interest I'm selling my F10 Helium UL2.  It's done a total of 11 dry nights, weighs around 1400g, in pretty much perfect condition apart from a tiny hole in the peg bag. Only selling as a wife and dog means I need something bigger.

Looking for around £150 posted

Mark Haward 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

So insect mesh will probably be high on the list of essential / desirable features! 

More questions:

Are you erring more towards comfort such as a tent you can sit up in / is quite spacious / has a porch ( large, medium or small ) or is the priority low weight so limited space / limited or no sitting room / little or no storage? 

To compare the extremes have a look at the tents on 'Ultralight Gear' website and compare to the Vango website if you haven't done so already. You may find the Vango tents perfectly acceptable - I have used them a lot with gold D of E groups camping in the mountains. I would also strongly recommend Alpkit tents, I have used a Kangri for many years.

Andy Chubb 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I have an MSR Mutha Hubba NX which I have used on the Coast to Coast, Pennine Way, Lakes and elsewhere and in some very windy and wet conditions. I'd describe as quite spacious for 2 people, a bit tight for 3. It's pretty easy to put up and the pole configuration maximises internal space and makes the tent very stable. It has a door at each end and storage space. At 2kg it's pretty light too. Midge mesh on the inner and vents on the outer. No problems with condensation - just unzip a bit if necessary. Comes in at under £500 with footprint. Great tent.

galpinos 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I am in the market and the top of my list is the Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL2.

In reply to Graeme G:

MSR Hubba Hubba was my tent of choice for over 2000 miles of continuous trekking. The ability to sit up/ kneel up was essential for me, I'd previously used a 2 man tunnel tent that was like getting into a kennel. The two side doors means its easier for midnight toilet trips and the porches are a good size for keeping gear in if needed. 

A word of caution, if your lazy like me then toilet trips can be made without leaving the comfort of your sleeping bag, just ensure your rucksack is not on the same side you're relieving yourself on! 

Olaf Prot 26 Mar 2021
In reply to boriselbrus:

Surely if it's big enough for two it will fit you and your dog and the wife can sleep outside?

J1234 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I like my Vaude Lightweight, not Ultra Light, light enough, super fast to pitch, enough space for two, back packing, certainly 3 season, not Multi Directional as far as wind is concerned, but if pitched correctly, very strong.
https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/profile.php?id=38108#&gid=1&pid=1

boriselbrus 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Olaf Prot:

You can suggest that if you like. I'm not brave enough!

Babika 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Boris\'s Johnson:

I bought the MSR Hubba Hubba in October just before we entered 5 months of lockdown so I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I can't wait! 

Not sure your toilet strategy will work with 2 of us in the tent though. If the gear is all on 1 side someone is going to have to scramble over..   The two side doors were a real plus point for us!

TMM 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

Not sure if your research has dug up this gem.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/scarp-2/

Strong, flexible (pole option), two porches, light, spacious and well made.

Have a look for some reviews.

OP Graeme G 26 Mar 2021
In reply to TMM:

Thanks all. Been checking out the ultralight gear website, but def some food for thought. 

OP Graeme G 26 Mar 2021
In reply to boriselbrus:

Might be interested. I’ll dm you

Toerag 26 Mar 2021
In reply to TMM:

Porches aren't particularly big, but then again many lightweight tents with a single porch don't have much porch space for two either. Interesting design though, will be interesting to see if it stands the test of time in terms of the crossing pole attachments (which most will want to use, if only to stop the suspending straps flapping around!)

Toerag 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

In terms of condensation, I've found my Hilleberg Kaitum2 suffers a lot less when I let the wind blow through the top of it. When I bought it it was the lightest 3 season+ double-porch tent on the market, I suspect it's out of your price range though, and there may now be other competition in the double porch space. Tunnels seem to offer the best space:weight ratio, but require a lot of pegging out (mine needs 18 pegs to pitch properly) compared to domey things.

Post edited at 12:35
OP Graeme G 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Toerag:

I still use my old Lightwave ZR0 and never had an issue with condensation. Want to make sure I don’t end up giving my brother a bum steer.

OP Graeme G 26 Mar 2021
In reply to TMM:

That’s interesting, not seen that one. Ta

alex505c 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

My partner and I have been happy with our MSR Elixir 2, which is I think a slightly more basic (and cheaper) version of the Hubba Hubba. It held up beautifully during a viciously windy all-night rainstorm in the Lakes. We were even able to cook breakfast in the vestibule while it was howling outside. 

Post edited at 13:58
 boriselbrus 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I have sent you some photos.

r0b 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Babika:

Also got a Hubba Hubba last year, only used it a couple of times but it is very spacious for its weight with huge porches.

OP Graeme G 27 Mar 2021
In reply to boriselbrus:

I’ll take it. Have emailed you.

Flinticus 27 Mar 2021
In reply to Mark Haward:

> More details would be useful to narrow down the options. For example: are you looking for a campsite tent or wild camping, car camping or long distance backpacking, summer or winter use, mountain or valley, UK or further afield? 

Who needs a lightweight £500 tent for a campsite or car camping? Those criteria point to wild camping.

Flinticus 27 Mar 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I've three tents:

Vaude Taurus UL - used precisely for what you intend. Its great. I've an older model which I prefer to the current. I also had the current model but sold it. Fiddly poles and pole sleeves. Not good experience pitching in winds with cold hands.

Trekkertent phreeranger: bought for same activities but 4 season and lighter. More expensive. Not yet used due to lockdown since Nov here in Glasgow. 5 months so far!

Tarptent Moment DW: as above but 3 season & not very windy conditions .  One person version. Very light weight and easy to pitch. Cramped with me, my dog and pack Doesn't help that she settles down on my sleeping bag as soon as its out. I'd get a larger one if buying again.

Post edited at 12:27
 Dr.S at work 27 Mar 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Do report on the phreeranger when you get to use it, I’m very tempted

SFM 27 Mar 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

What do you class as lightweight? 1kg, 1kg per person? New tent or second hand?

Easy pitch is that inner and outer up together?

I think for the budget you could get a TN Laser all seasons, Pioneer or maybe a second hand Southern Cross but I find TN’s minimal use of mesh on the inner can lead to condensation. Great tents though.

If you play the second hand markets then you may find some Hillebergs within budget.

I’m a fan of the Big Agnes tents but the almost all mesh inners might not be everyone’s cup of tea. Could look at the Fly Creek if 1kg is the target weight and are prepared to compromise on space/headroom. Mine has held up to some Interesting weather when I’ve used it in the highlands (always with a footprint). Not sure yet of durability as haven’t used mine enough! Condensation doesn’t seem to be an issue especially when compared to my Laser. 

I’ve never used any but what about Alpkit? Maybe someone on here has and can comment.

Wainers44 27 Mar 2021
In reply to SFM:

> I’ve never used any but what about Alpkit? Maybe someone on here has and can comment.

Bought an Ordos 2 Alpkit tent a couple of years back to use on the OMM. Very impressed.  1.4kg, quick to put up and stayed up during a typically crap OMM night. Not had much other use so far but happy with it.  See they are on sale at £199 at the moment.

Other 2 man I use is a Terra Nova Voyager.  Not a modern design and heavier than you want probably,  but pretty robust and feels like it will withstand ICBM attack!

Alexandre 12 Apr 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

Hi Graeme ! if you're looking for a lightweight two person tent, you should check the new French company named Samaya.

They are designing very light and technical tents. I have invested in the Samaya2.5 and I'd be glad to tell you more about it if your interested !

I am currently living close to them and it is a young friendly team

Wish you the best, 

Slarti B 12 Apr 2021
In reply to Alexandre:

They look really nice, but they also make Hilleberg look cheap!!!

OP Graeme G 12 Apr 2021
In reply to Slarti B:

> They look really nice, but they also make Hilleberg look cheap!!!

Exactly my thoughts 

Marmoteer 12 Apr 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I have used the Nordisk Telemark 2.2. Aside from a quick test in the dining room during lockdown, the first time I put it up in anger was in the dark...very easy to set up, spacious and survived some stormy weather. I didn’t get the condensation issue but I have only used it for 1 weekend

In reply to Slarti B:

I somehow suspect Alexandre lives very close to 'them', too...

TMM 13 Apr 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I somehow suspect Alexandre lives very close to 'them', too...

You old cynic. How could you say that about such an esteemed, long-standing forum user with such an extensive posting history?

Alexandre 13 Apr 2021

You're definitely right ! I am !

But did you know them before ? I am not earning anything... What do you think about their products after a quick check ? 

I am only helping a young brand familiar to me to get some international feedbacks.

In reply to Alexandre:

My suspicion is that you work for the company. Do you?

Using this forum for free advertising is an issue for the site owners.

Using deception as a means of promotion is an issue for me; I don't like being deceived, and that would very much discourage me from buying products from a company that used deception as a means of promotion.

If you are genuinely just a loyal customer, that's fine. It just seems rather odd that you should register just to post on this thread.

lboutside 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I'd vouch for the quality of Alpkit's tents for the price point, plus it's nice to have their 3 year alpine bond (not that i've ever had to use it but i've also heard nothing but good things from those who have.)

I've used the soloist a couple times now, obviously you'd want to go bigger. But even their Ordos 3 (for the bit extra room vs the Ordos 2) is just shy of £300 and weighs 2150g, the Ordos 2 being again cheaper and 1750g. Definitely 3 season tents, I don't think I'd want to have the Soloist up in mega winds but it's stood up to rain really well, seen the Ordos 2 out and about and it looks proper smart.

Plus with that extra £200 in your budget that's a lot of pocket money left over for other goodies. You could also buy 2 of them and still be less than the cost of a Hilleberg.

OP Graeme G 13 Apr 2021
In reply to lboutside:

Thanks. My brother ended up going for a Terra Nova Laser Compact. I’ll see how he gets on with that.

Alexandre 13 Apr 2021

Hi Captain paranoia, no I don't.

Graeme was asking for a light two person tents and this is exactly what is designed by Samaya. Because I am a customer of their first version of Samaya and I am very happy with it, I though it was interesting to share my opinion. 

I am a Hilleberg customer too and when I was looking for some really light product I found this new brand in the same French town as mine.

I hope to be well accepted at the end ! have a nice day

ben b 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

I'm a big fan of the Durston X-Mid 2P, but almost impossible to obtain for the time being due to popularity. 

1.1kg, double skin, two large porches, room to sit up, 4 pegs minimum. Uses 2 trekking poles. The main point of difference is the designer has put a huge amount of care into the design to ensure e.g rain doesn't drip in when opening the doors, the ventilation works, the thing is built with much strength etc. It also copes well with snow and high winds. I haven't yet found a significant downside other than almost impossible to source as the production runs have all sold out.The inner is mesh and I would prefer a nylon or mixed version for lousy weather, but that looks to be a year until they are made up; the fact that the designer is actually going to make a solid inner based on feedback is a pretty good sign. He's also working on a DCF version which will probably sell out in a few minutes because of the number of over-excited americans asking for it!

https://durstongear.com 

hopefully more available from Amazon (sadly) later in the year - this is a commercial agreement I suspect the designer is regretting a bit now!

Good luck with your quest. Laser Compact is a reasonable choice as long as you take it in turns to breathe in

b

In reply to Alexandre:

> Hi Captain paranoia, no I don't.

Okay, my apologies.

There have been rather a lot of 'new posters' recently, pushing all sorts of stuff, so I am living up to my name.

Welcome to UKC.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...